Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sun Tzu 7

On to the Eagles. Let the thought of this terrify you

147 posts in this topic

Just now, PokerSteve said:

I'm not going to criticize anybody who expresses massive disgust with yesterday's game. It was so bad, I still am having a difficult time processing the depths of the ineptitude and unpreparedness of this team. I'm not throwing in the towel, but I'm definitely not going to be making any rash predictions of a Falcons win next week, for dam sure. And I'm not going to disparage those who looked at this game and got madder than hel after all the expectations. This team deserves a little heat after that lame ****.

I agree with your sentiments. Quinn and Company need to feel heat, but they don't need utter panic either. I think we all knew this was going to be a tough game given how Quinn's teams typically start the season, and the level of the opponent we were facing on the road. I'm not at the 'fire everyone' stage that so many people went straight to after this game ... though the option has now entered my brain space to mull over if this trend continues. 

PokerSteve and Dr Long Shot like this

In Oliver's defense...was that his 2nd or 3rd NFL start??

Playing against one of the shiftiest/top receivers in the league?

Geneaut likes this

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yeah I get the argument.....I just wish he would have been a bit more affirmative in going at the ball carrier. That way you either still push him back inside or you force him to go over the outside block and hopefully buy your teammates an extra beat or two to get to the pylon. Not a huge deal but I though it was a little interesting...

Nope. He absolutely can not go inside there unless he knows he can win it. He was just in a tough spot. It's easy to say what you wish he would have done, but the complaint should be the lack of edge contain from the front seven once again. Oliver did the only thing he could do there to help the play. Clayborn shooting inside when his sole job is edge contain is what caused this to begin with. Neal got held honestly, but even then, he was slow getting out there. It's just Oliver is the one who's getting the blame, similar to the run in preseason where Takk shot inside and left his CB on an island. 

PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

I am really curious as to how Matthews rebounds.

He was setting up very wide and anchoring to the outside and that opened him up to the spin move inside....I wonder if he was expecting help inside and he did not get it.

Schwarzwald likes this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Still an Eagles team that DQ beat...

Yea, last two games the Eagles have scored a whopping 18 points and 15 points. World beaters? Lol come on. For a guy with a name like Da_Truth, you aren't getting close to speaking any. Literally, one play different in either game and the Falcons win. Neal intercepts the pass in the playoffs and the Falcons win that game. Sark calls a better goal line play in the week one match up and they win. We didn't make them look like world beaters my friend. 

I don't care if they lost by one point.  Fact is, did they win the game or not?  No shoulda, woulda, coulda.  Quinn chose Sark didn't he?  He's the HC and can have input on plays being called can't he?  I said he made them look like "world beaters" because they couldn't win when they had multiple opportunities.  No excuses for this team.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

He was setting up very wide and anchoring to the outside and that opened him up to the spin move inside....I wonder if he was expecting help inside and he did not get it.

And he's never going to get it.

ALL the help is going to the right side.

1 minute ago, Da_Truth said:

I don't care if they lost by one point.  Fact is, did they win the game or not?  No shoulda, woulda, coulda.  Quinn chose Sark didn't he?  He's the HC and can have input on plays being called can't he?  I said he made them look like "world beaters" because they couldn't win when they had multiple opportunities.  No excuses for this team.

No, you said they made them look like world beaters, when that is factually not true. They lost a tight game to a playoff/SB champ twice. That's not making them to look like world beaters. 

Schwarzwald likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

No, you said they made them look like world beaters, when that is factually not true. They lost a tight game to a playoff/SB champ twice. That's not making them to look like world beaters. 

You're correct. It was a tight game and I'm just tired of being on the losing end to teams we are more than capable of beating.

11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm not going to criticize anybody who expresses massive disgust with yesterday's game. It was so bad, I still am having a difficult time processing the depths of the ineptitude and unpreparedness of this team. I'm not throwing in the towel, but I'm definitely not going to be making any rash predictions of a Falcons win next week, for dam sure. And I'm not going to disparage those who looked at this game and got madder than hel after all the expectations. This team deserves a little heat after that lame ****.

I don't dispute that, but essentially this is 1/16th of the regular season with a bunch of new players and coaches. We looked horrid but it's essentially the same as judging a game based on half a drive. This isn't a large enough sample on this unit to run for the hills, most reasonable fans understand this. 

PokerSteve and vel like this

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Oliver shouldn't even be mentioned in regards to covering Jackson though IMO. You're right, Allen is the one to be concerned about. He's going to be held accountable for not allowing deep bombs. Can't be much miscommunication in the secondary at all or it's gonna be a long night

Yeah, normally we'd hope to stop the run and let our pass rushers tee off, but that's where we are at. Gotta beat that OL the Eagles have in obvious passing situations because our guys can't play man that long. Too young at CB behind Tru. It is what it is. We knew Oliver would need to take his lumps. Good news is that he has the length to help him vs speedy receivers. Allen/Kazee/Neal/Debo are so key for us moving forward. Neal looked slow going laterally yesterday.

Our offense has to get their act together and run the ball, playcall well and not pigeon hole the D to start out of the gates. Blocked Punt, INT, and fumble all in 1 half on the road vs a good team = snowballed game.

ya_boi_j likes this

13 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

11 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

To be fair, I think he has a point. Being beaten soundly on that spin move was just nasty by Jake. He just played bad. His worst game in a LONG time. He had a really good 2018. We need that Jake back with Lindstrom getting hurt and Kaleb McGary still trying to get up to speed both physically and to the NFL. This is why we have the vets signed.

I really hope Lindstrom can come back this year if it's a break of any kind because he showed promise in pass protection yesterday. That alone is gonna help your Left side, we can always work in chips to help McGary, but Matthews doing his job was usually not in the question.

ya_boi_j, PokerSteve and falconsd56 like this

2 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I don't dispute that, but essentially this is 1/16th of the regular season with a bunch of new players and coaches. We looked horrid but it's essentially the same as judging a game based on half a drive. This isn't a large enough sample on this unit to run for the hills, most reasonable fans understand this. 

Very true, and most of us here will have returned to reasonable levels of emotional stability by Thursday. Friday at the latest. :lol:

Geneaut and Dr Long Shot like this

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Actually there was a back to his side on a couple of the sacks....they (freeman mostly) checked for a blitzer and then went into a pass route....I wonder if Free was suppose to hang in longer ?

3 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

You're correct. It was a tight game and I'm just tired of being on the losing end to teams we are more than capable of beating.

I get it. I'm not saying I like it. But this is my thing, from Ol Smitty:

Win your games at home. Split on the road. You're 12-4. 

The Falcons have lost tight games to the Eagles on the road. The last time they beat them...was at home. They just lost to the Vikings on the road. It was ugly, but that's not anything to be ashamed of. Yall are dealing with a lot of recency bias. We should be able to beat tough teams at home. We need to find ways to steal games on the road. We didn't Sunday, but if they can steal 3-4 games on the road and go 8-0 at home, that's a 10-12 win season. I'd rather them lose to the Vikings on the road, a top four team in the NFC based on projections, than get embarrassed at home.

Geneaut, Schwarzwald, Vandy and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Actually there was a back to his side on a couple of the sacks....they (freeman mostly) checked for a blitzer and then went into a pass route....I wonder if Free was suppose to hang in longer ?

It's tough to say.

On Matt's 1st pick Freeman is there to assist in protect but McGary's guy blows by him like he's not there.  He gets by him so fast Freeman can't get over to assist in time... or Freeman is just bad at pass protection.

Eagles fans already salivating at our matchup. Looks like even their fans know the easy recipe to beat us. Hopefully we switch things up at RB and have Ito take the bulk of the snaps, and play screens better. I actually like us rushing 4 more than rushing 5 as beasley is worthless anyway. 

My game plan vs the Falcons would be a heavy dose of Jordan Howard.... Use the powe run game....The falcons D is built on speed but the unit is smaller because of it.... Wear them down with a bulldozer like Howard by the time the 4 qtr comes around the unit should be gassed.[/quote]

ATL looked flat.Freeman is stoppable,leaves Julio basically.Their defense doesn't scare me.I once again look for every player to contribute as once again they just don't have the personnel

Edited by Beast from the middle east

4 minutes ago, vel said:

I get it. I'm not saying I like it. But this is my thing, from Ol Smitty:

Win your games at home. Split on the road. You're 12-4

The Falcons have lost tight games to the Eagles on the road. The last time they beat them...was at home. They just lost to the Vikings on the road. It was ugly, but that's not anything to be ashamed of. Yall are dealing with a lot of recency bias. We should be able to beat tough teams at home. We need to find ways to steal games on the road. We didn't Sunday, but if they can steal 3-4 games on the road and go 8-0 at home, that's a 10-12 win season. I'd rather them lose to the Vikings on the road, a top four team in the NFC based on projections, than get embarrassed at home.

Exactly! But this team loses to teams they should beat at home as well.  Oh well...enough venting.  It just drives me nuts to see the same repeated mistakes that this HC keeps saying they'll fix.  Plus this team has a tendency of starting the season slow and tending to get better as the season goes on.  Just want to see them come out the gates hot for once.

vel and PokerSteve like this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It's tough to say.

On Matt's 1st pick Freeman is there to assist in protect but McGary's guy blows by him like he's not there.  He gets by him so fast Freeman can't get over to assist in time... or Freeman is just bad at pass protection.

Yeah...hard to tell exactly.

Regardless.....it needs to be better

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Debbie Downers lol

Oliver had a tough game. It happens. DeSean Jackson had a great game. It happens. Expecting both of these things to happen again is a illogical. The last time Jackson had 150+ yards? 2015. You know the last time DeSean Jackson had 100+ yards versus Atlanta? Never. 

Our secondary is a strength. One game where Oliver had to cover one of the better route runners in the league and he struggled isn't changing my mind on that. Yes, the Eagles OL is legit, but I'm not throwing the towel in. Yall can, as usual. 

One has to 1st try before saying they give up.manning.jpg.f9279c687547fcff2cc8d4c940041a1f.jpg

PokerSteve and vel like this

4 minutes ago, Beast from the middle east said:

Eagles fans already salivating at our marchup.

Unless Matt is going to have his first back to back multiple INT games since 2017 again next Sunday...

Philly was getting handled by Washington for a minute at home. With no AP, Guice getting hurt, and Case Keenum dishing it. Come on. 

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Unless Matt is going to have his first back to back multiple INT games since 2017 again next Sunday...

Philly was getting handled by Washington for a minute at home. With no AP, Guice getting hurt, and Case Keenum dishing it. Come on. 

Even with MR2 at his best unless we win the turnover battle it will be a wrap. 

Definitely don’t like the prospect of Oliver going against Jackson or really anyone decent at this point. However, let’s not act like the Eagles looked like world beaters on Sunday. They were getting beat for most of the game until the talent difference finally showed up. If Keenum and a ragtag o-line and a group of no-name WRs can give that Eagles D trouble and score 27 on them, there’s no reason why we can’t do the same. 

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Y’all still think we shouldn’t be playing anything but man coverage now?

Who doesn't love some man on man.