Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sun Tzu 7

On to the Eagles. Let the thought of this terrify you

147 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Def more of a safety concern. Although I think Adam Thielen is a much much tougher cover than Jackson. Thielen can do it all and is one of the ~7 or so best route runners in the league. He's a stud. 

I'm somewhat encouraged by the fact that for the most part, Quinn has done a really good job gameplanning against the Eagles over the years. Unfortunately, the same is true for Schwartz defenses against our offense. 

Exactly. Oliver had to cover a very tough cover in Thielen. Jackson is fast, but beyond that, he's not the route running phenom Thielen is. Oliver should be better. Especially given he's the only deep threat. Stay over top him with safety help at all times. He can battle with Jeffrey. 

Folks are so ready to throw the towel in after one game. I don't think many people around here had this game written in as a win before the season started anyway. I expected a loss more than a close win. I figured the offense would struggle to scrape out 20 points. Once the turnovers happened, it was over before it started. With this one, they play cleaner football, the front seven plays better run defense, and they can beat the Eagles. This place suddenly thinks the entire roster stinks. Week one man...smh

15 minutes ago, vel said:

Debbie Downers lol

Oliver had a tough game. It happens. DeSean Jackson had a great game. It happens. Expecting both of these things to happen again is a illogical. The last time Jackson had 150+ yards? 2015. You know the last time DeSean Jackson had 100+ yards versus Atlanta? Never. 

Our secondary is a strength. One game where Oliver had to cover one of the better route runners in the league and he struggled isn't changing my mind on that. Yes, the Eagles OL is legit, but I'm not throwing the towel in. Yall can, as usual. 

Vikes passed for 98 yards, but ran for 170+. 

And people are throwing stones at CB Oliver? LOL.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Adam Thielen and Desean Jackson are radically different players. 

True, but Jackson is still good at getting deep. It could be another butt-kicking for Oliver this week, but in a different fashion. 

1 minute ago, Zzzzz said:

True, but Jackson is still good at getting deep. It could be another butt-kicking for Oliver this week, but in a different fashion. 

Safeties should be helping with deep coverage.

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Vikes passed for 98 yards, but ran for 170+. 

And people are throwing stones at CB Oliver? 

Because Thielen beat him for a TD and he got called for a penalty that one time. 

Yep. Let's throw the CB away lol. Stupid. Again, I'm not mincing words. Thielen would have given Tru the same fits. He's that good. But when you don't watch football outside of Atlanta, you wouldn't know it. He didn't do anything I didn't expect him to do to Oliver. I'm more upset at the absolute confusion they had stopping the run against a scheme we knew and run a similar variation of. They sold out to stop inside zone runs against an outside zone team. Stupid. 

Just now, Geneaut said:

Safeties should be helping with deep coverage.

Hopefully we contain the run game and the safety responsible doesn't have to cheat up and gets caught out of position. But yesterday didn't inspire much confidence in our run defense, obviously. 

JDaveG likes this

4 minutes ago, Zzzzz said:

Sure, but thats not an Oliver problem...that's a Ricardo Allen problem. Well...the secondary in total. 

Frankly, I didnt think Oliver played all that poorly yesterday. I think the penalty on him was a weak call. The "contain" decision on the Cook run was pretty awful....not sure what that was all about. But its not like he was an utter travesty. He didnt even have the opportunity to be godawful. 

14 minutes ago, vel said:

Because Thielen beat him for a TD and he got called for a penalty that one time. 

Yep. Let's throw the CB away lol. Stupid. Again, I'm not mincing words. Thielen would have given Tru the same fits. He's that good. But when you don't watch football outside of Atlanta, you wouldn't know it. He didn't do anything I didn't expect him to do to Oliver. I'm more upset at the absolute confusion they had stopping the run against a scheme we knew and run a similar variation of. They sold out to stop inside zone runs against an outside zone team. Stupid. 

Same. Anyone who knows football saw that was the issue on defense. Blaming the secondary is just ramblings from the village idiots. 

On offense, the OL obviously isn’t gelling yet. Not surprised, tough go against a stellar DL. Matt looked rusty as well, but to be fair he was under duress with their pass rush teeing off with us abandoning the run game. 

Ugly game for us. A lot for coaching staff to clean up. But secondary is way down that list. 

kiwifalcon, JDaveG and vel like this

30 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

You have 87 posts on the board. Take it easy, Skip Bayless. 

LOL.

The 3 amigo mods are kicking some *** this weekend!

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Sure, but thats not an Oliver problem...that's a Ricardo Allen problem. Well...the secondary in total. 

Frankly, I didnt think Oliver played all that poorly yesterday. I think the penalty on him was a weak call. The "contain" decision on the Cook run was pretty awful....not sure what that was all about. But its not like he was an utter travesty. He didnt even have the opportunity to be godawful. 

On that run vs Cook, he was in a tough spot. The block had leverage, so if he tries and plays Cook, Cook will get outside. Play the block and force it inside and give yourself a chance. 

He shoots inside and misses, like a lot of defenders were doing yesterday, Neal has absolutely no chances to make a play. Force him inside like he did and you at least have the chance. It still ended up being a TD, but he did the right thing. 

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Oliver having to cover Desean Jackson.

Eagles are going to look at the tape and see how Oliver couldn’t cover Thielen and are going to get Jackson one on one with Oliver.  

That’s a penalty or TD waiting to happen...

A Quinn coached team won't be the Eagles--just like they couldn't beat the Vikings in four tries. At least as the Falcons HC he can't. Pitiful.  

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Same. Anyone who knows football saw that was the issue on defense. Blaming the secondary is just ramblings from the village idiots. 

On offense, the OL obviously isn’t gelling yet. Not surprised, tough go against a stellar DL. Matt looked rusty as well, but to be fair he was under duress with their pass rush teeing off with us abandoning the run game. 

Ugly game for us. A lot for coaching staff to clean up. But secondary is way down that list. 

Yep. Matt ain't playing like that twice. Jake neither. That's just two right there. It's all fixable. That's why I'm not fully pissed yet. Matt throws two passes in the dirt instead of picks and this might come down to a FG to win late in the game instead of a blow out. Freeman holds on to the ball and it's the same thing. We're talking about the worst things we've seen from some of our more steady players. 

If this was a game in December and we've seen this all season, then I'm on board with the complaints. But it's week one. Give me this right now instead of some false hope from blowing out the Dolphins for example (not a shot at the Ravens) cuz then you think you have no issues to work on. We'll see just what kind of coach DQ is the next few weeks. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Yep. Matt ain't playing like that twice. Jake neither. That's just two right there. It's all fixable. That's why I'm not fully pissed yet. Matt throws two passes in the dirt instead of picks and this might come down to a FG to win late in the game instead of a blow out. Freeman holds on to the ball and it's the same thing. We're talking about the worst things we've seen from some of our more steady players. 

If this was a game in December and we've seen this all season, then I'm on board with the complaints. But it's week one. Give me this right now instead of some false hope from blowing out the Dolphins for example (not a shot at the Ravens) cuz then you think you have no issues to work on. We'll see just what kind of coach DQ is the next few weeks. 

I’m pizzed by the lethargic effort. But I trust they will get that cleaned up next week. 

JDaveG, kiwifalcon, Geneaut and 1 other like this

Despite the garbage laid on the field today, nothing about the Eagles should "terrify" you.

They got all they could handle from at home from Keenum and a bunch of rookie receivers.

It's impossible to talk tough right now but they should be used to seeing DJax. I'm not saying they shut him down completely but he shouldn't be the reason they lose.

JDaveG and Geneaut like this

5 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

A Quinn coached team won't be the Eagles--just like they couldn't beat the Vikings in four tries. At least as the Falcons HC he can't. Pitiful.  

Wasn't Dan Quinn's very first game coaching the Falcons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-uSHLVSob8

Win vs Philadelphia. At home. But I guess, that's not as funny as crying. 

Vandy likes this

36 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Oliver isn't covering D-Jax.

I expect one of the faster corners or the slot corner to be matched up with him.

Maybe not as his primary assignment but the Vikings were able to get Diggs matched up on Campbell yesterday for a 30 yard gain.

At some point Oliver is going to end up covering Jackson. 

That's not the Eagles only weapon.  It's just the one that they're going to throw out after pounding the ball and drawing up the LBs and Neal to stop the run.

PokerSteve likes this

32 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I've seen enough football to not put too much stock in one game, especially one were we essentially had four tunrovers, two deep in our own side of the field and two other deep inside Minnesota territory.  Our offensive line was 3-5ths completely new with two rookies, we had a drastic turnover at every coaching position, meanwhile Minnesota has Zimmer in year 6, Stefanski as OC who has been with the team for 14 seasons, the exact team as last season (with the addition of a healthy Cook), playing at home, and getting all of the bounces to go their way early and often. 

The game was a massive disappointment, no denying that, but fans throwing in the towel are running around like its code red need to chill out. We lost a non-divisional game on the road due mainly to a -4 turnover differential which we may never see again all year. 

I'm not going to criticize anybody who expresses massive disgust with yesterday's game. It was so bad, I still am having a difficult time processing the depths of the ineptitude and unpreparedness of this team. I'm not throwing in the towel, but I'm definitely not going to be making any rash predictions of a Falcons win next week, for dam sure. And I'm not going to disparage those who looked at this game and got madder than hel after all the expectations. This team deserves a little heat after that lame ****.

vel, Sun Tzu 7, Geneaut and 2 others like this

12 minutes ago, vel said:

On that run vs Cook, he was in a tough spot. The block had leverage, so if he tries and plays Cook, Cook will get outside. Play the block and force it inside and give yourself a chance. 

He shoots inside and misses, like a lot of defenders were doing yesterday, Neal has absolutely no chances to make a play. Force him inside like he did and you at least have the chance. It still ended up being a TD, but he did the right thing. 

Yeah I get the argument.....I just wish he would have been a bit more affirmative in going at the ball carrier. That way you either still push him back inside or you force him to go over the outside block and hopefully buy your teammates an extra beat or two to get to the pylon. Not a huge deal but I though it was a little interesting...

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes the Chip Kelly Eagles.

THIS Eagles team is a little different.

Still an Eagles team that DQ beat...

3 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Forgot about this game.  All that sticks in my mind is the last couple of times we've played them and made them look like all world beaters.

Yea, last two games the Eagles have scored a whopping 18 points and 15 points. World beaters? Lol come on. For a guy with a name like Da_Truth, you aren't getting close to speaking any. Literally, one play different in either game and the Falcons win. Neal intercepts the pass in the playoffs and the Falcons win that game. Sark calls a better goal line play in the week one match up and they win. We didn't make them look like world beaters my friend. 

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I survived Soviet Communism so a football team doesn't 'terrify' me. I also survived the Backstreet Boys. Bring on the Eagles!

Geneaut likes this

2 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

I don't think we've ever had some one shadow, rather Kazee cover him anyway 

Did kazee play yesterday?  I don’t ever recall seeing him out there or hearing his name