Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EpicBird

Time for Quinn to grow up as a coach

52 posts in this topic

One question: Where’s the discipline? 

I think it’s pretty clear that the relentless positivity, genuine love for the game and players, and rah-rah atmosphere has become stale. The continuing penalties, all of which seem to be costly and come at the worst time, the over-valuing of personnel, churning through assistants, the bad situational and game management all reflect directly on Quinn. He is accountable, period.

Without knowing what goes on behind closed doors, I’d like to see him become way less tolerant of mistakes, penalties, and general incompetence. If that means sending messages to players (looking at you Devonta Freeman, with another red zone fumble) then so be it.

You don’t need to be friends with every player. Well coached, consistent teams just don’t regularly self destruct and appear unprepared like we’ve seen throughout the Quinn era. What I saw yesterday, last year, and the year before for that matter, screams out for a change in approach. 

It looked like *Smith got more reps after frees fumble. But I don't get how as a defensive coach, we got killed with the same outside toss runs that we ran to death last year with sark.. By dalvin Cook and his back up. They aren't trash, but I woulda been heated seeing cook flex his shoulders and shizz after every run 

Edited by Dirtybird3
EpicBird likes this

5 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

It looked like Hill got more reps after frees fumble. But I don't get how as a defensive coach, we got killed with the same outside toss runs that we ran to death last year with sark.. By Calvin Cook and his back up. They aren't trash, but I woulda been heated seeing cook flex his shoulders and shizz after every run 

Yeah and him coming back from injury and just running wild like that. No outside contain. Arm tackling and no will to really be out there. Looked like my highschool players lol

Dirtybird3 likes this

Not only does the lack of discipline reflect bad on Quinn, I think it’s a indictment on TD as well. Ultimately the players are the once who have to be disciplined and execute, no matter how much a coach edifies and inspires at the end of the day it’s up to the players to play.  With that being said personnel decisions have to be put under scrutiny, they supposedly draft and sign high character, high intellect guys but it rarely shows up on tape. So maybe they need to take a strong look at how they evaluate as well

20 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

It looked like Hill got more reps after frees fumble. But I don't get how as a defensive coach, we got killed with the same outside toss runs that we ran to death last year with sark.. By Calvin Cook and his back up. They aren't trash, but I woulda been heated seeing cook flex his shoulders and shizz after every run 

Ito smith

Hill was inactive 

Dirtybird3 likes this

18 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Hill was inactive, who you saw was Ito Smith, ok.

In fact both our bigger backs were inactive.

With all those outside runs, looked like the Falcons conceded the middle of the field to the Vikes.  How can you do that and expect to win?

Dirtybird3, ukfalc and Malachore like this

Discipline!!

Yes I have to totally agree, where is it. The turnovers and mistakes are fixable, but discipline falls squarely on Quinn. This is nothing new, same old mistakes, costly year after year. You would think they would learn -- to me it's the message Quinn is putting out. TOOO soft for my liking. Here's to hoping for a different result while doing the same old silly mistakes. SMDH

They are expecting tak and vic to set the edge. They are asking a lot from vic  to do that. Defense was put in bad spots outside of that but contain was bad.

Seem like we had to drive a lot. Vikes had short field.

I never totally understood the Quinn hire. He's basically Mike Smith in drag. Both had/have trouble finishing games, drives and stopping teams on third and long. I can see getting fed up with Smith, but why replace him with a nearly exact replica? 

NCFalconfan likes this

Those holding the WR, and shots after the play penalties by Keanu have to be cleaned up. Simply inexcusable. Those dbs and lbs have no confidence and get too grabby. 

Edited by Beast from the middle east
Please delete

22 minutes ago, Beast from the middle east said:

Those holding the WR, and shots after the play penalties by Keanu have to be cleaned up. Simply inexcusable. Those dbs and lbs have no confidence and get too grabby. 

The shot by Keanu should not have been called a penalty. He started hitting him while he was in bounds. Even the announcers agreed on that one but it is not a reviewable play unfortunately.

1 hour ago, B_84falcons said:

Yeah and him coming back from injury and just running wild like that. No outside contain. Arm tackling and no will to really be out there. Looked like my highschool players lol

Exactly. Other teams are prepared more than the falcons or our players need time to acclimate to the game after injury. It’s always the Falcons and always an excuse. Smmfh

1 hour ago, Dirtybird3 said:

It looked like *Smith got more reps after frees fumble. But I don't get how as a defensive coach, we got killed with the same outside toss runs that we ran to death last year with sark.. By dalvin Cook and his back up. They aren't trash, but I woulda been heated seeing cook flex his shoulders and shizz after every run 

The same outside zone and tosses that our defense goes against everyday in practice?  This is what baffles me. We got some weak *** players on this defense.

Dirtybird3 likes this

I find it troubling that after four years of Quinn, we still commit tons of penalties and lack discipline. I usually give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know right now man. Quinn's too undisciplined in his teachings and Smitty was too disciplined and stressed not committing penalties so our guys played timid and not freely. We need a blend of both it seems like right now. 

I'm giving the defense a pass last year because of the injuries all at once because they showed real potential in 2016, improved in 2017, stepped back in 2018 and with a full healthy squad and Quinn calling the shots, he's got NO excuses left. This is HIS defense now. I saw some good glimpses in preseason. They can't let the Eagles run all over them. If they do, game is over just like yesterday. Quinn keeps stressing limiting penalties for four years now, it's time to show it. You would think Quinn's style of playing fast and free would result in a confident and aggressive defense. I know that's his vision but you gotta have gap discipline and proper technique and execute the fast and free mentality if you want results...can't just stress it and expect things to just fall into place. Good teams like Vikings will exploit your weaknesses 

kiwifalcon, EpicBird, rounz and 2 others like this

We were one of the 5 least penalized teams in the league last year. We were average in 2017. We were one of the 7 MOST penalized teams in the league in 2016 and we went to the Super Bowl. 

I don't know that "penalties" or what people think of as "discipline" is as much at fault here as we think. 

I do wonder if we're on the back end of the league development cycle as it relates to this "early-10s Seahawks" defensive approach. 

If this defense doesnt bounce back and play closer to how it played at the end of 16/17, it may be time to go in a different direction. 

The team has overcome bad run defense in the past to win games. What you can't over come is 3 turnovers, two in the redzone one on our 30 and a blocked punt deep your own territory.

The team installed new philosophies on offense, defense and ST and showed they aren't quite ready yet.

Geneaut likes this

Look, I like Quinn. Yeah his rah rah and brotherhood stuff can wear on you after a while, but we find crap to razz all our coaches about. Smitty was hat tipping and processing. That said - I think you have to have something to say to the press because frankly in this day and age you have to have a cliche to tell them otherwise they are going to run with something else you said and go crazy with it. Mutter some platitudes and move on to the next question.

My main critique of Quinn is he does exude a lack of urgency at times when I'd like to sense he's a little more upset about things. A little more pre-heart attack Smitty or Glanville would be nice at times. Maybe more Smitty than Glanville ;)

Edited by Geneaut

8 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Is it just me or is Quinn starting to remind anyone else of Mora?

The lack of preparation is very concerning - especially the blocked punt and a defense that looked lost.

Geneaut likes this

11 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Is it just me or is Quinn starting to remind anyone else of Mora?

I hadn't thought about that. The rah rah buddy buddy thing then just sort of a glazed over look with no change in coaching or game prep.

Edited by Geneaut