• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I mean, the D probably would've performed better had the O not turned the ball over 4 times and twice on the Falcons' 30.

Top pass defense. Let's Go baby

That's right. As of right now the Falcons have the #7 defense after all that. This is proof that stats are misleading. #1 against the pass but the 3rd worst against the run. Enjoy

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

This ignores the reality that Minnesota has very clearly said they have planned to run the ball a TON this year. They only had 4 WRs active. Heck, I'm pretty sure they only have 4 WRs on the roster. 

They didnt "go" conservative.....they are "conservative." They had the good fortune of early turnovers creating a situation that fit right into what they want to do. They're obviously not going to have many games where they throw the ball 10 times but this isnt a team that wants to average 40 pass attempts a game. If Mike Zimmer knew he could be competitive the rest of the season averaging 10 passing attempts a game, he'd sign up in a heartbeat. 

Not really.  It is what it is. 

In the 4th quarter they didn't even attempt to throw the ball because they didn't need to. 

The key to me is the 3rd quarter when it was 21-0.  Over 6 yards a carry.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Lol this is exactly why when people try to convince me we had a top 10 defense in 2017 I didn't believe it. 98 yards allowed, man they must have shut down the pass?! Lol nope. Got steamrolled on the ground, no point in throwing it. 

Exactly, and another reason why my expectations for this year were tempered.

Advance stats show a different story in 2017. Common sense should tellyou they weren't top10.

They faced the fewest  Offensive possessions in the league because they couldn't get off the field at times and our offense was more methodical. Points per possession they were middle of the pack and about where they were.

That defense was decent, especially for us, but nothing special and had several shortcomings 

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In the 4th quarter they didn't even attempt to throw the ball because they didn't need to. 

....but thats literally what they want to do. That wasnt a happy accident of "oh, well we're moving the ball, let's hold off on the pass." Its who they want to be.

And frankly, WE let it happen on half a dozen occasions. You can't move the ball in chunks and then fumble on the opponent's 20. You can't waste a snap inside the 5 with miscommunication. You can't get a stop on 3rd down only to have it taken off the board by an away from the play penalty. You can't have a clear sack opportunity only to take your foot off the gas like a goofball. 

6 yards a carry is nice and all but it isnt sufficient unless the other team is blowing their opportunities. 

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

They didn’t really throw the ball regardless. The Falcons did legitimately tighten up against the run as the game wore on. I thought Davidson actually did very well specifically and obviously Grady. Vic and Takk were atrocious early, but they figured out how to contain finally. I am honestly more upset about the offense and STs turning the ball over than anything in this one. 

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That's right.

As of right now the Falcons have the #7 defense after all that.

This is proof that stats are misleading.

#1 against the pass but the 3rd worst against the run.

Enjoy it while it lasts because the Eagles are going to destroy this.

That's because the Vikings barely threw the ball.  They were content running it down the Falcons throats.  When something works, keep doing it until the opponent proves they can stop it.  This team too light in the *** and has always struggled stopping the run.  I'm beginning to tire of Quinn and his B.S.

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Well, I mean, the D probably would've performed better had the O not turned the ball over 4 times and twice on the Falcons' 30.

Pretty much.

But yes, overall yard rankings after one game are probably the absolute most meaningless statistics that one can find in sports. 

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Pretty much.

But yes, overall yard rankings after one game are probably the absolute most meaningless statistics that one can find in sports. 

Yes yes yes. 

Take an inherent flawed number and add in the smallest possible sample. 

Not gonna see a lot of quality output. 

That's right.

Completely Misleading......Minnesota Ran the ball 38 times!  Only attempted 10 passes.

Quinn is too cute....trying to run a 5-2-4.....that has never been proven to work!

Never adjusted to stop the run because Team was not set up to run a more traditional 4-3 or 3-4.  Sad.

Edited by lostnmexico
Just now, lostnmexico said:

Completely Misleading......Minnesota Ran the ball 38 times!  Only attempted 10 passes.

Quinn is too cute....trying to run a 5-2-4.....that has never been proven to work!

Never adjusted to stop the run because Team was not set up to run a more traditional 4-3 or 3-4.  Sad.

lol this post from 1993

10 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

They didn’t really throw the ball regardless. The Falcons did legitimately tighten up against the run as the game wore on. I thought Davidson actually did very well specifically and obviously Grady. Vic and Takk were atrocious early, but they figured out how to contain finally. I am honestly more upset about the offense and STs turning the ball over than anything in this one. 

Again maybe by the 4th quarter but by then it was too late.

I'm not saying the Vikings weren't successful throwing the ball in the 4th quarter.  No,  they didn't even try to throw the ball.

Again in the 3rd quarter when it was 21-0 and the Falcons had a chance the Vikings averaged over 6 yards a carry.  After the interception in the endzone they marched 80 yards and scored a TD.  Not a FG but put it in the endzone.

After a game like this I can't look at it and say the Falcons were good against the run at any point in the game. Especially once the other team is up 28 to nothing and takes their foot off the gas.

That's right.

How’s that? I guarantee they get whatever was wrong with setting the edge this week and as long as the offense doesn’t turn the ball over with all those mistakes it will be a much better game. And it’s home. 

20 minutes ago, vel said:

When the teams they played averaged 23 points or less, that's not an accomplishment. That's showing up and being average. 

The Seahawks, Cowboys, Bucs, Vikings, Saints, Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Rams & Eagles are the stretch of teams we played to finish the the season and playoffs.  Those are solid teams and we held 7 of those teams to 20 points or less.  

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

The Seahawks, Cowboys, Bucs, Vikings, Saints, Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Rams & Eagles are the stretch of teams we played to finish the the season and playoffs.  Those are solid teams and we held 7 of those teams to 20 points or less.  

Which is impressive. But 7 is less than half of the 18 games they played. They didn't play like they did versus the Rams and Eagles all season. Those were top ten defensive performances. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

How’s that? I guarantee they get whatever was wrong with setting the edge this week and as long as the offense doesn’t turn the ball over with all those mistakes it will be a much better game. And it’s home. 

It's misleading because the Falcons didn't play like the 7th best defense in the league.

The Vikings pretty much ran over them at will.

It's the pass yardage that vaults them into the top 10.  And we know that was because the Vikings choose not to pass the ball instead of the Falcons shutting down their passing game.  The Vikings didn't even attempt a pass in the 4th quarter.

The Falcons will hopefully correct their edge problems but the Eagles oline and offense is going to bring in a completely different set of problems.  Like a quick passing game to compliment the run game. 

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Look I’m just as disgusted as the rest of you with the performance from yesterday but I don’t see them stinking it up 2 weeks in a row like that. Especially in the homecoming. 

Yep. This team got a wake up call with some whoop ***. At home, I would be surprised if they don’t pull a W.