Sun Tzu 7

The #7 Defense

101 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Well, I mean, the D probably would've performed better had the O not turned the ball over 4 times and twice on the Falcons' 30.

The Vikings were averaging over 5 yards a carry.

Don't let the 3 turnovers fool you.

The Vikings didn't need to do anything on the offense because they essentially ran the ball when they wanted to.

The Falcons were whipped in the trenches.... alarmingly so.

We had alot of mistakes but this game was a really funny one, and at work we do picks 2 teams per conference to go to the superbowl, my picks were Vikings  or Falcons for the NFC. so to me we lost to the best team in the NFC and while the score looked real bad, it really wasn't that bad of a loss in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol this is exactly why when people try to convince me we had a top 10 defense in 2017 I didn't believe it. 98 yards allowed, man they must have shut down the pass?! Lol nope. Got steamrolled on the ground, no point in throwing it. 

Yep, when it works keep going to it till they stop it. Kind of stupid to stop using whats working. 

Da_Truth likes this

1 minute ago, high impact said:

Yep, when it works keep going to it till they stop it. Kind of stupid to stop using whats working. 

Exactly. Path of least resistance. They didn't stop the Vikings from doing much of anything they wanted. Short fields didn't help, but I don't think the outcome would have been much different regardless. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

1) This isnt "proof that stats are misleading" so much as its proof that some folks don't understand "stats"

2) Its Week 1. 

May have been just week one. Sure does not excite many to look forward to week two. :rolleyes:

Dirtier Bird and The Daywalker like this

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The Vikings didn't need to do anything on the offense because they essentially ran the ball when they wanted to.

While I don’t disagree, I don’t think it’s fair to discredit the Falcons ability to stop the run in the second half just because you think the Vikings stopped playing offense. 

Yeah, stats ARE misleading. We're #1 against the pass because the Vikings could run for 8 ******* YARDS A CARRY EVERY PLAY. They only threw it 10 times.

I'm surprised we are the 3rd worst against the run and not dead last...

Tmodel66 and Pacific_Falcon like this

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

While I don’t disagree, I don’t think it’s fair to discredit the Falcons ability to stop the run in the second half just because you think the Vikings stopped playing offense. 

yeah I'm glad we were able to bring it down from 12 YPC to a less embarasing 5.5. What the **** did they game plan for all week?

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And before anyone brings up Cook...anyone could have ran through those holes.  Half of those runs he wasn't touched until 8 yards downfield.  Every outside play was a huge gain.  I'm honestly surprised they even passed the ball 10 times.  They could have beat us without throwing a pass at all.

Everyone who is up in arms over the O-line has their priorities wrong.  We were able to move the ball and had opportunities to score if it weren't for the turnovers which I fully expect to be improved as the season goes on.  This can't be said for the defense who was utterly abused in the worst possible way yesterday.  If we can't improve the run defense we will be doomed before even suiting up next week.

VTCrunkler likes this

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

And before anyone brings up Cook...anyone could have ran through those holes.  Half of those runs he wasn't touched until 8 yards downfield.  Every outside play was a huge gain.  I'm honestly surprised they even passed the ball 10 times.  They could have beat us without throwing a pass at all.

Everyone who is up in arms over the O-line has their priorities wrong.  We were able to move the ball and had opportunities to score if it weren't for the turnovers which I fully expect to be improved as the season goes on.  This can't be said for the defense who was utterly abused in the worst possible way yesterday.  If we can't improve the run defense we will be doomed before even suiting up next week.

Yeah, lack of real game practice with WRs and TEs saw on display. When Ryan puts a ball in a spot but the one he is throwing to is not on the same page. That stuff only gets corrected when they work together on where to be and where the throw will be. 

VTCrunkler and Dirtier Bird like this

2 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

The Vikings didn't need to pass they had the game locked up in the 1st quarter. #1 defense vs pass is misleading.

That plus Cousins is not this passing juggerknot of a QB. 

Falcons_Frenzy likes this

13 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Vikings averaged 6 yards a carry and 6 yards a pass attempt in the 3rd quarter.

Now I will agree the average per carry dropped to the 2.7 yards in the 4th quarter but the Vikings didn't pass.

I don't 'think' the Vikings stopped playing offense.  They did and I say this because they didn't even attempt to throw the ball in the 4th quarter.  They took their foot off the gas. In the 3rd quarter, when they were still playing, they averaged 6 yards a play.

Yeah, the Falcons didn't stop the run as much as the Vikings went conservative.

TTU Falcon likes this

I'm not a football genius but I had a thought.  How is it that the Vikings could get outside of our ends when they are lined up so **** wide?  This is perplexing to me, when beasley and takk are 4 yards outside the tackles how do they not contain the edge, I don't see how this isn't an advantage to the defense.

Additionally, when it was clear that we were getting spanked in the run game is it totally ridiculous to put a defensive tackle like jarrett on the strong side edge and have davison hold the middle?

I really don't know, just trying to learn more about the game from someone who may be able to correct me.

GhostofGritz likes this

19 minutes ago, Romfal said:

Yeah, stats ARE misleading. We're #1 against the pass because the Vikings could run for 8 ******* YARDS A CARRY EVERY PLAY. They only threw it 10 times.

I'm surprised we are the 3rd worst against the run and not dead last...

That just goes to show how bad of a trainwreck it is in Miami.

I feel for Josh Rosen.  Dude gets a bad team in Arizona and they decide to cut bait.

Then the Cards trade him to Miami, they take one look at him,  then decide to throw the season away.   The kid needs to start planning his post football career now because he's never going to have a fair shot.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Lol this is exactly why when people try to convince me we had a top 10 defense in 2017 I didn't believe it. 98 yards allowed, man they must have shut down the pass?! Lol nope. Got steamrolled on the ground, no point in throwing it. 

2017 defense allowed 31 points once and 26 points once. Every other game they were on point, allowing 23 or fewer points each contest

vel likes this

30 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Vikings averaged 6 yards a carry and 6 yards a pass attempt in the 3rd quarter.

Now I will agree the average per carry dropped to the 2.7 yards in the 4th quarter but the Vikings didn't pass.

I don't 'think' the Vikings stopped playing offense.  They did and I say this because they didn't even attempt to throw the ball in the 4th quarter.  They took their foot off the gas. In the 3rd quarter, when they were still playing, they averaged 6 yards a play.

Yeah, the Falcons didn't stop the run as much as the Vikings went conservative.

This ignores the reality that Minnesota has very clearly said they have planned to run the ball a TON this year. They only had 4 WRs active. Heck, I'm pretty sure they only have 4 WRs on the roster. 

They didnt "go" conservative.....they are "conservative." They had the good fortune of early turnovers creating a situation that fit right into what they want to do. They're obviously not going to have many games where they throw the ball 10 times but this isnt a team that wants to average 40 pass attempts a game. If Mike Zimmer knew he could be competitive the rest of the season averaging 10 passing attempts a game, he'd sign up in a heartbeat.