Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PriMeTiiMe

Fixable yet frustrating Mistakes

52 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Beast from the middle east said:

What are we throwing out here? Freeman has been aweful for quite sometime while Ito Smith has looked like our best player both preseason and yesterday. I think it's time. DF has averaged 2 yards per carry going starting preseason, and worse is hes putting the ball on the carpet.

Hes an overrated fossil. 

It's not all that bad, but the team is clearly looking to move on in the later future.  Possibly next year.

Freeman is still an okay back.  The problem is he's paid like an elite back.  When Ito is performing better, and one presumes Ollison would at least do as well, it sort of puts the writing on the wall.  Free still has time to up his game, but what I've seen so far looks a lot more like 2017 and 2018 than 2016.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The team looked lethargic and in complete disarray from the moment kickoff happened until the game ended. We got our butts handed to us in all facets of the game. That being said, the reason we found ourselves down 28-0 are mostly fixable and mostly our own fault.

Lets go drive by Drive on offense:

Drive 1 - A Blocked Punt is inexcusable. It's even worse when the block comes from someone going right up the gut untouched. Does not help Bosher eats a 3 course meal in the backfield prior to punting the ball. He needs to go. Vikings start the drive at our 21 yard line. Hard to fault the defense for giving up 7.

Drive 2 - Matt Ryan makes one of the worst reads of his career. Not sure what glue he sniffed prior to throwing that pass but it was horrible. Triple coverage and you still force it in there? Again, The vikings start on our side of the field. Just like that its 14-0 in 5 minutes.

Drive 3 - We throw a screen that gets us inside the Vikings 30 yardline. Block in the back then takes us out of FG range. 3-7 points off the board.

Drive 4 - We get to the Vikings 21 yardline and Freeman proceeds to fumble. 3-7 more points off the board.

Drive 5 - We get to the Vikings 28 yardline and we get a holding call. Out of Field Goal Range. 3-7 Points off the board.

Drive 6 - End of half Drive. Did not matter with so little time.

Drive 7 - We get to the Vikings 2 yardline. Ryan makes a bad pass and Stocker quits on his route. Interception. 3-7 points off the board.

Drive 8 - 3 and out. First drive since the first 2 that looked bad.

Drives 9 and 10 - Touchdowns, We go for 2 both drives for the **** of it. Should have had 14 points rather than 12.

Recap:

• We got inside the Vikings 30 yardline 4 times and came away with 0 points (Fumble, INT, 2 Penalties). Brutal. Even if we only got FGs on those 4 drives, You are talking about 12 points. The drive that got us to the 2 should have been a TD, then you're talking 16 points. Huge difference and completely changes how this game probably ends.
  • We gave them essentially a 14-0 head start and throughout the rest of the game it was 14-14 (if we had just kicked the XPs). Considering how many mistakes we made and points we left off the board, That's kind of surprising. 
  • Side Note - Defensively, We missed out on recovering a FF by Grady. We had a Defensive Hold that extended a drive on 3rd down that would have been a punt but instead turned into a Vikings TD.

Turnovers and Penalties will lose teams games every week. Vikings are a good team, Maybe you can get away with it playing the Dolphins of the NFL but you can't do that against a talented good coached football team. We came out flat, made mistakes and got our *** kicked. Lick our wounds, Learn from it and come back next Sunday night and Win. 

Yep. This is about where I'm landing. The first two drives, the defense were in shlt situations. Giving up 14 points there was expected. Anything less would have been big wins for the defense, but turnovers in your own territory lead to points very fast. We saw that. Like you said, after that it was basically a 14-14 game. 

Matt hasn't thrown a multiple INT game since 2017. That happening is a very uncommon occurrence. Especially given those two decisions were extremely poor decisions. 

It's early in the season though. Lick your wounds and keep going. Not every game is going to be pretty and you dam sure aren't winning them all. 

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The team looked lethargic and in complete disarray from the moment kickoff happened until the game ended. We got our butts handed to us in all facets of the game. That being said, the reason we found ourselves down 28-0 are mostly fixable and mostly our own fault.

Lets go drive by Drive on offense:

Drive 1 - A Blocked Punt is inexcusable. It's even worse when the block comes from someone going right up the gut untouched. Does not help Bosher eats a 3 course meal in the backfield prior to punting the ball. He needs to go. Vikings start the drive at our 21 yard line. Hard to fault the defense for giving up 7.

Drive 2 - Matt Ryan makes one of the worst reads of his career. Not sure what glue he sniffed prior to throwing that pass but it was horrible. Triple coverage and you still force it in there? Again, The vikings start on our side of the field. Just like that its 14-0 in 5 minutes.

Drive 3 - We throw a screen that gets us inside the Vikings 30 yardline. Block in the back then takes us out of FG range. 3-7 points off the board.

Drive 4 - We get to the Vikings 21 yardline and Freeman proceeds to fumble. 3-7 more points off the board.

Drive 5 - We get to the Vikings 28 yardline and we get a holding call. Out of Field Goal Range. 3-7 Points off the board.

Drive 6 - End of half Drive. Did not matter with so little time.

Drive 7 - We get to the Vikings 2 yardline. Ryan makes a bad pass and Stocker quits on his route. Interception. 3-7 points off the board.

Drive 8 - 3 and out. First drive since the first 2 that looked bad.

Drives 9 and 10 - Touchdowns, We go for 2 both drives for the **** of it. Should have had 14 points rather than 12.

Recap:

• We got inside the Vikings 30 yardline 4 times and came away with 0 points (Fumble, INT, 2 Penalties). Brutal. Even if we only got FGs on those 4 drives, You are talking about 12 points. The drive that got us to the 2 should have been a TD, then you're talking 16 points. Huge difference and completely changes how this game probably ends.
  • We gave them essentially a 14-0 head start and throughout the rest of the game it was 14-14 (if we had just kicked the XPs). Considering how many mistakes we made and points we left off the board, That's kind of surprising. 
  • Side Note - Defensively, We missed out on recovering a FF by Grady. We had a Defensive Hold that extended a drive on 3rd down that would have been a punt but instead turned into a Vikings TD.

Turnovers and Penalties will lose teams games every week. Vikings are a good team, Maybe you can get away with it playing the Dolphins of the NFL but you can't do that against a talented good coached football team. We came out flat, made mistakes and got our *** kicked. Lick our wounds, Learn from it and come back next Sunday night and Win. 

Awesot breakdown.. I know it's inexcusable but definitely fixable mistakes for sure. We should have moved in from Bosher a few years back but it is what it is. First game jitters whatever you want to call it but last time we lost week 1 we went to the Superbowl. I'm very frustrated but definitely optimistic

With 3 new starters on the oline.  Koetter should have ran the ball alot. They got the power to do that now. Get the oline in some kind of rhythm.

It would have slowed down their the bikes blitzing and help matt ryan. 

I expect for them to run the ball a ton against the eagles

JDaveG likes this

51 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It's not all that bad, but the team is clearly looking to move on in the later future.  Possibly next year.

Freeman is still an okay back.  The problem is he's paid like an elite back.  When Ito is performing better, and one presumes Ollison would at least do as well, it sort of puts the writing on the wall.  Free still has time to up his game, but what I've seen so far looks a lot more like 2017 and 2018 than 2016.

Going to take a while, I think he should be the back up until hes up to speed. 

1 hour ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Absolutely, I was just hoping to see a better response from the team. Definitely failed the stress test

Yep. Almost as badly as they used to fail the hold-the-lead test. :ninja:

51 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

With 3 new starters on the oline.  Koetter should have ran the ball alot. They got the power to do that now. Get the oline in some kind of rhythm.

It would have slowed down their the bikes blitzing and help matt ryan. 

I expect for them to run the ball a ton against the eagles

I hope so. We always seem to “forget.”

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And to add.... Our Ends on defense have got to contain! 

They were crashing down hard like they had not played in an NFL game for much of the first half giving Cook half of his yards right there! 

This. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Zero contain. 

JDaveG and Ezekiel 25:17 like this

2 hours ago, Beast from the middle east said:

What are we throwing out here? Freeman has been aweful for quite sometime while Ito Smith has looked like our best player both preseason and yesterday. I think it's time. DF has averaged 2 yards per carry going starting preseason, and worse is hes putting the ball on the carpet.

Hes an overrated fossil. 

He was one of the best backs in the league from 15-17, he was hurt almost the entire season last year and has one game this year, in which he had 8 carries and you have seen enough to know he is “aweful”? Do you have that short term of a memory?  Our run game as a whole looked bad, running lanes weren’t there, and we abandoned it pretty early in the game once we got down so far, only had 14 carries between the two backs.  It’s way too small of a sample size to know anything yet.  

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And to add.... Our Ends on defense have got to contain! 

They were crashing down hard like they had not played in an NFL game for much of the first half giving Cook half of his yards right there! 

Agreed, but I would say that it had nothing to do with not playing an NFL game.  10 year-olds are taught not to crash.  Come on guys!  That was terrible.

Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

3 minutes ago, rings639 said:

He was one of the best backs in the league from 15-17, he was hurt almost the entire season last year and has one game this year, in which he had 8 carries and you have seen enough to know he is “aweful”? Do you have that short term of a memory?  Our run game as a whole looked bad, running lanes weren’t there, and we abandoned it pretty early in the game once we got down so far, only had 14 carries between the two backs.  It’s way too small of a sample size to know anything yet.  

He can't fumble that ball away. That was the back breaker. We went down 14-0 but had a drive going to get back in the game and he loses the ball. Next thing you know its 21-0 and we are reeling. 

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

He can't fumble that ball away. That was the back breaker. We went down 14-0 but had a drive going to get back in the game and he loses the ball. Next thing you know its 21-0 and we are reeling. 

Agreed. I think that's when it was over

3 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Funny story...I had a phone that changed I'm to Kim, so I was constantly texting my wife "Kim on the way"

Lmao explaining that must have been cumbersome :lol:. Did that with my wife before, luckily she trusts me. 

8 minutes ago, rings639 said:

Stop right there. Ito averaged 5 ypc. 

11 minutes ago, Beast from the middle east said:

Stop right there. Ito averaged 5 ypc. 

On. Six. Carries.

A team normally carries the ball around 300 times a season.  This whole time I’ve said it’s too small of a sample size, that’s all I’m saying.  Not sure if you comprehending that part.  We know nothing yet.  But if you want to think player x sucks because you watched some preseason and 8 plays in week one and you have it all figured out and know how they will play the next 15 games, go for it, the sky is falling.

13 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I agree.  It killed momentum, but it was a fluke thing.  Ryan threw two picks, not like him.  We had a blocked punt, not normal. Vinatieri missed two field goals yesterday, crap happens.  

5 minutes ago, rings639 said:

On. Six. Carries.

A team normally carries the ball between around 300 times a season.  This whole time I’ve said it’s too small of a sample size, that’s all I’m saying.  Not sure if you comprehending that part.  We know nothing yet.

And Freeman had 2 more carries for a total of 2.4 ypc and one fumble. So what does that tell you? Freeman had a horrible game. To compound the problem is Cook was coming off an injury riddled season and had a monster game, so he is rusty and not playing up to scratch. That's exactly my point. Whether he plays 300 snaps or 10 billion snaps is irrevelant, Freeman is not good right now. 

Edited by Beast from the middle east

Just now, Beast from the middle east said:

And Freeman had 2 more carries for a total of 2.4 ypc. So what does that tell you? Freeman had a horrible game. To compound the problem is Cook was coming off an injury riddled season and had a monster game, so he is rusty and not playing up to scratch. That's exactly my point. Whether he plays 300 snaps or 10 billion snaps is irrevelant, Freeman is not good right now. 

Did you watch the game or just look at stats?  Ito had one good run that skewed his ypc.  I could have ran through the holes that Cook had to run through.  I don’t know how you are comparing the two if you actually watched the game.  Our guys were getting first contact in the back field with no holes to run through.  Cook had multiple carries where he was 10-12 yard down field before first contact.  Horrible comparison.

45 minutes ago, sandtrap said:

This. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Zero contain. 

I would normally say, “that’s what she said” right here. 

But it it hurts too much. :doh:

1 minute ago, rings639 said:

Did you watch the game or just look at stats?  Ito had one good run that skewed his ypc.  I could have ran through the holes that Cook had to run through.  I don’t know how you are comparing the two if you actually watched the game.  Our guys were getting first contact in the back field with no holes to run through.  Cook had multiple carries where he was 10-12 yard down field before first contact.  Horrible comparison.

Umm what kind of illogic is that? If you take his best run away still averages 2.6 which is better. All RB are streaky and depend on breaking long runs. Freeman didn't look threatening or break a long run. You take away Feeman's long run and he is down to 2.0 yards. He also fumbled and looked bad all preseason long. Give me the RB with the hot hand, and you let the cold rusty one play back up snaps until he gets hot so he doesnt fumble our season away. 

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

3). Special teams has to improve.  There is no excuse for a free rusher to the inside on the blocked punt.  Barner was solid.  Kick coverage was meh.  But that blocked punt was terrible.

Barner improved as the game went on, but his very poor decision to run a kickoff out of the endzone put the Falcons in terrible field position (15 yard line i think) to start the 2nd drive.

Edited by JeffAtl
JDaveG likes this

25 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Agreed, but I would say that it had nothing to do with not playing an NFL game.  10 year-olds are taught not to crash.  Come on guys!  That was terrible.

The sad part about it is that Minn hadn’t even shown that they were only going to run between the tackles yet and they were already closing down.

Cook would have been blind not to see the daylight to the outside(before he even made a cut!)

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

At least our interior DL is STRONG.

Fix the edges, make teams pass and we'll start seeing what the pass rush is made of:

Edge contain and run fits were so bad we couldn't take advantage of Grady inside making them pass.