Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PriMeTiiMe

Fixable yet frustrating Mistakes

52 posts in this topic

The team looked lethargic and in complete disarray from the moment kickoff happened until the game ended. We got our butts handed to us in all facets of the game. That being said, the reason we found ourselves down 28-0 are mostly fixable and mostly our own fault.

Lets go drive by Drive on offense:

Drive 1 - A Blocked Punt is inexcusable. It's even worse when the block comes from someone going right up the gut untouched. Does not help Bosher eats a 3 course meal in the backfield prior to punting the ball. He needs to go. Vikings start the drive at our 21 yard line. Hard to fault the defense for giving up 7.

Drive 2 - Matt Ryan makes one of the worst reads of his career. Not sure what glue he sniffed prior to throwing that pass but it was horrible. Triple coverage and you still force it in there? Again, The vikings start on our side of the field. Just like that its 14-0 in 5 minutes.

Drive 3 - We throw a screen that gets us inside the Vikings 30 yardline. Block in the back then takes us out of FG range. 3-7 points off the board.

Drive 4 - We get to the Vikings 21 yardline and Freeman proceeds to fumble. 3-7 more points off the board.

Drive 5 - We get to the Vikings 28 yardline and we get a holding call. Out of Field Goal Range. 3-7 Points off the board.

Drive 6 - End of half Drive. Did not matter with so little time.

Drive 7 - We get to the Vikings 2 yardline. Ryan makes a bad pass and Stocker quits on his route. Interception. 3-7 points off the board.

Drive 8 - 3 and out. First drive since the first 2 that looked bad.

Drives 9 and 10 - Touchdowns, We go for 2 both drives for the **** of it. Should have had 14 points rather than 12.

Recap:

• We got inside the Vikings 30 yardline 4 times and came away with 0 points (Fumble, INT, 2 Penalties). Brutal. Even if we only got FGs on those 4 drives, You are talking about 12 points. The drive that got us to the 2 should have been a TD, then you're talking 16 points. Huge difference and completely changes how this game probably ends.
  • We gave them essentially a 14-0 head start and throughout the rest of the game it was 14-14 (if we had just kicked the XPs). Considering how many mistakes we made and points we left off the board, That's kind of surprising. 
  • Side Note - Defensively, We missed out on recovering a FF by Grady. We had a Defensive Hold that extended a drive on 3rd down that would have been a punt but instead turned into a Vikings TD.

Turnovers and Penalties will lose teams games every week. Vikings are a good team, Maybe you can get away with it playing the Dolphins of the NFL but you can't do that against a talented good coached football team. We came out flat, made mistakes and got our *** kicked. Lick our wounds, Learn from it and come back next Sunday night and Win. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

4 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And to add.... Our Ends on defense have got to contain! 

They were crashing down hard like they had not played in an NFL game for much of the first half giving Cook half of his yards right there! 

Defensively, That and Oliver were the biggest issues. Oliver got picked on every time they passed (not often, only 8/10 98 yards the whole game)

Oliver needs to play better than the D-line has to play smarter.

It was a lot of mistakes. One could say a few games worth of mistakes in one week. Maybe they got it all out of their systems. One thing with Ryan is Julio is his first and last read. That interception was a force to Julio, but they've made that connection before. Look at the TD pass to Julio later in the game. It was a force into coverage and Julio fought for it and came away with it. The receivers did not fight hard enough yesterday. 

If our D line was in the Viking training camp this past Summer, they would start the Season with 1 less guy than they had yesterday..... adding Grady to their mix. I didn't see anybody else on the Falcon team that could crack their lineup. Not sure if it's talent evaluation or coaching but in that all important positional group we look subpar.

28 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Defensively, That and Oliver were the biggest issues. Oliver got picked on every time they passed (not often, only 8/10 98 yards the whole game)

Oliver will improve, it’s his first start.  Not many teams have a #2 WR that can run routes like Theiland.   

VTCrunkler likes this

32 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Now that maybe the part that will take time to fix. That’s assuming he will be able to do the job of course.

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Drive 1 - A Blocked Punt is inexcusable. It's even worse when the block comes from someone going right up the gut untouched. Does not help Bosher eats a 3 course meal in the backfield prior to punting the ball. He needs to go. Vikings start the drive at our 21 yard line. Hard to fault the defense for giving up 7.

Wrong,

Bosher has one of the best hang times and punt averages in the NFL last few years. We were simply out coached and our malignant punt blocking nearly caused 2 blocked punts, as traditionally is the case in the past. We were out coached yesterday. The run defense and screen plays killed up. Throw in the fact that Matt Ryan was all butt cheeks and threw desperate passes and you get a blow out. 

The player who needs to sit on the bench is Defumble Freeman, as Ito is a better option at this point. 

Edited by Beast from the middle east

5 minutes ago, rings639 said:

Oliver will improve, it’s his first start.  Not many teams have a #2 WR that can run routes like Theiland.   

A lot of people assume that the Falcons have to have 2 shutdown corners to succeed. They don't.

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

A lot of people assume that the Falcons have to have 2 shutdown corners to succeed. They don't.

No, they need someone who has confidence and can win more often than not, and if they lose to lose underneath.  Alford was a really good corner who never had enough confidence in his speed and would get super grabby, and 75% of the time he wasn’t beat and didn’t need to, just a reaction.  Oliver had the one penalty I remember, but other than that he never got smoked.  He will hopefully learn and make adjustments.  

17 minutes ago, Beast from the middle east said:

Wrong,

Bosher has one of the best hang times and punt averages in the NFL last few years. We were simply put coached and our malignant punt blocking nearly caused 2 blocked punts, as traditionally is the case in the past. We were put coached yesterday. The run defense and screen plays killed up. Throw in the fact that Matt Ryan was all butt cheeks and threw desperate passes and you get a blow out. 

The player who needs to sit on the bench is Defumble Freeman, as Ito is a better option at this point. 

To both of your points...it’s one game.  As a head coach, you are going to throw out all your scouting, meeting prep, mini camps, OTAs, training camp, preseason...all these things you use to determine who your starters are going to be, and just throw it out the window after one game, then I would say thank god you aren’t the coach.  Knee jack reactions are the things that I expect from fantasy owners who’s second round pick had a bad week and they bench them, then the next week that player gos off and then they can’t figure out what possibly went wrong.  

Chill.  It’s DKs first time calling plays in this scheme, it will take time.  We play another really tough defensive line next week.  We will see how they bounce back.  It may still look rough next week, I’m just looking for improvement.

16 minutes ago, rings639 said:

No, they need someone who has confidence and can win more often than not, and if they lose to lose underneath.  Alford was a really good corner who never had enough confidence in his speed and would get super grabby, and 75% of the time he wasn’t beat and didn’t need to, just a reaction.  Oliver had the one penalty I remember, but other than that he never got smoked.  He will hopefully learn and make adjustments.  

If I remember right Theilen's biggest catch and run came from him going over the middle with Campbell in coverage. 

I still don't know why we didn't make those kind of throws on offense with Ridley. He kills on those.

rings639 likes this

34 minutes ago, Jesus said:

They just need someone who can hold on every down throughout the receivers route; kinda like Stephon Gilmore. 

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

We do not match up well against the Vikings.  We struggled mightily against them before too.  I wish I had better news but we struggle against the Eagles too and we play them next week.  Luckily its a home game.  If it were in Philly, I'd pretty much have it marked up as a loss.  After next week, I honestly think we can bust off 5 straight wins.

JDaveG likes this

46 minutes ago, Beast from the middle east said:

Wrong,

Bosher has one of the best hang times and punt averages in the NFL last few years. We were simply put coached and our malignant punt blocking nearly caused 2 blocked punts, as traditionally is the case in the past. We were put coached yesterday. The run defense and screen plays killed up. Throw in the fact that Matt Ryan was all butt cheeks and threw desperate passes and you get a blow out. 

:huh: What?

I was going to start an entire thread, but this one seems to cover it.  My issues:

1). The offensive line had too many bad mistakes, and unfortunately, WAY too many came off the left side of the line.  McGary had 1 miss that I recall that led directly to a sack.  But Matthews had AT LEAST 2 plays where he got whooped.  I mean whooped.  They have to clean that up.  We can recover from rookie mistakes.  We cannot recover from Pro Bowlers playing like rookies.

2). Defensive contain in the run game was putrid for the first half and part of the second.  The first two scores were on a short field, the first due to the blocked punt and the second due to either the fumble or the INT (I forgot which).  I give some leeway there to the defense.  But the second two scores were just awful defense.  They marched down the field in large part due to explosive runs.  For everyone talking about Beasley, Takk McKinley got washed out on several run plays.  Bad angles.  Got mashed off the ball.  And he wasn't the only one -- the safeties and corners were bad in their run fits too.

3). Special teams has to improve.  There is no excuse for a free rusher to the inside on the blocked punt.  Barner was solid.  Kick coverage was meh.  But that blocked punt was terrible.

4). There were coaching issues for sure.  Not sure why we were going for two on both our TDs.  Not sure why we had our best personnel on the sidelines on the end zone INT.  Why are we featuring Luke Stocker in the end zone?  Don't get cute.  We have weapons.  Use them.  

5). I thought the offense and defense settled down somewhat in the 2nd half.  Not by enough (they play as well as they did in the 2nd half for 4 quarters and it's still a close loss instead of a win), but by enough that I'm not terribly worried.  These problems are fixable.

6). Everyone has to play better.  Starting with the QB.  Starting with the o-line.  Freeman was outclassed by Ito.  Julio was good at times but had a terrible and costly drop.  Sanu and Hoop were bright spots among the starters on offense.  Then on defense, starting with the line and the LBers.  The only starter that impressed me on defense was Jarrett.  Deion Jones was solid but unspectacular.  Allen made some key mistakes.  Oliver isn't ready, but again, we can scheme around him if everyone else does their part -- the reality is the run fits ended up putting him on an island.  We'd sell out to stop the run and then they'd attack Oliver on 3rd down with great success.  If the rest of the defense plays well, we can deal with that. But we cannot deal with the star players playing like also-rans.

Also, officiating was terrible for the most part, but we had some get back in the 2nd half once the game was out of reach.  I was peeved, and I hope Quinn was in their ears (given the swing in penalty calls in the 2nd half, maybe he was).  They got away with much worse holds and PI than were called on us in the first half.  I never understand why the team that is already whipping us gets the benefit of every ticky tack call.

Ergo Proxy and Drew4719 like this

23 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Also, officiating was terrible for the most part, but we had some get back in the 2nd half once the game was out of reach.  I was peeved, and I hope Quinn was in their ears (given the swing in penalty calls in the 2nd half, maybe he was).  They got away with much worse holds and PI than were called on us in the first half.  I never understand why the team that is already whipping us gets the benefit of every ticky tack call.

One of the low key mistakes from yeaterday was Quinn not challenging the TD to Theilin(sp).

He pretty clearly pushed off....Quinn should have challenged that.

PokerSteve, Drew4719, JDaveG and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, rings639 said:

To both of your points...it’s one game.  As a head coach, you are going to throw out all your scouting, meeting prep, mini camps, OTAs, training camp, preseason...all these things you use to determine who your starters are going to be, and just throw it out the window after one game, then I would say thank god you aren’t the coach.  Knee jack reactions are the things that I expect from fantasy owners who’s second round pick had a bad week and they bench them, then the next week that player gos off and then they can’t figure out what possibly went wrong.  

Chill.  It’s DKs first time calling plays in this scheme, it will take time.  We play another really tough defensive line next week.  We will see how they bounce back.  It may still look rough next week, I’m just looking for improvement.

What are we throwing out here? Freeman has been aweful for quite sometime while Ito Smith has looked like our best player both preseason and yesterday. I think it's time. DF has averaged 2 yards per carry going starting preseason, and worse is hes putting the ball on the carpet.

Hes an overrated fossil. 

Edited by Beast from the middle east