Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stingbee

The positive!!! Relax, This is Week 1

10 posts in this topic

We lost!!! So what, it was game 1 on the road, at a tough stadium and the best home defense. The Falcons lost the game because of early turnovers which cost them the game.

We held Cuzo below 100 passing yard, and the possession time was the same. We had more passing yards, but running game had issues. The OL is new and it will take a few games before they become a decent OL. 

Remember, the Offense might take 3-4 games before it starts clicking after a long offseason and meaningless preseason games. 

Defense showed some good plays especially the inside—Grady Jarrett could have a monster year and Jones and Neal will be more impactful as the season progresses. 

Carolina lost at home and so did the Bucs. The Saints might have a tough game with Houston on the road. The Falcons will be home next week and on Primetime. I believe the offense is going to be more in rhythm and the rust will be minimized. Ito Smith looks like he may have a big season ahead and so will Hooper— a breakout season for both is very much in-play. 

So, relax and let the next few games dictate where we going. If we start the season 0-3, then we could be in trouble in terms of winning the division or making it into the playoffs. 

Edited by stingbee

Here is how WEIRD our game was today:

I wouldn’t count a ridiculously bad start in all 3 phases of the game, making it play out abnormally in Vikings favor, to put an extreme overreaction on it.

That said, games like this can happen if all phases early create massive deficits and during a comeback attempt you make any further mistakes (see Ryan INT in 3rd Q)...

Rhodaric likes this

Under DQ, the first game is like a preseason game. I think coaches need to game planning in preseason so they don't get outcoached in all phases of the game.

NeonDeion likes this

12 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Under DQ, the first game is like a preseason game. I think coaches need to game planning in preseason so they don't get outcoached in all phases of the game.

And Julio Jones uses the first 10 games to figure it out.

21 minutes ago, dmite said:

NFL is crazy.  Some teams that looked awesome today will look like trash next week and vice versa.  

Rarely is that us.  Very rarely.  When it’s bad...it’s bad.  I’ve yet to see Quinn lead this team successfully when things don’t look good.  

Hopefully they turn it around.

There wasn't really much positive to take away from the game itself. Week 1 games are typically the most anomalous in terms of predicting how a team will do on the season, though. Patriots have laid plenty of eggs in early season games over the years (though not this year). I think the Browns are overrated, but they won't regularly lose by 30 points to teams like the Titans. And we won't regularly be down 28-0 in the 3rd quarter. 

As fans, all we can do is hope that the correctable things get corrected, and we do a better job of masking our weaknesses than we did today--because today they all stuck out like sore thumbs. If that happens, this could still be a good team and we could look back at this game as an outlier and a rallying point. Falcons fandom has taught me never to be too optimistic, but that's gotta be the hope...because again, the game itself didn't leave us with much to be excited about. 

uup115 and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

Rarely is that us.  Very rarely.  When it’s bad...it’s bad.  I’ve yet to see Quinn lead this team successfully when things don’t look good.  

Hopefully they turn it around.

This is my fear as well. Teams are routinely able to come back against us after facing double digit deficits, but when we get down by more than a score, it's game over. The same seems to hold true in terms of our seasons. Last year it looked like maybe we had turned a corner after the 1-4 start, but then we promptly got embarrassed by an average Browns team and the season once again went up in smoke. And obviously there's the second half to 2015, the SB collapse, Dolphins 2nd half collapse, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

This is my fear as well. Teams are routinely able to come back against us after facing double digit deficits, but when we get down by more than a score, it's game over. The same seems to hold true in terms of our seasons. Last year it looked like maybe we had turned a corner after the 1-4 start, but then we promptly got embarrassed by an average Browns team and the season once again went up in smoke. And obviously there's the second half to 2015, the SB collapse, Dolphins 2nd half collapse, etc. 

Quinn is a terrible in game manager, I'm fairly certain if Rex Ryan was hired instead with Matt Ryan as his QB, this team would be much better off. Quinn got caught with his pants down facing only 10 passes and having no answers on how to stop the run.

Didn’t even realize we played on SNF next week against Philly. We better show up, 0-2 is a difficult hole to climb out of. Rather not even have 0-3 being possible. 

Ergo Proxy likes this