Were the Falcons Actually as Bad Compared to Other Teams in Week 1?

jlrfalcon

39 minutes ago, vel said:

It's week one. The over reactions are because fans waited since January to see the Falcons play football. To get this, they are upset. Rightfully so. But it's still week one. The Saints let the Bucs put up 48 points on them at home this time last year. We were laughing at the Saints demise...just for them to go on a run and for the Bucs to open up 2-0 with wins at NO and vs PHI and only win 3 games the rest of the year. 

Matt isn't going to look like Blake Bortles every week. Freeman fumbling is as rare as Matt throwing multiple INTs. It just doesn't happen that often. That's 3 turnovers right there, two of which took points off the board, with the other essentially gift wrapping the Vikings 7. It wasn't a level of ineptitude like you saw with the Dolphins. Once the 14 points was spotted, the Falcons kept fighting it out. Yes, 28-0 was really happening. But when you look at what and how it happened, we literally just saw maybe the worse performance of the season for this group. Jake opening the game with the easiest sack he's ever allowed? Like come on. That's not happening every week. 

If this game is an indictment on the season we'll have, DQ will rightfully be fired. But it's not. We've seen these kinds of games before. HeIl, the Vikings got blown out but the dam Bills last year. Every team has at least one game a year where they look stupid (See: ATL-KC '16). DQ has never had this team looking inept for 16 games. Yes, we saw stretches last year after all of the injuries, but you saw them bounce back as well. They'll be fine. It's week one, the weirdest week in football every year. 

I agree it is only one week and am still optimistic about the rest of 2019.

However, as a lifetime Atlantan, I feel like these "it is only one game" phrases have too often now eventually become "it is only one season".

The Braves have at least in my lifetime had a WS ring surrounded by multiple division/league titles and might have something great this year.

The United were a hit in 2 years with a championship and seem to be becoming more popular on sports radio than all other Atlanta teams.

The Falcons sooner or later have got to show me something (and SB51 ruined all of that season's gains as opposed to the Braves in 1991 where they had a great season and lost the WS but still looked great in that loss)

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yep. We dont "know" much about half the league or so until November. 

The question for this team is are they going to be able to tread water to keep themselves in good shape before November. There were aspects of yesterday that made me think they'll be fine. But there were other aspects that were obviously very discouraging. And I'll admit to being kinda of exhausted by this team making the same sorts of errors every season. I'm not panicked but I'm much more open to the possibility of moving on to a new phase of the franchise if this season doesnt show me something more. 

100%. I think the biggest takeaway from yesterday was that Quinn's performance as head coach throughout his tenure as Falcons coach leaves A LOT to be desired.

3 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

However, as a lifetime Atlantan, I feel like these "it is only one game" phrases have too often now eventually become "it is only one season".

The Braves have at least in my lifetime had a WS ring surrounded by multiple division/league titles and might have something great this year.

The United were a hit in 2 years with a championship and seem to be becoming more popular on sports radio than all other Atlanta teams.

The Falcons sooner or later have got to show me something (and SB51 ruined all of that season's gains as opposed to the Braves in 1991 where they had a great season and lost the WS but still looked great in that loss)

Only one team can win the SB each year. The odds of the Falcons being that one are 3%. So I don't really get this whole "I'm tired" argument. It's annoying quite frankly. Not to rag on you, cuz I get it, but if that's your angst with this, go bandwagon other teams. Signing your fandom to one team leaves you open to several years of "Welp, there's always next year". Because 97% of the odds suggest you will be saying that every year. 

Now, back to this season. It's one game. If they beat the Vikings, I would feel the same way. It's one game, week one, where we always see the weirdest things happen. Every single year. Come week 10, if we're 7-3, all of this pessimism will have been for nothing. We lost to the Bucs and looked silly in 2016. Everybody was calling for DQ and Kyle's heads because we looked stupid and poorly coached and lost to the Bucs. We went to the SB that year. All of that crying people did after week one in 2016 was gone by December. 

If we look like this in December, I'm all for the crying. But not going for it right now. 

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Only one team can win the SB each year. The odds of the Falcons being that one are 3%. So I don't really get this whole "I'm tired" argument. It's annoying quite frankly. Not to rag on you, cuz I get it, but if that's your angst with this, go bandwagon other teams. Signing your fandom to one team leaves you open to several years of "Welp, there's always next year". Because 97% of the odds suggest you will be saying that every year. 

Now, back to this season. It's one game. If they beat the Vikings, I would feel the same way. It's one game, week one, where we always see the weirdest things happen. Every single year. Come week 10, if we're 7-3, all of this pessimism will have been for nothing. We lost to the Bucs and looked silly in 2016. Everybody was calling for DQ and Kyle's heads because we looked stupid and poorly coached and lost to the Bucs. We went to the SB that year. All of that crying people did after week one in 2016 was gone by December. 

If we look like this in December, I'm all for the crying. But not going for it right now. 

But the cumulative probability of the Falcons winning the Super Bowl once over a multi-year period increases dramatically.  I do not have time to calculate it right now, but it is extremely higher for a team over a 10-year period and even higher over a 20-year and ridiculously higher over a 50-year period.

At what point does this city just absolutely lose it and stop going to Falcons games?  I will point out that Braves games were almost ghost towns in 1990 until the 1991 season turned this city's support of that team around.  If the Falcons do not make the playoffs this year, Quinn will definitely be gone and it will take a great public relations campaign to get this city to come to the home opener of 2020.

8 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

But the cumulative probability of the Falcons winning the Super Bowl once over a multi-year period increases dramatically.  I do not have time to calculate it right now, but it is extremely higher for a team over a 10-year period and even higher over a 20-year and ridiculously higher over a 50-year period.

At what point does this city just absolutely lose it and stop going to Falcons games?  I will point out that Braves games were almost ghost towns in 1990 until the 1991 season turned this city's support of that team around.  If the Falcons do not make the playoffs this year, Quinn will definitely be gone and it will take a great public relations campaign to get this city to come to the home opener of 2020.

Fans won't stop being fans. Bills fans had 4 straight SB losses. They pack that stadium out. Sorry, but if you think the Falcons fans will stopping going to games in 2020 if they miss the postseason, then they don't deserve a team. The dog pound in Cleveland has been packed for years and they haven't won a playoff game or a divisional crown in decades. Miss me with all of that. 

TBH I could care less about what other teams do.  It's troubling to see the same mistakes repeated. It seems to take this team weeks into the season before they get their act together.  We've been correcting these mistakes for a while now, but they seem to keep rearing its ugly head.

36 minutes ago, vel said:

Fans won't stop being fans. Bills fans had 4 straight SB losses. They pack that stadium out. Sorry, but if you think the Falcons fans will stopping going to games in 2020 if they miss the postseason, then they don't deserve a team. The dog pound in Cleveland has been packed for years and they haven't won a playoff game or a divisional crown in decades. Miss me with all of that. 

I hate this argument, this ain't 1990 tickets don't cost $25 anymore. If a fan doesn't want to spend $500+ to go to a game with a crap product than so be it. I am a diehard like most people on this site so I'll go even if we go 0-16. But I can not blame a family that takes home $2k a month after taxes for skipping on a crap product. AB wants fans in the seats then put some numbers in that W column. I don't get why people want to pay billionaire for crap products. You gonna pay $1k for an IPhone or some Chinese knockoff UPhone? Same dang concept here.

Alright end of rant.

1 minute ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

I hate this argument, this ain't 1990 tickets don't cost $25 anymore. If a fan doesn't want to spend $500+ to go to a game with a crap product than so be it. I am a diehard like most people on this site so I'll go even if we go 0-16. But I can not blame a family that takes home $2k a month after taxes for skipping on a crap product. AB wants fans in the seats then put some numbers in that W column. I don't get why people want to pay billionaire for crap products. You gonna pay $1k for an IPhone or some Chinese knockoff UPhone? Same dang concept here.

Alright end of rant.

I never said that. Yes, games aren't cheap. I don't blame anybody for making a financial choice to not go. That's not what I said. Choosing to not go because the team isn't winning SBs or making the playoffs? Lol that's one that I won't support. Like you said, you'd still go even if they go 0-16. That's my point. 

Just now, vel said:

I never said that. Yes, games aren't cheap. I don't blame anybody for making a financial choice to not go. That's not what I said. Choosing to not go because the team isn't winning SBs or making the playoffs? Lol that's one that I won't support. Like you said, you'd still go even if they go 0-16. That's my point. 

I have the income and I'm a diehard. I would say we are the 1%, so I can't blame others. Some teams just have more diehards than others.

3 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

I have the income and I'm a diehard. I would say we are the 1%, so I can't blame others. Some teams just have more diehards than others.

And that's all I'm saying. I never speak on money because going to begin with is a major privilege. 

many players and teams around the league were rusty. Especially the guys who didn't play preseason or missed last year with injury.

Julio, Debo and Free were not on top of their games

Jared Goff was brutal

Jimmy G might have been worse

Big Ben was all over the place chucking the ball and getting sacked

Kyler and the Cards were pitiful for one half - same for Lions D. Good and then horrible.

Cam wasn't his best self

...etc etc...

I'm not too worried yet. The Chiefs, Vikings and Patriots looked ready, everyone else was unprepared.

1 hour ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

Alright end of rant.

Blank runs the front office to sell tickets...we are much closer to Tampa's style organization than we are New Englands, who runs their front office to win games/super bowls.

3 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Yep the Falcons and the Hawks have not done crap since being in ATL. After more than 50 years of futility it's time to start thinking about kicking both franchises to the curb and starting over with expansion teams.

I'll give the Hawks a few more years due to the youth movement going on. The Falcons though have worn out their welcome.