jlrfalcon

Were the Falcons Actually as Bad Compared to Other Teams in Week 1?

47 posts in this topic

Perhaps one of the best ways to recover from depression over bad things is to see others are doing worse than you.  So, the question is who all did worse than us on Sunday?

Steelers - I see the Steelers are getting blown out by Brady and Patriots 30-3 as I write this.  Do the Patriots even need Brown now?  Is Brady going to be playing until he's 50 with all the time he gets in the pocket?

Jaguars -The Jaguars had high hopes with Foles and his Super Bowl MVP self coming in to save them.  Instead, he is now hurt and the Jags fell 40-26 to the Chiefs.  Mahomes the next Brady?

Browns - The Browns with Mayfield were supposed to now be exiting the cellars of the NFL but instead lost 41-13 to the Titans.

Giants - The Giants did not have high expectations but still expected something from RB Barkley.  Eli started and they lost 35-17 to the Cowboys who barely had to use Zeke.

Bears - And, I should also mention that the Bears and their great defense was good on Thursday this week, but their pitiful offense (and QB?) still lost 10-3 to the Packers.

We did look bad today and below what our talent level should be producing, but really we might have still not have been the worst in the NFL?

Would you consider the Falcons to have been better than at least a few other teams out there this week? 

Edited by jlrfalcon

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And just like that the Falcons are in the same conversation as the Browns,  Giants, and Jaguars...

Lol was literally thinking that as I read this. But I get what the OP is saying. The Steelers clearly aren’t this bad offensively. Neither are we 

Drew4719, Geneaut, NWFALCON and 1 other like this

You forgot the Dolphins but, apparently, they are tanking on purpose, according to some of their players who want to be traded after today (per Mike Florio on SNF).

25 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And just like that the Falcons are in the same conversation as the Browns,  Giants, and Jaguars...

Well at least the Giants have won multiple SB's. So there's that lol

Honestly who cares how other teams did. We can’t play this “well we weren’t as bad as THAT team, so it’s okay” game. 

We have to worry about cleaning up our mistakes and such. We could have won that game if we executed better.

But we also could have lost by a lot more if the Vikings made more plays as well

fuego, zekeyboy1 and CaliFalcons like this

4 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

No, even worse.

I agree, considering the amount of talent we have, the hype of DQ taking over as DC and the return of the injured players from last year. Our game was a bigger disaster. Quinn is running out of time. He's already lost his life lines. 

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Lol was literally thinking that as I read this. But I get what the OP is saying. The Steelers clearly aren’t this bad offensively. Neither are we 

Steelers didn't make the playoffs last season. The Bears are the only team you can point to and they held Aaron Rogers to 10 points in their loss.

We looked like that small school, cupcake team that Alabama plays early in their seasons.  Like we practiced all week and were given a bunch of speeches about going into a hostile environment and playing Falcons football only to really know in our hearts that we stood no chance.

Thats what that reminded me of.  

No offense,,,but I could care less about what other teams did. We stunk it up and saying well pittsburgh stunk worse doesn't make me feel a bit better. But yeah dude I know what youre trying to say. 

A win next week. ( i doubt it though ) and I will be back on cloud nine.  The life if a falcon fan. Gotta love it

A frustrating performance but its a Week 1 performance. Last year, the Saints lost to the Bucs in Week 1. 

Every year some teams just come out flat. While I'm tiring of always being one of those "some teams" it's still Week 1.

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

A frustrating performance but its a Week 1 performance. Last year, the Saints lost to the Bucs in Week 1. 

Every year some teams just come out flat. While I'm tiring of always being one of those "some teams" it's still Week 1.

Pretty much this. It's especially happening more to teams who rest their starters in the preseason. The Rams won yesterday, but they didn't look like the deadly team from last season necessarily. But like you said, it's only week 1. 

11 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Perhaps one of the best ways to recover from depression over bad things is to see others are doing worse than you.  So, the question is who all did worse than us on Sunday?

Steelers - I see the Steelers are getting blown out by Brady and Patriots 30-3 as I write this.  Do the Patriots even need Brown now?  Is Brady going to be playing until he's 50 with all the time he gets in the pocket?

Jaguars -The Jaguars had high hopes with Foles and his Super Bowl MVP self coming in to save them.  Instead, he is now hurt and the Jags fell 40-26 to the Chiefs.  Mahomes the next Brady?

Browns - The Browns with Mayfield were supposed to now be exiting the cellars of the NFL but instead lost 41-13 to the Titans.

Giants - The Giants did not have high expectations but still expected something from RB Barkley.  Eli started and they lost 35-17 to the Cowboys who barely had to use Zeke.

Bears - And, I should also mention that the Bears and their great defense was good on Thursday this week, but their pitiful offense (and QB?) still lost 10-3 to the Packers.

We did look bad today and below what our talent level should be producing, but really we might have still not have been the worst in the NFL?

Would you consider the Falcons to have been better than at least a few other teams out there this week? 

It's week one. The over reactions are because fans waited since January to see the Falcons play football. To get this, they are upset. Rightfully so. But it's still week one. The Saints let the Bucs put up 48 points on them at home this time last year. We were laughing at the Saints demise...just for them to go on a run and for the Bucs to open up 2-0 with wins at NO and vs PHI and only win 3 games the rest of the year. 

Matt isn't going to look like Blake Bortles every week. Freeman fumbling is as rare as Matt throwing multiple INTs. It just doesn't happen that often. That's 3 turnovers right there, two of which took points off the board, with the other essentially gift wrapping the Vikings 7. It wasn't a level of ineptitude like you saw with the Dolphins. Once the 14 points was spotted, the Falcons kept fighting it out. Yes, 28-0 was really happening. But when you look at what and how it happened, we literally just saw maybe the worse performance of the season for this group. Jake opening the game with the easiest sack he's ever allowed? Like come on. That's not happening every week. 

If this game is an indictment on the season we'll have, DQ will rightfully be fired. But it's not. We've seen these kinds of games before. HeIl, the Vikings got blown out but the dam Bills last year. Every team has at least one game a year where they look stupid (See: ATL-KC '16). DQ has never had this team looking inept for 16 games. Yes, we saw stretches last year after all of the injuries, but you saw them bounce back as well. They'll be fine. It's week one, the weirdest week in football every year. 

No.11, Falconcheff and Bigbenright like this

Browns and mayfield laid a rotten egg yesterday. 

Like I said during offseason, they haven’t learned how to win yet.

And everybody sleeping on Ravens. 

vel likes this

56 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Very true. There are many teams (Saints, Patriots, Steelers, and Falcons that come to mind) who had terrible first games to go on and have great seasons. 

On the flip side, were the Falcons as good as teams that look like they are in mid season form?

The Patriots don't need AB to reach the Superbowl. They have the rest of the season to try and get him up to speed. Did the Falcons look like that?

3 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Very true. There are many teams (Saints, Patriots, Steelers, and Falcons that come to mind) who had terrible first games to go on and have great seasons. 

Yep. We dont "know" much about half the league or so until November. 

The question for this team is are they going to be able to tread water to keep themselves in good shape before November. There were aspects of yesterday that made me think they'll be fine. But there were other aspects that were obviously very discouraging. And I'll admit to being kinda of exhausted by this team making the same sorts of errors every season. I'm not panicked but I'm much more open to the possibility of moving on to a new phase of the franchise if this season doesnt show me something more. 

12 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Meh. Deservedly so.  If you don't want to be compared to the bottom feeders of the league, you have to play better than the Falcons did yesterday. Way, way better.

4dabirds likes this