jetpac

It’s week 1 so before you over react let’s think about some things...

78 posts in this topic

1. We have 3 new starters on the offensive line. This isn’t Madden nor is it plug and play. We have two rookies as well, they need time to Gel and they will. 

2. Regardless of this being Shannys offense Koetter is a new play caller. With Freeman, Sanu and Ridley playing limited snaps in the Preseason and Julio not playing at all. To expect an offensive explosion was wishful at best. 

3. This defensive group also needs time to adjust with Neal and Rico both coming back from Season ending injuries. We showed tremendous pressure up front which is something to be excited about. Most of the things we saw today can be corrected including those open gaps in the run game.

4. The Vikings are a great team with a STELLAR defense and true home field advantage. Take away those silly turnovers and this game is obviously different. 

Thats about all the optimism I’m going to give. Here’s the negatives

1. Quinn was out-coached and never adjusted. This team in all phases outside of special teams were simply sloppy and completely unprepared. The 2 play calls before the Matt Ryan interception in the end zone was down right pitiful. How do you try to smash mouth one of the BEST defensive front in all of football and in the process remove Free Ridley Sanu and Julio from the formation? Who’s call was that.

2. This dual OC system is bad. We never adjusted to what the Vikings were doing nor did we take advantage of Rhodes going out of the game at time. Disappointing to say the least.

3. Oliver is just plain awful. 

Yes, there were individual playcalling issues but generally, the offense moved the ball ok. Turnovers killed it. Time of possession was equal to Minnesota. I'm not saying we dont have a problem but the way this board will go in the next few days...

With the new players at starting positions, I knew we wouldn't be dominating. There were going to be growing pains and there still will be. Just ppl around here like to live in a world where the sky is falling after ONE game. 

Though I'm already concerned regarding Koetter's playcalling abilities

I agree with mostly everything you said. But I disagree with Koetter, he’s not new in fact he’s a veteran and he’s been with the team and Matt before. So his offense should be nothing new to Matt Ryan, at least imo.

Edited by Onlygolden1

I'm not going to over react....in fact, I'm pretty apathetic, which to a football franchise is much more dangerous than over reacting.

27 minutes ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

To be fair, all of the shortcomings we saw today are correctable. Most of them we shot ourselves in the foot.

All shortcomings are correctable.  

We had bad play callings.... fumbles, interceptions, sacks, dropped balls, blocked punts.  We ran the the whole checklist of what not to do in regular season.  Looked like amateurs.  Rookie football.

Will they be corrected?  Who knows?  But if it takes the first 4 regular season games to sort out what should have been addressed in preseason we are going to have another long year.  Especially if our division rivals win better than us.

Edited by Realsurfin
Spelling

Just now, takeitdown said:

Run D was utterly abysmal. 

OL couldn't protect or open up run lanes.

I see no reason for the first...hopefully the 2nd clears up with time together to gel.

Their blocking scheme was great though. Gotta give credit where it’s due. That’s still no excuse for the linebackers not shooting proper gaps

ltstorm2 likes this

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Their blocking scheme was great though. Gotta give credit where it’s due. That’s still no excuse for the linebackers not shooting proper gaps

Yeah, I miss having a scheme like that and schemed wide open receivers.

37 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

Yes, there were individual playcalling issues but generally, the offense moved the ball ok. Turnovers killed it. Time of possession was equal to Minnesota. I'm not saying we dont have a problem but the way this board will go in the next few days...

Most of that was in garbage time against the scrubs.

We can improve. They should be embarrassed for playing so poorly. The coaching staff should be embarrassed for being so unprepared. We looked like GT against Clemson.

34 minutes ago, jetpac said:

1. We have 3 new starters on the offensive line. This isn’t Madden nor is it plug and play. We have two rookies as well, they need time to Gel and they will. 

2. Regardless of this being Shannys offense Koetter is a new play caller. With Freeman, Sanu and Ridley playing limited snaps in the Preseason and Julio not playing at all. To expect an offensive explosion was wishful at best. 

3. This defensive group also needs time to adjust with Neal and Rico both coming back from Season ending injuries. We showed tremendous pressure up front which is something to be excited about. Most of the things we saw today can be corrected including those open gaps in the run game.

4. The Vikings are a great team with a STELLAR defense and true home field advantage. Take away those silly turnovers and this game is obviously different. 

1. Quinn was out-coached and never adjusted. This team in all phases outside of special teams were simply sloppy and completely unprepared. The 2 play calls before the Matt Ryan interception in the end zone was down right pitiful. How do you try to smash mouth one of the BEST defensive front in all of football and in the process remove Free Ridley Sanu and Julio from the formation? Who’s call was that.

2. This dual OC system is bad. We never adjusted to what the Vikings were doing nor did we take advantage of Rhodes going out of the game at time. Disappointing to say the least.

Goes to show, you can't judge a team by the names on the roster. A team needs to learn to play as a team, even if none of the players are different from the prior season. Using the first 4 games of the regular season to get that done after having 5 preseason games to get ready was both foreseeable and unforgivable. 

When 2 out of every 3 positive plays are nullified by penalties, you can't afford to stack on a bunch of mistakes caused by being unprepared for game action.

Ugly wins and losses aren't unusual in the first few games but having systemic weaknesses exposed in game one for all to see going forward is going to be hard to overcome.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We looked like crap, got blown out and still had most of the same issues that we had problems with last year. The Team sucks and that's not an over reaction.

Man, I wish that I could be a homer and start ripping you..... but what you said is truth. The problems seen won’t be fixed in a few weeks. I didn’t realize how bad we are. I was excited about the start of football... but it’s tiresome pulling for overpaid mediocracy.

If we fire Quinn, go throw the farm at Lincoln Riley. I know he plays in the Big 12 and what not, but that dude can coach offense

47 minutes ago, jetpac said:

1. We have 3 new starters on the offensive line. This isn’t Madden nor is it plug and play. We have two rookies as well, they need time to Gel and they will. EXCUSES ARE LIKE BUTTHOLES....EVERYBODY HAS EM AND MOST OF EM STINK!

2. Regardless of this being Shannys offense Koetter is a new play caller. With Freeman, Sanu and Ridley playing limited snaps in the Preseason and Julio not playing at all. To expect an offensive explosion was wishful at best. I WOULD HAVE SETTLED FOR COMPETENCY....THE ONLY OFFENSIVE EXPLOSION REGARDING THAT GAME CAME OUT OF MY MOUTH AFTER SEEING THE PRODUCT ON THE FIELD!

3. This defensive group also needs time to adjust with Neal and Rico both coming back from Season ending injuries. We showed tremendous pressure up front which is something to be excited about. Most of the things we saw today can be corrected including those open gaps in the run game. I WOULD GET EXCITED IF WE PUT A QUARTERBACK ON THE GROUND!  PRESSURE MEANS NOTHING IF YOOU CANT PUT THE MAN DOWN......AND VIC BEASLEY?  COULDN'T FINISH A PRACTICE TEST WITH A CHEATSHEET!

1. Quinn was out-coached and never adjusted. This team in all phases outside of special teams were simply sloppy and completely unprepared. The 2 play calls before the Matt Ryan interception in the end zone was down right pitiful. How do you try to smash mouth one of the BEST defensive front in all of football and in the process remove Free Ridley Sanu and Julio from the formation? Who’s call was that. RIGHT ON BRO!

2. This dual OC system is bad. We never adjusted to what the Vikings were doing nor did we take advantage of Rhodes going out of the game at time. Disappointing to say the least. YEP!

3. Oliver is just plain awful. DISAGREE.....HE NEEDS COACHING...........BUT HE COMPLETELY LACKS ANY DISCIPLINE WHATSOEVER.

THANKS FOR POSTING DUDE........SHARING THE PAIN....ONE POST AT A TIME.......

The o-line will get better. The run defence will get better. When you don’t actually play as units in the preseason, this is what usually happens. You’d think that Quinn would be smart enough to see the trend. Freeman looks slow to me and they need to get him involved in the passing game, and need to help the line by going with more quick throws. I’m not real confident that  Koetter will adjust. 

If we needed time to gel because of all the new players, and we need time to adjust for players coming back from injury, why wasn’t preseason used for these?  I mean, we had five full preseason games that could have been used to help the gelling and adjusting periods.  With an extra preseason game than 30 other teams, we should be more prepared, not less.

Realsurfin and MAD597 like this

1 hour ago, jetpac said:

I dont agree w/ any of this. Those guys are vet's, there shouldn't be an adjustment period. Besides, our defensive shortcomings had nothing to do w/ either of them. D-line, IMO, didn't get much opportunity to showcase their pass-rush as they ran it down our throat all day. If that's not corrected, the pass-rush will be meaningless.

ZoneOne01 and Sun Tzu 7 like this

1 hour ago, jetpac said:

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

"tremendous?"  Nah.

Above average?  Maybe

The Vikings averaged over 5 yards a carry and they also have multiple new starters on the oline.

Just now, RubberDucky said:

I dont agree w/ any of this. Those guys are vet's, there shouldn't be an adjustment period. Besides, our defensive shortcomings had nothing to do w/ either of them. D-line, IMO, didn't get much opportunity to showcase their pass-rush as they ran it down our throat all day. If that's not corrected, the pass-rush will be meaningless.

Those are the guys who made some plays today. Cool would have made more plays.

I understand you being positive and all but I broke my remote today.This totally unacceptable and we better get things turned around fast in the last few years I can't remember us getting dominated like this in a season opener