ryantlanta

We played like total crap and still didn’t get blown out.

88 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

This block wasn't on Bosher. Blocking let more than 1 guy rush free right up the middle. Bosher didn't stand a chance.

I just saw the block for the first time. That guy ran free up the middle like you said. But Bosher still never looked up. Never saw it coming, just like any time he's blocked. He just always trusts that they're being blocked, which of course they should be but still. I mean take a quick peek or something. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, fuego said:

I just saw the block for the first time. That guy ran free up the middle like you said. But Bosher still never looked up. Never saw it coming, just like any time he's blocked. He just always trusts that they're being blocked, which of course they should be but still. I mean take a quick peek or something. 

What's he gonna do to keep that block from happening?

We'll adjust.  Some teams take a little longer.  If we remember correctly we lost to tb IN 2016 and from there we were in every game and and eventually took the league by storm, putting up record setting points.  We WILL get this taken care of.  We have the offense and defense needed to do this....and we will adjust to get back on track.

I always think of 1997 49ers in this reference.  They couldn't do anything week 1, and everyone wrote them off after opening day loss.  They then pulled off 11 straight wins and were one of the more dominant teams.  Noy saying a for sure thing, but i have faith Quinn will right the ship, plus a loss offers so much film to correct mistakes going forward

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What's he gonna do to keep that block from happening?

Use his superior quickness and speed to avoid it? ^_^

At least he could see it and eat the ball instead of it being blocked and keeping the other team from getting even better field position or even a TD. 

1 minute ago, fuego said:

Use his superior quickness and speed to avoid it? ^_^

At least he could see it and eat the ball instead of it being blocked and keeping the other team from getting even better field position or even a TD. 

You need to watch the play again, where the block happened at and where the Vikings took over possession was the same spot.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You need to watch the play again, where the block happened at and where the Vikings took over possession was the same spot.

I'm not talking about this specific block. I'm talking about in general. That doesn't always happen. 

I'm optimistic about the offense. You cannot just start rooks on the OL and expect them to not struggle game 1. Also...its a revamped OL that must gel. I think the offense will improve as the season goes on. 

Defense?   This is what I think is bad.  Our D got blown off the ball on both edges. Its not that the Falcons were out of position. They just could not shed blocks. This is very concerning. Defense needs work....I think there is a lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball. Needs to get fixed.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, KamiKazee27 said:

We played very sloppy and undisciplined. We showed some flashes on both offense and defense, but couldn't overcome our mistakes. The Vikings on the other hand looked well prepared and sharp. Its hard to judge teams in week 1, but we got a lot of things to clean up to give ourselves a shot against the eagles. 

Is it just me or do we only throw out of shotgun under Koetter? We need to commit to the run and play action until the line gels.

If the line is so bad, why would you play action. Sure it can work, but if you can't run the ball, play action isn't going to work. Not to mention, play action passes take more time...

4 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

If the line is so bad, why would you play action. Sure it can work, but if you can't run the ball, play action isn't going to work. Not to mention, play action passes take more time...

Our run game hasn't looked all that bad. No reason to go to shotgun when you get to 3rd and short running the ball. Just gives the other teams pass rushers the green light.

37 minutes ago, KamiKazee27 said:

Our run game hasn't looked all that bad. No reason to go to shotgun when you get to 3rd and short running the ball. Just gives the other teams pass rushers the green light.

Run game wasn't very good. Numbers look better than they really were thanks to Matt Ryan taking off twice and getting 24 yards. Take that away and our backs gained only 49 yards on 15 carries. That's 3.3 yards per carry. But here's the thing, Ito Smith gained 31 yards on 6 carries (good) while Freeman gained only 19 yards on 8 carries (bad).

I need to apologize to @Vandy here about our run game. We should have given Ito more touches since he was gaining yards on the ground. 52/15 pass-to-rush ratio just ain't gonna cut it.

Vandy likes this

8 hours ago, jm_falcons said:

I'm optimistic about the offense. You cannot just start rooks on the OL and expect them to not struggle game 1. Also...its a revamped OL that must gel. I think the offense will improve as the season goes on. 

Defense?   This is what I think is bad.  Our D got blown off the ball on both edges. Its not that the Falcons were out of position. They just could not shed blocks. This is very concerning. Defense needs work....I think there is a lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball. Needs to get fixed.

I agree 100%. Offensive struggles were no surprise, but defensively the fact we looked so pathetic with Dan Quinn taking over a unit that has been largely the same since 2016 was incredibly disappointing. No reason why the defense should have performed so poorly.  

Im still in awe about Quinn hopefully realizing Cousin's isnt a passer and we still looked unprepared to stop Minnesotas run game. Quinn has had months to prepare for this first game, and he allowed Minnesota to do exactly what everyone knew they wanted to do. I'd honestly be ok if we stacked the box on D and Cousins beat us throwing.. But to know Minnesota wanted to run against us and the team still looked unprepared and allowed it to happen is very troublesome. I hate to use this as an example, but does anyone believe Belichick would have let a run team run against his D?