Roanoke Falcon

Where do we go from here?

112 posts in this topic

Losing can be contagious, which is why I don't like, not trying to win games in the pre-season. It seems like we suck every pre-season and then the regular season starts and we have a very difficult time winning to start the season, because we've gotten used to losing. Guys can tell themselves the games don't matter and winning them doesn't matter, but I think losing can stick into your subconscious. 

vitaman likes this

We finish 3-13 fire TD, Quinn and the entire front office and coaching staff and maybe if we are lucky our rebuild pays off before Ryan is 40 and JJ retires.

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

That’s the best you got? 

As I was at that game, I can tell you that Tampa played a pretty good game that day, which all NFL teams are capable of. 

Sure, but the saints ultimate went to the conference championship and the Bucs were...bad. All I’m saying is, it’s way too early to quit on the season

Rhodaric, Vandy and Sui_Generis like this

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Sure, but the saints ultimate went to the conference championship and the Bucs were...bad. All I’m saying is, it’s way too early to quit on the season

And I am saying it’s a culture issue when are not prepared.

Flying Falcon likes this

I get it.  I've said this for YEARS.  You get the online and dline right FIRST.  Then you can evaluate everything else.  We NEED a real running game with a BIG back, not scatbacks and to get a running game we need a good OLINE.  Once you get the play action passing going, you can do very well.  I don't like Matt Ryan but you have to have an OLINE and a complimentary running game before you do anything else.

mqg96 and vitaman like this

35 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Lost at home to the Bucs in 2016 in the opener. Went to the super bowl

That's an awful comparison. The 2016 Falcons looked way better in the preseason and in the Bucs opener they came from behind and barely lost 31-24. They were showing good signs throughout that game despite being sloppy at the beginning, and that Bucs team ended up being 2nd in the division at 9-7. Jameis Winston's best team up to date.

Kirk Cousins isn't a great QB, he's alright, but he only beats teams with losing records, and doesn't beat teams with winning records unless it's in his own division once in awhile. The Falcons looked bad in all 3 phases, O-line, D-line, and special teams. We look like that 4-12 team from 2013. 

vitaman likes this

Just now, mqg96 said:

That's an awful comparison. The 2016 Falcons looked way better in the preseason and in the Bucs opener they came from behind and barely lost 31-24. They were showing good signs throughout that game despite being sloppy at the beginning, and that Bucs team ended up being 2nd in the division at 9-7. Jameis Winston's best team up to date.

Kirk Cousins isn't a great QB, he's alright, but he only beats teams with losing records, and doesn't beat teams with winning records unless it's in his own division once in awhile. The Falcons looked bad in all 3 phases, O-line, D-line, and special teams. We look like that 4-12 team from 2013. 

Cousins threw the ball 10 times today. For less than 100 yards. If my comparison is bad, then yours is worse 

Sui_Generis likes this

4 minutes ago, red2play said:

I get it.  I've said this for YEARS.  You get the online and dline right FIRST.  Then you can evaluate everything else.  We NEED a real running game with a BIG back, not scatbacks and to get a running game we need a good OLINE.  Once you get the play action passing going, you can do very well.  I don't like Matt Ryan but you have to have an OLINE and a complimentary running game before you do anything else.

Exactly. The Falcons small backs (like Freeman) were built more for Shanahan's speedy west coast offense. For a power run blocking scheme offense where you run out clock and protect Matt Ryan very well, you need the BIG backs and the BIG running game, and BIG HOGS up front. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Cousins threw the ball 10 times today. For less than 100 yards. If my comparison is bad, then yours is worse 

Being blown out 28-0 until the vikings play prevent is better?

Flying Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Cousins only throws the ball 10 times yet you're down 21 nothing, 28 nothing, and you're getting beat bad at the lines of scrimmage. Getting ran over my Dalvin Cook like that. **** no. The Falcons would have gotten beat worse if it was Carson Wentz or Drew Brees back there. We are terrible right now and it's not even close, and this bad O-line was exposed in the 3rd preseason game against the Redskins too. We have 2 rookie offensive linemen, they're not going to figure it out in 1 season. It's going to take time. 

Flying Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

From the VERY FIRST play, the way Matt Ryan got beat up with that hard sack. Set the tone for how bad this game was going to go. The blocked punt, and from there on. You think we're like the 2016 Falcons? **** no. The 1st game against the Bucs in 2016 was a lot better than this. 

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

From the VERY FIRST play, the way Matt Ryan got beat up with that hard sack. Set the tone for how bad this game was going to go. The blocked punt, and from there on. You think we're like the 2016 Falcons? **** no. The 1st game against the Bucs in 2016 was a lot better than this. 

So I ask again: where do we go from here? How long will it take to rebuild? Will it require a complete Dolphins-esque blowup/tank/rebuild? Or more of a re-tooling? Who stays? Who goes?

6 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

So I ask again: where do we go from here? How long will it take to rebuild? Will it require a complete Dolphins-esque blowup/tank/rebuild? Or more of a re-tooling? Who stays? Who goes?

Think the Atlants Braves rebuild, we may if we are lucky get things in place to catch maybe 1 or 2 of Ryan's later years while he is still effective.

But kiss the next 2-4 years goodbye as far as being contenders go.

mqg96 likes this

9 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

If it were me, I would trade Julio and Matt Ryan for 1-3 rd picks and start building an Oline, to top 5 at least.  Then I'd get Andrew Thomas/Albert Okwuegbunam/Swift/Coe and next year, Jake From.  That way, we would have an Oline and an Rb waiting for From.  Any of the three from the trades, if possible or two.  We can do this at the end of the season.

It was 28-0 at one point but it should have been 49-0. Their lead came from those three turnovers - 2 in the redzone, one on the Falcons side of the field and the blocked punt. Falcons make fewer to no mistakes, which they are capable of, the score is different. Other than capitalizing on Falcon mistakes, the Vikings didn't look that great. 

vitaman likes this

3 hours ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Said it in another thread but these problems aren’t fixable in one or two weeks. It’s going to be a rough season.

That’s just it!!! Not fixable in a few weeks! All through the summer and the season this stuff should have been ironed out. Not game 1!!!!!

vitaman likes this

It's funny that every loss = complete tear down and tank

But 

Every win = super bowl bound 

Not much in between I suppose.

1 hour ago, red2play said:

If it were me, I would trade Julio and Matt Ryan for 1-3 rd picks and start building an Oline, to top 5 at least.  Then I'd get Andrew Thomas/Albert Okwuegbunam/Swift/Coe and next year, Jake From.  That way, we would have an Oline and an Rb waiting for From.  Any of the three from the trades, if possible or two.  We can do this at the end of the season.

Paying Julio might come to bite them. Sanu and Ridley overall has better games today. Ryan although he had 2 TD passes with over 300 passing yards which we all know is garbage time just looks average. The 2 interceptions negate his TD passes. I am not against rebuilding. We missed the bowl and it’s time for another way at it. 

I hate Sean Payton, but he is always on fire.. Quinn is talking brotherhood and Payton is building a winning team.

vitaman likes this