Monoxide

*** Official Falcons Vs Vikings In-Game Thread ***

3,212 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

It’s pitiful really. The talent on this team should be able to play with any team. 

They looked out of sync and playing as individuals. The defense could be a result of getting guys back and not having much PT since before last year. 

And I hate to say it because I’m not a “preseason wins matter” type of guy, but waiting until week one to give guys some time together against live competition isn’t getting it. This group always comes out slow in week 1. 

Not entirely true. Defense played well in PHI last year week 1 after sitting key players.

They also played together minus DeBo for most of the Redskins game, iirc.

I think the biggest thing is we have a change in our front this year that DQ either hasn’t 1) taught thoroughly enough for players to execute OR worse would be 2) having flaws in the system itself.

We gonna find out real quick.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Not entirely true. Defense played well in PHI last year week 1 after sitting key players.

They also played together minus DeBo for most of the Redskins game, iirc.

I think the biggest thing is we have a change in our front this year that DQ either hasn’t 1) taught/coaches thoroughly enough for players to execute OR worse would be 2) having flaws in the system itself.

We gonna find out real quick.

To your first point, that was before Debo got 3/4 of the year off, with Rico and Neal getting the rest of the year off. 

Several of these guys haven’t played meaningful football in nearly a year is what I’m trying to say so it’s going to look clunky and out of sync until they “gel.” 

That said, the defense didn’t look good, but the offense didn’t help them. Hard to believe ALL of Minnesota’s scores came off of turnovers/errors. 

1 hour ago, quotemokc said:

Watching the Patriots O just angers me, Brady has nothing but wide open players to throw to for huge gains on short routes

Almost no pressure at all too. Dude just stands back there, relaxed, waiting for someone to get open... Its pitiful.

8 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

To your first point, that was before Debo got 3/4 of the year off, with Rico and Neal getting the rest of the year off. 

Several of these guys haven’t played meaningful football in nearly a year is what I’m trying to say so it’s going to look clunky and out of sync until they “gel.” 

That said, the defense didn’t look good, but the offense didn’t help them. Hard to believe ALL of Minnesota’s scores came off of turnovers/errors. 

Good points. You’re right. I think our system adjustments/different front will take time to coach up in meaningful games unfortunately.

Dramatic swings off Turnovers change what players and coaches were expecting. Puts Defenses in a bind most of the time.

All that said, the run D did improve in the 2nd half.

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Good points. You’re right. I think our system adjustments/different front will take time to coach up in meaningful games unfortunately.

Dramatic swings off Turnovers change what players and coaches were expecting. Puts Defenses in a bind most of the time.

All that said, the run D did improve in the 2nd half.

Yup...i think they had 50 yards or so in the second half

Schwarzwald likes this

9 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Yup...i think they had 50 yards or so in the second half

With a 21 point lead at half and their defense controlling our offense, the Vikings figured it was better to avoid any injuries than run up their offensive stats.

9 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

With a 21 point lead at half and their defense controlling our offense, the Vikings figured it was better to avoid any injuries than run up their offensive stats.

There is that....but we played better gap discipline.

Schwarzwald likes this

11 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I don’t buy that.

the ravens didn’t hold back.

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

No opponent was winning that first game back from Katrina. I watched it and thought it was pretty much over from the get. 

Most pissed off I had been about a game since SB33 and the 2004 NFCCG, at least until more recently.

VTCrunkler likes this

7 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Most pissed off I had been about a game since SB33 and the 2004 NFCCG, at least until more recently.

It was a fait acompliti 

17 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Name one WR that plays 90% of the snaps.

Dude, I don't really care about that number.  My overall point is that he isn't on the field enough.  Why is he off the field for our 5th or 6th play of the year?  I don't know how accurate this site is, but since you asked, I did a quick google search.  Using the link below, apparently Hopkins, Thielen, Woods, Fitzgerald, Shepard, and Agholor were at 90+ percent of plays in 2018.  Apparently Julio is 28th, even Sanu plays a greater percentage of plays.  I don't want to get stuck on the number, but can my star give me 85%?  You think that's asking too much?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts?team=ALL&week=ALL&position=WR&year=2018&op=Submit&form_build_id=form--1thJJcNqNjRFVdcnnseTepxA0R51_Y9jTb04Ijm6Dw&form_id=fo_stats_snap_counts_form

33 minutes ago, isproab said:

Dude, I don't really care about that number.  My overall point is that he isn't on the field enough.  Why is he off the field for our 5th or 6th play of the year?  I don't know how accurate this site is, but since you asked, I did a quick google search.  Using the link below, apparently Hopkins, Thielen, Woods, Fitzgerald, Shepard, and Agholor were at 90+ percent of plays in 2018.  Apparently Julio is 28th, even Sanu plays a greater percentage of plays.  I don't want to get stuck on the number, but can my star give me 85%?  You think that's asking too much?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts?team=ALL&week=ALL&position=WR&year=2018&op=Submit&form_build_id=form--1thJJcNqNjRFVdcnnseTepxA0R51_Y9jTb04Ijm6Dw&form_id=fo_stats_snap_counts_form

You realize that the Falcons have different WR packages for different plays for a reason right? Has nothing to do with Julio not being capable of playing more snaps. It's just that for particular play calls he's not apart of the set personnel. This is nothing unique to the Falcons. It's what every team does.

14 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The Ravens also make a point to win their preseason games and do not fear injuries in them.

How many Super Bowls have they won during this amazing preseason winning streak?

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

How many Super Bowls have they won during this amazing preseason winning streak?

Actually, they went 2-2 to start preseason including a win over the Falcons in game 1 and a blowout of the Jaguars in week 3 (when regulars play?) before winning the Super Bowl in 2013.  I am not saying that 2-2 is a great preseason but it certainly beats 0-4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Baltimore_Ravens_season#Preseason

14 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The Ravens also make a point to win their preseason games and do not fear injuries in them.

I think they make a point of using the preseason game to prepare their guys for live action.  In their eyes (and mine) that outweighs the injury fear.

The winning just comes from them taking them seriously.  They probably don't actually care about actually winning any particular game.

29 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You realize that the Falcons have different WR packages for different plays for a reason right? Has nothing to do with Julio not being capable of playing more snaps. It's just that for particular play calls he's not apart of the set personnel. This is nothing unique to the Falcons. It's what every team does.

I am 100% familiar with the concept.  I know exactly how it works.  My deal is, if you want to win games, you put your best players out there.  Please tell me what play you have confidence in with Gauge and Hardy out there at the WR spots?  Its game #1, first quarter.  Not like they have been out there running up and down the field all day.  

Watch all season long and pay attention.  Critical plays, critical downs and Julio is not out there.  I get packages, Julio should be in every package.  Of course there is a sub for him that can play in his spot.  Its DUMB to be not even 10 offensive plays into the season and see Julio and Sanu sidelines.  No wonder we didn't score in the first half.  No wonder we looked like we didn't have a clue.  I'm of the opinion this has to change.  Like I said earlier, if you can't be on the field 90% of the plays, then I don't see how you justify a 66 million dollar extension.  Just my opinion, but it will end up getting Quinn fired.  Julio will be well rested for what, just in case he has to play a 5th quarter or a 20th game?

Edited by isproab
JeffAtl and KRUNKuno like this

5 hours ago, isproab said:

I am 100% familiar with the concept.  I know exactly how it works.  My deal is, if you want to win games, you put your best players out there.  Please tell me what play you have confidence in with Gauge and Hardy out there at the WR spots?  Its game #1, first quarter.  Not like they have been out there running up and down the field all day.  

Watch all season long and pay attention.  Critical plays, critical downs and Julio is not out there.  I get packages, Julio should be in every package.  Of course there is a sub for him that can play in his spot.  Its DUMB to be not even 10 offensive plays into the season and see Julio and Sanu sidelines.  No wonder we didn't score in the first half.  No wonder we looked like we didn't have a clue.  I'm of the opinion this has to change.  Like I said earlier, if you can't be on the field 90% of the plays, then I don't see how you justify a 66 million dollar extension.  Just my opinion, but it will end up getting Quinn fired.  Julio will be well rested for what, just in case he has to play a 5th quarter or a 20th game?

Don't know what game you were watching but Gage and Hardy looked pretty **** good yesterday.

On 9/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

lol dude hasn't been turnover prone. Are you drunk or high?

I wasn’t even talking about turn overs.... I was talking about his usual speech just like we’ve heard him have to say over and over again which means we have had a lot of issues. He takes the heat but.... nothing changes. Not high... I have to work in plants and my job depends on not being high. 

2 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I wasn’t even talking about turn overs.... I was talking about his usual speech just like we’ve heard him have to say over and over again which means we have had a lot of issues. He takes the heat but.... nothing changes. Not high... I have to work in plants and my job depends on not being high. 

Ryan is the least of our problems. Your post made little sense. Or did you ignore his play last season? Ryan’s play was amazing.

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Ryan is the least of our problems. Your post made little sense. Or did you ignore his play last season? Ryan’s play was amazing.

Dude you still missing the point..... I didn’t say Ryan hasnt played well..... but you would have to admit we have seen Ryan have to make s lot of these speeches which = huge problems within our organization. I’ve followed this team since 1972..... so I have the right to my opinion just like you do. Lighten up.... it’s not a personal attack on you. :lol:

Schwarzwald likes this