Monoxide

*** Official Falcons Vs Vikings In-Game Thread ***

3,212 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

sorry Vandy but no it's pure stupidity.

The Falcons had the ball two times in scoring position...we fumbled and threw an interception.

No matter what any numbnuts has to say that is not on the offensive coordinator, head coach or anybody but the players themselves.

We had another two drives that we're positive dries but the penalties ended up derailing the drive.... I don't necessarily put the penalties on the players as much simply because those are so sprightly called by the refs.

After the first two series the Falcons adjusted at move the ball very well versus Vikings. And the Falcons had their chances they just simply did not make the most of them.

To say that the Falcons never had a chance before they even stepped on the field is Swift level stupidity.... It seriously makes Skip Bayless sound like a Rhodes Scholar

I disagree. The coaching was subpar. The offense looked like it was prepared to get manhandled instead of attacking. When Rhodes got hurt, they didn't even attack the replacement. Same when Alexander got hurt. There didn't seem to be any in game adjusting on offense. 

On defense, oh boy. They had no clue how to stop the run. Edge defense was non existent. The worst part? We ALL knew the Vikings were going to attack the edges. We know Kubiak's offense. But they looked clueless. Not even pushed around, just looked like they had no idea how to man their gaps. Never forced the Vikings to throw the ball. This is also why I hate raw stats. They "only" gave up 98 yards today but that was because the Vikings offense didn't have to bother throwing the ball. It was embarrassing. Especially after all of the talk of "DQ is taking over and the defense is going to take a step forward". 

The offense was always going to have a tough game. But it's disheartening that the Falcons played an offense that only threw the ball 10 times, came into the game wanting to run the ball at least 30 times a game, only four WRs active, and never really threatened downfield. That's sad. The only solace I take in this is it being week one. But like you said, the play execution was the absolute worse part. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Heck yeah I’m gonna blame him for throwing the ball in the red zone without our WRers in the game. 

So we're not supposed to throw to the tight ends? Only receivers? C'mon dude, you're being crazy right now. Hooper was open. Should have been a TD. Don't know what Ryan was doing not throwing to him. The play call was fine. I know you don't like Koetter, and I really don't either, but the play call was fine.

1 minute ago, vel said:

I disagree. The coaching was subpar. The offense looked like it was prepared to get manhandled instead of attacking. When Rhodes got hurt, they didn't even attack the replacement. Same when Alexander got hurt. There didn't seem to be any in game adjusting on offense. 

On defense, oh boy. They had no clue how to stop the run. Edge defense was non existent. The worst part? We ALL knew the Vikings were going to attack the edges. We know Kubiak's offense. But they looked clueless. Not even pushed around, just looked like they had no idea how to man their gaps. Never forced the Vikings to throw the ball. This is also why I hate raw stats. They "only" gave up 98 yards today but that was because the Vikings offense didn't have to bother throwing the ball. It was embarrassing. Especially after all of the talk of "DQ is taking over and the defense is going to take a step forward". 

The offense was always going to have a tough game. But it's disheartening that the Falcons played an offense that only threw the ball 10 times, came into the game wanting to run the ball at least 30 times a game, only four WRs active, and never really threatened downfield. That's sad. The only solace I take in this is it being week one. But like you said, the play execution was the absolute worse part. 

Excellent points as usual. 

It’s a long season, but I don’t know what it is about this team that keeps coming out flat in game 1. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

So we're not supposed to throw to the tight ends? Only receivers? C'mon dude, you're being crazy right now. Hooper was open. Should have been a TD. Don't know what Ryan was doing not throwing to him. The play call was fine. I know you don't like Koetter, and I really don't either, but the play call was fine.

Crazy huh? 

Did it work? 

And I didn’t say we shouldn’t throw to TEs. But in a game you are way behind in, you want your best out there in the RZ when passing the ball. 

Excellent points as usual. 

It’s a long season, but I don’t know what it is about this team that keeps coming out flat in game 1. 

Lack of film. Lack of coaching points. Saints I think are on a 5 game losing streak in week one. It's a tough week. Even if they don't win next week, they just can't look as inept. They just looked poorly coached. Couldn't even get the basics. 

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Heck yeah I’m gonna blame him for throwing the ball in the red zone without our WRers in the game. 

Almost every team has a heavy packages that has a goal line pass with no receivers. 

It is not uncommon or a bad call per say.... because again if Ryan pulls the trigger faster it's a touchdown.

OR if Stocker continues to run the route as he's supposed to there's a good chance that is at least an incomplete pass and not an interception

I am not going to get mad at a coach for designing a play that if executed correctly gets the desired result ....which is 6 points.

And it was a good time to call it because second down.... if Ryan does throw the ball away then the Falcons have two more Downs to play with.

So again may not have been my first choice but I absolutely understand the logic.

Falconsfan567 likes this

7 minutes ago, vel said:

I cannot believe we didn’t target Rhodes’ replacement. 

Schwarzwald and Vandy like this

Crazy huh? 

Did it work? 

And I didn’t say we shouldn’t throw to TEs. But in a game you are way behind in, you want your best out there in the RZ when passing the ball. 

Vandy you're smart enough to know that not every bad play outcome is the result of a bad play call just like not every good outcome is the result of a good outcome. Would you still be *****ing about the play call if Ryan throws it to Hooper and it's a TD like he should have done? All blame for that interception falls on Ryan. Ryan played like **** today. He had multiple open receivers all game and missed them. I don't know what his deal is when he plays against a Mike Zimmer defense but dude wets the bed big time and today was another example of that.

3 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Watching the Patriots O just angers me, Brady has nothing but wide open players to throw to for huge gains on short routes

@TheFatboi

youll have to show me or tell me how patriots wr read coverage (if you’re watching it)

1 minute ago, vel said:

Lack of film. Lack of coaching points. Saints I think are on a 5 game losing streak in week one. It's a tough week. Even if they don't win next week, they just can't look as inept. They just looked poorly coached. Couldn't even get the basics. 

The team looking so lethargic is concerning. Like you said, gotta dig deep next week. 

Schwarzwald likes this

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Almost every team has a heavy packages that has a goal line pass with no receivers. 

It is not uncommon or a bad call per say.... because again if Ryan pulls the trigger faster it's a touchdown.

OR if Stocker continues to run the route as he's supposed to there's a good chance that is at least an incomplete pass and not an interception

I am not going to get mad at a coach for designing a play that if executed correctly gets the desired result ....which is 6 points.

And it was a good time to call it because second down.... if Ryan does throw the ball away then the Falcons have two more Downs to play with.

So again may not have been my first choice but I absolutely understand the logic.

Stocker not running the route and Matt throwing a pass up for grabs are all examples of an offense out-of-rhythm. Which all comes back to coaching. 

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Vandy you're smart enough to know that not every bad play outcome is the result of a bad play call just like not every good outcome is the result of a good outcome. Would you still be *****ing about the play call if Ryan throws it to Hooper and it's a TD like he should have done? All blame for that interception falls on Ryan. Ryan played like **** today. He had multiple open receivers all game and missed them. I don't know what his deal is when he plays against a Mike Zimmer defense but dude wets the bed big time and today was another example of that.

I would still be pizzed because we still would have got our azzes kicked.  Couple 4th quarter garbage TDs doesn’t change any of that.

As far as me being smart or dumb, whatever. Right now i’m pizzed. Our effort today was lethargic, there’s no denying that. Zimmer’s staff hands down out-schemed us on both sides of ball.  What’s Shocking to me is you guys don’t see that as bad coaching. 

Jerz #Quinning likes this

19 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm just disappointed in the defense. They let the Vikings run wild. It was embarrassing. All the talk about getting our starters back on defense and Quinn calling the defense and it was 2018 all over again.

This, 100%. I mean this D should have been, at least in terms of compete level, amped up as could be. They had pro bowlers returning, and while I expected Oliver to take a couple of lumps and Takk and/or Beasley to commit a couple of facepalms, the overall effort on all 3 levels was awful. The few times they weren't confused, they were just getting manhandled instead.

Just now, Vandy said:

Shocker not running the route and Matt throwing a pass up for grabs comes back to coaching. 

I would still be pizzed because we still would have got our azzes kicked.  Couple 4th quarter garbage TDs don’t change that.

As far as me being smart or dumb, whatever. It’s Shocking to me you guys don’t see that as coaching. 

If that falcons take advantage of the. Oppertunites that were there it is a totally different ball game.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Stocker not running the route and Matt throwing a pass up for grabs are all examples of an offense out-of-rhythm. Which all comes back to coaching. 

I would still be pizzed because we still would have got our azzes kicked.  Couple 4th quarter garbage TDs doesn’t change any of that.

As far as me being smart or dumb, whatever. Our effort today was lethargic.  It’s Shocking to me you guys don’t see that as coaching. 

I have said coaching is the reason the Falcons lost this game, but I don't think Koetter called a bad game. I think the coaching issue was Dan Quinn and the defense. What the offense did or didn't do today didn't surprise me one bit because Matt Ryan has never done well against a Mike Zimmer coached defense. We've had different OC's and yet Ryan always looks like crap against Zimmer. That's a Matt Ryan issue.

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I have said coaching is the reason the Falcons lost this game, but I don't think Koetter called a bad game. I think the coaching issue was Dan Quinn and the defense. What the offense did or didn't do today didn't surprise me one bit because Matt Ryan has never done well against a Mike Zimmer coached defense. We've had different OC's and yet Ryan always looks like crap against Zimmer. That's a Matt Ryan issue.

We ran the ball for 73 yards, 24 of which came from Matt scrambling for his life. You are gonna lose every time  if you continue running the ball only 1/3 and pass 2/3. 

Thats not a Matt Ryan issue, it’s a playcalling issue. And I just knew it before we even started when we didn't activate Hill/Ollie we weren’t committed to running the ball. 

Jerz #Quinning likes this

Just now, Vandy said:

We ran the ball for 73 yards, 24 of which came from Matt scrambling for his life. You are gonna lose if you continue running the ball only 1/3 of the time. 

Thats not a Matt Ryan issue, it’s a playcalling issue. And I just knew it before we even started we weren’t gonna try and run. 

Did you see the Falcons attempt to run the ball? It wasn't pretty! I rather have a coach stop trying to run when it isn't working than to keep running into a brick wall and we get nothing but 3-and-outs the entire game. You think Koetter likes throwing 60/70% of the time? That's the thing I don't get. Folks act like Koetter likes calling all these pass plays when the facts are that when the running game works he uses it. Today the run game wasn't working so he stopped trying. I don't blame him for it. If anything, Mike Mularkey is the guy you need to be *****ing about for the Falcons to not running the ball today.

10 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Did you see the Falcons attempt to run the ball? It wasn't pretty! I rather have a coach stop trying to run when it isn't working than to keep running into a brick wall and we get nothing but 3-and-outs the entire game. You think Koetter likes throwing 60/70% of the time? That's the thing I don't get. Folks act like Koetter likes calling all these pass plays when the facts are that when the running game works he uses it. Today the run game wasn't working so he stopped trying. I don't blame him for it. If anything, Mike Mularkey is the guy you need to be *****ing about for the Falcons to not running the ball today.

Come on. You keep running so they don’t just tee off on your QB. A good defensive team like Minny loves to make you go to the one-dimensional offense, that’s when they know you’ve lost. We went away from the run way too soon. And again, where were our big backs hill or Ollison? 

And  heck yeah I’m *****ing about Mularkey too, I’m *****ing about everyone on quinn’s coaching Staff. They came out unprepared. But most of all the two coordinators, who  had no answers to their opponents schemes. 

We got completely outcoached on both sides. If you can’t see that from this fiasco, then man oh man. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Honestly, Falcons turnovers and going down 14-0 and 21-0 quickly is what did in the run game.

Before it snowballed we got Free out of there and gave Ito some touches. Offense instantly starts moving the ball.

Give Koetter a chance to adjust vs another good front coming in next Sunday night with PHI.

I think we would’ve stayed more balanced with run/pass had game not got out of hand.

Our run D tightened up in the 2nd half mostly, but it was too little too late.

They got 3 YPC after their first 5 runs. Think about that.

^Our START was what killed us:

Defense; especially vs the run had given up like 80 yards on initial 5 carries...MAJOR ASSIGNMENTS BLOWN.... 

STs huge gaffe on its first Punt

Offense...Matthews has an uncharacteristically bad game himself and we knew OL otherwise would take time...Matt was throwing high and giving turnovers with 1 being a lazy throw away.

Guys usually better were not. Maybe Quinn gets his run D on point and we see if our pass rush will show up this year. Maybe Dirk adjusts and our game plans improve.

This start can be overcome.

IMO, the hole we got in doesn’t give us enough of a complete picture...as we had to get away from gameplan in PART from the major mistakes in basic run D on edges, turnovers and the blocked Punt.

blkbigdog35 likes this

45 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

@TheFatboi

youll have to show me or tell me how patriots wr read coverage (if you’re watching it)

Lot of those wide open routes tonight are them taking advantage of Pittsburgh’s fast flow linebackers. They’re coming downhill to attack them gaps on every run.

Patriot receivers are just slipping right into that void.

I knew this game was over after the first series. A free runner gets a sack on the very first play then the blocked punt. 

Reminded me of when Denver got creamed in the SB by the Seahawks after the first snap of the game went past Manning. 

Just an an ugly game with plenty of blame to go around. 

3 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I knew this game was over after the first series. A free runner gets a sack on the very first play then the blocked punt. 

Reminded me of when Denver got creamed in the SB by the Seahawks after the first snap of the game went past Manning. 

Just an an ugly game with plenty of blame to go around. 

Saints first game in NO after Katrina.

Saints game in NO in 2017 after complaining we got calls in the ATL game earlier that season.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Lot of those wide open routes tonight are them taking advantage of Pittsburgh’s fast flow linebackers. They’re coming downhill to attack them gaps on every run.

Patriot receivers are just slipping right into that void.

I mean, they are getting wide open. Seems like a lot of blown coverages. I hate that those LBs have to respect the run on play action and Brady just drops the ball in behind them. 

Mom D, the Pats seem to be immediately present to co test every single throw. Also Gilmore looks like he’s holding every play. Maybe just my biases...

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Saints game in NO in 2017 after complaining we got calls in the ATL game earlier that season.

No opponent was winning that first game back from Katrina. I watched it and thought it was pretty much over from the get. 

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s pitiful really. The talent on this team should be able to play with any team. 

They looked out of sync and playing as individuals. The defense could be a result of getting guys back and not having much PT since before last year. 

And I hate to say it because I’m not a “preseason wins matter” type of guy, but waiting until week one to give guys some time together against live competition isn’t getting it. This group always comes out slow in week 1. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this