Monoxide

*** Official Falcons Vs Vikings In-Game Thread ***

3,212 posts in this topic

Well, that was ugly all the way around. Glad it's only one game. None of the "pillars" showed up today, Matthews had his worst game in years, Ryan threw 2 picks, Grady and Debo didn't do much, Julio wasn't impressive either.

I hope the tries for two weren't about Bryant. It's even worse decision. if it's not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Realsurfin said:

All because you post a gazzillian posts a week does not make "us" clueless.

Considering that I have barley posted in TATF this offseason....

Bringing that up DOES make you clueless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jidady said:

It's important to remember that many of the negative posts are from fans of other teams pretending to like the Falcons. And most of the others are several drinks in after a pretty miserable three hours. I've watched people rant about Jake Matthews and Desmond Trufant, two of our best draft picks ever. It's that kind of day.

Jake Matthews played like **** today dude. No way to sugar coat it. He's supposed to be our 2nd best offensive lineman and right off the opening snap of the game he allows a sack and it never got any better.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Saving Bryant who is on a Kick count... :ninja:

He is this team's best scorer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Jake Matthews played like **** today dude. No way to sugar coat it. He's supposed to be our 2nd best offensive lineman and right off the opening snap of the game he allows a sack and it never got any better.

Oh, no question there. It's quite possibly the worst game he's had as a Falcon. I'm saying that his poor play today had people saying that he's never been that good, which is a Skip Bayless-type innate losing argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It boils down to the coaches BARBECUING every mistake on film from this game while also highlighting when players did it right.

This includes Ryan's mistakes. EVERYTHING must be grilled on this week and play with a statement protecting the Benz next Sunday night.

We have tons of years of coaching experience on this staff. It NEEDS to get done. I think it will be fixed.

Bumping...gotta get down to real coaching up this team.

We made changes to both coordinator positions and Quinn took on being FT DC. Offense is the most glaring issue, IMO, but defense can't get run on like we did. ESPECIALLY with blown assignments.

Overall, McGary had a VERY nice game 1. Sack on him was really Hooper's fault this game.

One can only hope Lindstrom's injury is minor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Officiating had nothing to do with the offense getting owned. And I'm sorry, but the turnovers are a part of the equation. We can't just take those out. The offense looked horrendous. We couldn't run the ball and Matt was under great pressure all game. Completely new OL and looked just as terrible as last year.

Officiating has a lot to do with keeping the Vikings O alive and keeping our D on the field. Gage gets that H2H call or Neal doesn't get flagged for the hit and the game can potentially changed. There was also MASSIVE holding by the Vikings O-line that was never called.

Turnovers happen to everyone and I'm not saying we shouldn't execute better, but we lost this game mainly because of sloppy play. The talent is still there, and the O-line still needs time to gel as a complete unit. These are fixable problems and it's WAY too early to jump ship.

Drew4719 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mattyicefalcon said:

We dont stand chance with our own division honestly.

I think you are right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I'm confident we'll bounce back. D actually played decently and some of the penalties were 'questionable' to say the least. Offense could have easily had 2 more scores without the fumble and the TE giving up on his route.

We can get it together.

D actually played decent? I agree that there were a couple of weak calls against them that allowed the Vikings to keep the ball, but I don't see how you can say they played decent when Vikings ran the ball at will all game.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I'm confident we'll bounce back. D actually played decently and some of the penalties were 'questionable' to say the least. Offense could have easily had 2 more scores without the fumble and the TE giving up on his route.

We can get it together.

Yup.

There were alot of mistakes that are fixable.

Will they get fixed? Who knows but it is fixable.

Both on offense and defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Falcons don't play bad cause a fan has a drink.  The coaching really needs to be looked at.  Other teams turn it around fast.  Falcon takes years.  Lets see how the first 4 go.  So far we ate the pooch.  Not even a close game.  I give it a d minus and that is being generous.  Freemans problem is he is so predictable.  Our run game gets shut down too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jidady said:

Oh, no question there. It's quite possibly the worst game he's had as a Falcon. I'm saying that his poor play today had people saying that he's never been that good, which is a Skip Bayless-type innate losing argument.

Yeah, alright, you're right there. Matthews is normally very good, but not today. Worst game as a Falcon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

D actually played decent? I agree that there were a couple of weak calls against them that allowed the Vikings to keep the ball, but I don't see how you can say they played decent when Vikings ran the ball at will all game.

Cooks no joke, but they also had dang good field position several times during the game especially after the Freeman fumble and the Neal PI. 

We'll clean it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah, alright, you're right there. Matthews is normally very good, but not today. Worst game as a Falcon.

Barner and Grady were best players of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Officiating has a lot to do with keeping the Vikings O alive and keeping our D on the field. Gage gets that H2H call or Neal doesn't get flagged for the hit and the game can potentially changed. There was also MASSIVE holding by the Vikings O-line that was never called.

Turnovers happen to everyone and I'm not saying we shouldn't execute better, but we lost this game mainly because of sloppy play. The talent is still there, and the O-line still needs time to gel as a complete unit. These are fixable problems and it's WAY too early to jump ship.

The problem is coaching. That's the problem!! Team was so unprepared to play today. I don't know why the Falcons always start the season like this under Dan Quinn. I don't understand why this team always looks like they've never played football together before. The only good news is that in week 2 games under Dan Quinn the Falcons are undefeated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

This game wouldn't have gotten out of hand if it weren't for fumbles, missed assignments and terrible officiating.

Free doesn't drop the ball, and Stocker doesn't quit on his route and we could have had 2 scores right there. These things can be fixed. It's not the end of the world.

Stocker is a blocker. Run-over The Vikings....That pass was a corner fade rote with a blocking TE (who knows Dirk's offense from his time in Tampa,).

.....and he ran the wrong route..lol

 

The Falcons had to run-the-ball well and more often inside in order to deceive The Vikings defense near the goal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Cooks no joke, but they also had dang good field position several times during the game especially after the Freeman fumble and the Neal PI. 

We'll clean it up

Yes, the Vikings had good field position several times, but that doesn't excuse the defense getting owned. Guys not keep containment and letting the Vikings run outside several times all game. You look at the way the Falcons defense played the outside runs versus the way the Vikings played the outside runs and one team was disciplined and well coached and the other was not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Jake Matthews played like **** today dude. No way to sugar coat it. He's supposed to be our 2nd best offensive lineman and right off the opening snap of the game he allows a sack and it never got any better.

That first sack was a miscommunication more than anything else.

The VERY late movement upfront had confussion going.

He was anchoring to the outside alot today...so I wonder if he was expecting inside help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question going all the way back to the KeKe hit on Cousins, how do the rules justify those kind of "incompletions" as not being intentional grounding.  If the QB is in the pocket, the ball doesn't travel past the LoS, no receiver in the vicinity and it wasn't tipped... do the rules have a specific exemption for the QB being hit while in the throwing motion?

Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

This team needs more reps not less.

Yeah. I hate preseason, but they might just have to play a little more during it to get better in-sync when Game 1 starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Ugh. A double whammy. I was watching that game. UT had that thing won!

We've had a bad month, so this one didn't even bother me. I had to laugh at the backbreaker play, though. We were in a prevent defense, yet they had two different receivers wide open. It looks like Pruitt can't run a defense unless it's all five-star recruits.

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.