Sun Tzu 7

AB Released, any NFC South team dumb enough to try it?

274 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Peyton Manning's offenses

Well, you would know that best, since they were yours.  heheh.  

makes sense that the pats would try to win off knowledge, practice, timing, etc, things they can control because of the lack of perceived talent compared to other WR corps.  could change if they get AB.

i would not be surprised to see the pats pick up ortiz simply for the avocado connection.  

16 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’m not sure learning the playbook is so much the issue. The Earhart/Perkins is actually relatively simple to learn. We ran something similar with Mularkey. There are really a “few” concepts it’s built around but they run those concepts from every formation imaginable so it all looks different.

Thats “easy” to learn. Even the verbiage is simple (IMO) but where NE is unique is the way they expect their receivers to read coverage and adjust in the middle of the play. That’s the part I just don’t know.

It’s definitely conceivable he could get in there and grind away and look like something by mid-season, but who knows where his head is right now? I mean, Ben constantly threw him under the bus for his route running (even though I think Ben was full of sh** in a few instances) so... idk.

I almost want it to happen just so I can see how it plays out.:ninja:

Agreed.

Football I.Q. isn't his issue, he’s mentally not in a good place right now for any team. 

16 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Oh Man, the door is now wide open for the Pats

After the stunt he pulled livestreaming the Steelers locker room and threatening to punch the Oakland GM, I don't think even Belichick would bother.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

25 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

Gonna take a lot more than a year. Dudes been a wack job from the start. Tomlin just kept it hidden.

Could be, but I also think Tomlin was also part of the problem. 

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

3 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Well, you would know that best, since they were yours.  heheh.  

makes sense that the pats would try to win off knowledge, practice, timing, etc, things they can control because of the lack of perceived talent compared to other WR corps.  could change if they get AB.

i would not be surprised to see the pats pick up ortiz simply for the avocado connection.  

:lol: well played, sir... well played.

And yeah, this is exactly how they've constantly been able to take receivers no one would ever be impressed with and get production out of them.

I always thought it was the equivalent of Shanahan's zone scheme; how he was always able to take running backs you've never heard of and churn out 1,000 rushers.  If you can teach a guy the reads, he can get yards for you.  

The premium is on a player being able to process information more than sheer physical talent.

Vandy, Schwarzwald and VTCrunkler like this

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Could be, but I also think Tomlin was part of the problem. 

He kept it under wraps but he didnt help AB any by letting him just keep going crazy. 

Vandy likes this

Now that I think about it...the Cowboys might be the only team I can see AB working with.  Would be an interesting duo with him and cooper.  Plus Jerry loves characters.  

Vandy likes this

3 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

He kept it under wraps but he didnt help AB any by letting him just keep going crazy. 

I think Tomlin’s biggest mistake was not getting rid of Brown sooner honestly. He was right to side with his QB. This is a QB driven game. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

I would be shocked if Belichick brought AB into that organization.

AB has already said that he's bigger than the team. The system must conform to him.

Belichick benched Malcolm Butler in the super bowl. He is a no nonsense guy and AB will try him.

Edited by FinalScore2.0

Just now, TD_Lover said:

True.

My experience is you’ve got to nip that kind of behavior in the bud early. I don’t run a football team but I doubt it’s that’s much different from running any business.

Tomlin let the inmates rule the asylum as long as they were winning and then tried to reel them back in when they started losing. Which was too late. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Could be, but I also think Tomlin was also part of the problem. 

I don't know man, I think AB showed how much of a circus he can cause in Oakland. Yeah, he was always a diva but never this bad in Pittsburgh. Maybe Tomlin knew how to deal with him better? And at least AB had the respect to not post their private convos on social media.

Tomlin either enabled him by pandering to him and keeping it under wraps, or he's an A+ communicator that kept AB from exploding all those years. Or AB let the money get to his head.

honestly, who knows. But Tomlin won in the end lol.

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

True.

My experience is you’ve got to nip that kind of behavior in the bud early. I don’t run a football team but I doubt it’s that’s much different from running any business.

Tomlin let the inmates rule the asylum as long as they were winning and then tried to reel them back in when they started losing. Which was too late. 

I think it was more Bell and Brown jealous of the freedom Big Ben got and they became rebellious in the process. That’s hard as heII to manage for any leader

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think Tomlin’s biggest mistake was not getting rid of Brown sooner honestly. He was right to side with his QB. This is a QB driven game. 

I disagree, Ben wasn’t clean in any of that drama either. Tomlin should have dealt with him as well. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

True.

A lot of people also accused Pete Carroll of this in Seattle.

Vandy likes this

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

True.

Yeah thats the thing. In sports - especially the NFL, AB type of behavior is tolerated as long as the team is winning, but the minute the drama outweighs the production your gone. Some players - great ones like AB have much longer leashes than others. 

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think it was more Bell and Brown jealous of the freedom Big Ben got and they became rebellious in the process. That’s hard as heII to manage for any leader

It is hard, but it’s also why he’s paid the big bucks.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

2 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I don't know man, I think AB showed how much of a circus he can cause in Oakland. Yeah, he was always a diva but never this bad in Pittsburgh. Maybe Tomlin knew how to deal with him better? And at least AB had the respect to not post their private convos on social media.

Tomlin either enabled him by pandering to him and keeping it under wraps, or he's an A+ communicator that kept AB from exploding all those years. Or AB let the money get to his head.

honestly, who knows. But Tomlin won in the end lol.

Mortensen was interviewed on espn and said that Steelers officials had told him that 90% of AB’s actions and antics were kept under wraps.  I can believe it.  This kind of behavior doesn’t come out of the blue. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

True.

I love me some Mike Tomlin, and I don't like to speculate in matters like this because none of us knows what he did or didn't try to do behind the scenes through all these years, but AB was a 6th round pick, so it's not like he came through the door with a sense of entitlement right off the bat.  He had to grow into this diva.  Mike shoulda slapped him around at the first sign.

And maybe he did, and AB is such a head case, it didn't do any good, but after seeing some of the ways I've seen that organization coddle Roethisberger, I can absolutely believe he was enabled.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

It is hard, but it’s also why he’s paid the big bucks.

I think it just speaks volumes to Matt. He is very underrated in terms of leadership. Every player has always spoken very highly of him and he’s had arguably more stars and egos around him than Big Ben has. 

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I love me some Mike Tomlin, and I don't like to speculate in matters like this because none of us knows what he did or didn't try to do behind the scenes through all these years, but AB was a 6th round pick, so it's not like he came through the door with a sense of entitlement right off the bat.  He had to grow into this diva.  Mike shoulda slapped him around at the first sign.

And maybe he did, and AB is such a head case, it didn't do any good, but after seeing some of the ways I've seen that organization coddle Roethisberger, I can absolutely believe he was enabled.

I have no doubt on that PMF. 

Tomlin is known as a new-age player’s coach. BB runs you out of town at 1st sign of self-above-team dysfunction. 

I’m kinda old school thinking on that as well. As big a fan as i’ll Always be of Roddy, and even though he was a declining player which made it easier, I really respect how DQ/team handled his feud with Shanny. 

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think it just speaks volumes to Matt. He is very underrated in terms of leadership. Every player has always spoken very highly of him and he’s had arguably more stars and egos around him than Big Ben has. 

Great point JD. 

JD dirtybird21 likes this