Carter

Murray State vs #3 Georgia

179 posts in this topic

I agree with the announcers.  FBS power 5 teams need to get off these cupcake games.  I watched maybe 15 plays of this Georgia beat down because its not interesting one bit.  

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I agree with the announcers.  FBS power 5 teams need to get off these cupcake games.  I watched maybe 15 plays of this Georgia beat down because its not interesting one bit.  

I hate cupcake games. Always have. It's really a waste of time.

There is zero incentive to not schedule them though and a lot of these smaller schools rely on the money they get from playing these games to fund their athletics department budget. So I don't see it ever changing.

Spts1 likes this

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

I hate cupcake games. Always have. It's really a waste of time.

There is zero incentive to not schedule them though and a lot of these smaller schools rely on the money they get from playing these games to fund their athletics department budget. So I don't see it ever changing.

You are correct.  There is really no way around playing the games.  Even if say Georgia cuts back and plays just one cupcake game.  That punishes financially the schools who could use the money.  The only solution, which would never happen, would be to cut scholarships in half from FBS schools and FORCE some of the talent down to the lower tiered divisions.

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

You are correct.  There is really no way around playing the games.  Even if say Georgia cuts back and plays just one cupcake game.  That punishes financially the schools who could use the money.  The only solution, which would never happen, would be to cut scholarships in half from FBS schools and FORCE some of the talent down to the lower tiered divisions.

That's not a solution. It's not even a good idea. A far more feasible option would be some sort of revenue sharing model from the tv contracts. The current ESPN contract with the SEC alone, for football and basketball, is worth more than $2 billion.

8 minutes ago, Carter said:

That's not a solution. It's not even a good idea. A far more feasible option would be some sort of revenue sharing model from the tv contracts. The current ESPN contract with the SEC alone, for football and basketball, is worth more than $2 billion.

Thats highlighting the fundamental problem of college sports. There is NOTHING amateur about it, thus the power schools cannot be forced to share revenue and have no incentive to do so.   Notre Dame is the prime example of this.  They pick and choose what conference to be in across different sports and remain independent when it suits them.  The NCAA is a front, has no real power over the schools.  

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Say what?  It’s still early in the season.  I could watch them play Dooley County’s middle school team for all 60 minutes.

goodness i am exhausted.. hot as hades today..  man that 2nd quarter explosion was awesome!!!  lot of young guys played a ton.. 

8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

goodness i am exhausted.. hot as hades today..  man that 2nd quarter explosion was awesome!!!  lot of young guys played a ton.. 

I wasn't able to watch it, but how did K McIntosh and  D Blaylock look?  

17 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I wasn't able to watch it, but how did K McIntosh and  D Blaylock look?  

I thought they both looked good.  McIntosh runs hard and Blaylock is slippery.

sdogg likes this