NCVIKE

Greetings, Falcons Fans!

42 posts in this topic

Sorry this is in the wrong forum for discussing the upcoming season-opening Atlanta vs Minnesota game. I just joined this site today, but after all the usual registration crap, I was unable to select the Falcons Forum to create a new post. Strange. Anyway, I was able to post on Around the NFL, so here I am!

At any rate, I wanted to get some feedback from true Falcons fans instead of the usual national jackasses. Not only about Sunday's match-up, but your team in general. (I'm a Vikings fan from the Bronx, currently living in the Charlotte area.....yeah, I know, WTF, right?)

Many Vikings fans seem to think Sunday is a "given" win. I understand the whole  home-field advantage and all, but, being a pragmatic Vikings fan/sufferer since the late '60's (and witness to the '98 NFCC game) , I'm NEVER confident about a victory. 

Since I have been living in the Charlotte area for the last 15 years, I have been more aware of the Falcons due to their divisional rivalry with the Panthers, but I confess I'm not overly familiar with the front office and the team philosophy, structure, etc.

Just looking for some honest feedback, I'm not trolling at all. Here's what I would like to know about your team (and please feel free to ask me about the Vikings in return, although I don't claim to have any credentials other than 50+ years of tears!)

1) I was a big Matt Ryan fan when he cam out of BC. I realize he has a MVP and SB appearance, but whenever I see him, there just seems to be something missing for me to put him in the "elite" QB category. Not sure what it is, but he doesn't seem to have "it". (I say the same about Cam Newton). Curious about  Falcons fans' thoughts. What's up with Matty?

2) I know NOTHING about Atlanta's defense. The Viking's have been broadcasting Kubiak's "zone run scheme", whatever the **** THAT means. How's your front 7? Big? Fast? Athletic? Stout? Versatile? Good against the run? Pass rush? Adjustments? 

3) Quinn : HC's usually get a 4-5 year buffer after a SB WIN, not sure about HC's coming off a SB loss, especially a BAD one (not trying to put salt n the wound, but that was bad). Is he on the hot seat? What about your OC and DC? Confidence? Unknown? 

Thanks for any feedback. Hope it's a good game with no major injuries for either side.

PEACE

Edited by NCVIKE

Yeah bro. The same crap happened to me. Why can i start a post on the falcons forum page??? But i can start a post on the around the NFL? I recently just joined to. Man i am thinking about getting rid of my account. Go check out my article and tell me what you think. I'm so glad someone else noticed the falcons forum is invalid... Smh stuck with posting around the nfl...

NCVIKE likes this

OK. That's an interesting requirement for a fan board, IMHO, but I do appreciate your accommodation in this instance. Just looking for some non-purple shaded insight! 

Thank you, sir!

vitaman likes this

First off: the Falcons-Vikings bromance that is in full bloom on reddit and other social media is amazingly awesome and hilarious. We take out the Pack and you guys take out the saints. FTS and FTP.

Ill be at the game this Sunday, brother is a Vikings fan, and I’m really excited for it. I think the two teams match up well and don’t think it’ll be easy either way.

Falcons defense is healthy and that is huge. The defense flys under the radar but they are definitely built for speed and to swarm the ball. Our DL looked sharp all preseason so I’m looking forward to seeing them in game. We have a little worry spot with Oliver as our number two CB going into his second season. I’m sure the vikes will test him early.

Offense, looks like we are starting both 1st round rookies at RT and RG so I’m sure that will be tested as well. Im slightly worried about their conditioning as we move into the later stages of the game. Outside of that, we have all our talent healthy and back. We have a more competent OC who produced one of Matt Ryan’s best years. Now he has a more polished and seasoned Ice so I’m interested to see how Ryan does. This offense should be just as aggressive as ever. 

Some people around here think Julio might not play due to his contract not being done but it seems as though he will play with or without the new contract. 

Should be a good game. I have a feeling Kirk may take a step in year two and I’m interested to see how our new ol does against your pass rush. Also want to see if we can get the pressure on Kirk and how Our secondary plays against your WRs (kind of want diggs to sit but wouldn’t mind seeing them at full strength)

these are just my thoughts and opinions. I’m only one fan but think it’ll be a great game

Edited by WisFalcon

18 minutes ago, WisFalcon said:

First off: the Falcons-Vikings bromance that is in full bloom on reddit and other social media is amazingly awesome and hilarious. We take out the Pack and you guys take out the saints. FTS and FTP.

Ill be at the game this Sunday, brother is a Vikings fan, and I’m really excited for it. I think the two teams match up well and don’t think it’ll be easy either way.

Falcons defense is healthy and that is huge. The defense flys under the radar but they are definitely built for speed and to swarm the ball. Our DL looked sharp all preseason so I’m looking forward to seeing them in game. We have a little worry spot with Oliver as our number two CB going into his second season. I’m sure the vikes will test him early.

Offense, looks like we are starting both 1st round rookies at RT and RG so I’m sure that will be tested as well. Im slightly worried about their conditioning as we move into the later stages of the game. Outside of that, we have all our talent healthy and back. We have a more competent OC who produced one of Matt Ryan’s best years. Now he has a more polished and seasoned Ice so I’m interested to see how Ryan does. This offense should be just as aggressive as ever. 

Some people around here think Julio might not play due to his contract not being done but it seems as though he will play with or without the new contract. 

Should be a good game. I have a feeling Kirk may take a step in year two and I’m interested to see how our new ol does against your pass rush. Also want to see if we can get the pressure on Kirk and how Our secondary plays against your WRs (kind of want diggs to sit but wouldn’t mind seeing them at full strength)

these are just my thoughts and opinions. I’m only one fan but think it’ll be a great game

Thanks for your feedback. Good stuff and much appreciated.

And, btw, I am totally jealous that you're going to be at the game! I haven't been to the new stadium yet, but from what I've heard it is amazing. And good, decent fans, too....you don't need to fear about anything other than good-natured ribbing.

I heard Diggs is questionable, but if I were a Falcons fan, I'd worry more about D. Cook coming out if the backfield. I think I read some stat about Atl being the worst D against RB passing yards the last 4 seasons or so. If true, that plays right into dinky-dunky Cousins' hands. 

Hope you have a great time....but not as great as your brother!! :D

6 hours ago, NCVIKE said:

1) I was a big Matt Ryan fan when he cam out of BC. I realize he has a MVP and SB appearance, but whenever I see him, there just seems to be something missing for me to put him in the "elite" QB category. Not sure what it is, but he doesn't seem to have "it". (I say the same about Cam Newton). Curious about  Falcons fans' thoughts. What's up with Matty?

2) I know NOTHING about Atlanta's defense. The Viking's have been broadcasting Kubiak's "zone run scheme", whatever the **** THAT means. How's your front 7? Big? Fast? Athletic? Stout? Versatile? Good against the run? Pass rush? Adjustments? 

3) Quinn : HC's usually get a 4-5 year buffer after a SB WIN, not sure about HC's coming off a SB loss, especially a BAD one (not trying to put salt n the wound, but that was bad). Is he on the hot seat? What about your OC and DC? Confidence? Unknown?

1) Ryan has definitely got "it". He is tough as nails and certainly should be considered elite. He belongs in the conversation with Brady, Brees and Rogers, but won't get there unless he wins a ring. Even if he doesn't, he could end up in the Hall with non-ringers like Marino, Moon, Kelly and Tarkenton. He seems to improve on something every year and this year it may be his pocket presence which looked sharper in the preseason games. He bails going forward now while keeping his eyes downfield. His biggest weakness is probably still the deep ball which he tends to float, but if he takes some air out of it like he did in 2016, he could have another MVP season. He is capable of shredding a defense but has struggled with MIN.

2.) The biggest takeaway on our defense this year is Dan Quinn is now the DC and play caller. He was one of the best DCs in the league when he was in SEA and the few times he took that role here, the defense balled. This year he has even run some 3-4 base sets which I love because I prefer a 3-4 over a 4-3. If he does that we can field the fastest set of LBs in league in Debo, Grace, Campbell and Oluokon. They can all run and cover. The DLine is not big but it is fast as well. The rotation is much deeper after adding guys like Bailey, Clayborn, Cominsky and Davison, who looks stouter than he was in NO. The secondary is solid but Oliver is a second year RCB who's still having play recognition issues. He may be the weak link.

3.) Our owner Arthur Blank is 76 years old, coming off two cancer scares and approaching a couple of cap challenging seasons. His soccer team has won three championships in the last nine months and the other local pro teams look to be poised to bypass his football franchise. I believe he has put the gauntlet down this year. Buddy just fired his third wife so yeah, Quinn, Thomas Dimitroff the GM, all the coordinators, the coaching staff and several players are probably on the hot seat. I believe it's playoffs or bust in 2019, but very well could be Lombardi or bust. His sense of urgency is on ten and you can see that throughout the front office and coaching staff. I fully expect to see it in the players on the field tomorrow afternoon.

If you're looking for weaknesses to attack try RCB, LG, RT and RG. All are primed for giving up plays.

4 hours ago, NCVIKE said:

I heard Diggs is questionable, but if I were a Falcons fan, I'd worry more about D. Cook coming out if the backfield. I think I read some stat about Atl being the worst D against RB passing yards the last 4 seasons or so. If true, that plays right into dinky-dunky Cousins' hands. 

I had written a whole analysis on this subject but lost in on clicking a link :(

I'd suggest you read up on our linebacker core, specifically Deion Jones. He is arguably the top cover LB in the NFL, with a lot of (deserved) freedom. Peter King did a good video on his ability to recognize plays and react instantly. He will probably be charged with covering Cook out of the backfield. Our second linebacker, Campbell, excels at covering TE's while our third linebacker, Foye Oluokun, was a big bright spot on our defense last year. Big, smart, and unreasonably fast for a man of his size. This makes for arguably the top cover LB core in the NFL. 

We do have one weakness and one big question mark regarding our front 7:

They are not stout against big, overpowering offensive lines. We rely on speed and athleticism. Cook is a great RB, but he will have a lot of work to do in the backfield if that isn't your OL profile. 

Our pass rush is a question mark. We have the talent to be very disruptive, especially from the DT spots with Jarrett and Crawford. Our DEs have been lights out this preseason, so they may finally be what we expected when we drafted them. We don't know yet.. 

Our secondary is stout (CB1, FS, SS, NB) and all mentioned are probowl caliber. Our CB2 is a relative unknown to us. 2nd round pick last year, flashed but also had his issues as a rookie. 

Our defense is built essentially to force opposing offenses to earn every yard. We won't let you go down field, and will force you to convert on 3rd down all the way to the end zone. If you are in a 3rd and long situation, watch out (in particular, Kazee our NB is a ball hawk) ... 

Our offense is a known quantity except for our rookie right side. I won't get into details there, but Matt Ryan is definitely elite. If our investments in the OL pan out like it did for the Colts last year, it is (definitely) the best offense in the NFL. 

Here's to a great game! It is one of the better match-ups of the week :)

Any team that contributes to the Saints playoff misery is OK in my book. 

My biggest concern about this match up is how quickly can an oline with so many new parts gel, especially against a front like the Vikings.

Here's to a good, hard fought, and injury free game.

Nothing wrong w Matty at all, just he doesn’t get nearly the respect he deserves. There really isn’t a weakness to his game generally speaking. Some argue the deep ball, but statistics say otherwise.

Falcons new (and much improved) OL vs your DL is the big question.

Talent at the skill positions is second to none here. Obviously Julio, but the total WR depth is tops (or **** near close to it) Freeman was All Pro his last healthy season, and Hooper is a pro bowl TE.

i am also very impressed by our upgraded defense w Quinn taking over and not having half the starters on IR. But it was preseason so we shall see how it carries over. Definitely wouldn’t sleep on this D though.

overall the 7-9 record last year is because literally 25% of the starters were on IR or missed significant time, including 2 starting OG, Deion Jones, Keanu Neal, Grady Jarrett, Rico allen, etc.

some young guys got great experience and are just nice depth now, including last years co-INT leader Kazee who is back to his natural spot at NB (played FS) and Foye O. who looked great as a late round rookie at OLB. Plus it moves Campbell back to OLB where he is generally an eraser against TEs.

should be a very interesting game based on matchups. Biggest concerns for us are uncertainty at CB and at OL, though both look improved from last season.

heres to a healthy game and a Falcons win. (From a Falcons fan up in PA...same “WTF” as you get! :tiphat:

Oh, and Fox can eat a D for calling Cowboys-Giants “America’s Game of the Week”

PokerSteve, Tim Mazetti and NCVIKE like this

With the RB numbers coming out of the backfield, keep in mind they are slightly inflated with facing Kamara and McCaffrey twice a year.

NCVIKE likes this

9 hours ago, NCVIKE said:

Sorry this is in the wrong forum for discussing the upcoming season-opening Atlanta vs Minnesota game. I just joined this site today, but after all the usual registration crap, I was unable to select the Falcons Forum to create a new post. Strange. Anyway, I was able to post on Around the NFL, so here I am!

At any rate, I wanted to get some feedback from true Falcons fans instead of the usual national jackasses. Not only about Sunday's match-up, but your team in general. (I'm a Vikings fan from the Bronx, currently living in the Charlotte area.....yeah, I know, WTF, right?)

Many Vikings fans seem to think Sunday is a "given" win. I understand the whole  home-field advantage and all, but, being a pragmatic Vikings fan/sufferer since the late '60's (and witness to the '98 NFCC game) , I'm NEVER confident about a victory. 

Since I have been living in the Charlotte area for the last 15 years, I have been more aware of the Falcons due to their divisional rivalry with the Panthers, but I confess I'm not overly familiar with the front office and the team philosophy, structure, etc.

Just looking for some honest feedback, I'm not trolling at all. Here's what I would like to know about your team (and please feel free to ask me about the Vikings in return, although I don't claim to have any credentials other than 50+ years of tears!)

Thanks for any feedback. Hope it's a good game with no major injuries for either side.

PEACE

I'm a huge falcons fan I do pull for the vikings too.. my very first jersey was a vikings (moss) Jersey my dad got me since then I pulled for them.... wasnt enough to pull me from the Falcons!

Matt Ryan is elite!! The thing you say you see he is "missing something" that's a oline that can block.. now he makes up for that with receivers that can get open. Lol

But I'll say this position versus position we are very close.

Falcons.               Even.              Vikings.  

QB.                         TE.                     OL.   

WR.                          FB                    RB

DT.                            FS                    DE

LB.                            SS                    CB

This is how I see it but this is my opinion.. depending on health and as the year goes on some of this can change.. this game to me is a 50/50 for me when it comes to who gets the win. 

This is just my opinion 

NCVIKE and vitaman like this

8 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

@NCVIKE, @ATLPhil

There’s a requirement of 100 posts needed before you’re allowed to make a thread in TATF. You can still post in TATF though. 

Ill move this one for you guys as this thread looks fine. Welcome!

For many there should be a 10k post limit, but that is neither here nor there...another day.

JD dirtybird21 and egoprime II like this

9 hours ago, NCVIKE said:

PEACE

1. Ice is elite that is no longer in doubt.

2. We have injured players back on D' this season with some upgrades. Quinn has taken over play calling which is a good thing. When this D' was healthy two seasons ago they were in the top 10. I see a repeat of that and expectations are high. 

3. We can talk about are SB 9 ways to Sunday. There was many mistakes made late in the 3rd and 4th quarters. We gave that game away no doubt. That was in 16', the Falcons came back in 17' beat the Rams n the playoffs and failed against the eventual SB winning Eagles in the divisional round. In 18' the team was decimated by injuries on both sides of the ball exposing our weak backups. The team has adressed those issues and we look solid. I don't think Quinn is in trouble unless the Falcons completely fail this season on what is expected to be a playoff season.

NCVIKE, Peteshweddy and PokerSteve like this

8 hours ago, NCVIKE said:

PEACE

Good to hear from another longtime football fan especially from the opposing team.  I have been watching the Falcons off and on since 1977 so I think I can help satisfy your curiosity, ok.  BTW you have gotten some excellent responses so far.....

Ok, so your Vikes have home field advantage.  The Falcons counter that by being a team full of veterans all of whom are in their prime.   Our RG and RT are rookies, but they are also two of the best players to come out of the draft.  I think they can handle the run blocking part.   As far as pass pro.....even with two rookies our O line is much improved over last season.  Matt Ryan managed to throw for Pro Bowl MVP caliber numbers despite being sacked 42 times and being hit a staggering 150 plus times.  Ryan knows when to get rid of the ball and what to do to counter the weaknesses on his own team's O line.

Ryan has the "it" you are talking about.  He has shown it before.   Thing is Ryan does not use the "it" factor as much anymore because he doesn't need to.   Ryan's passing is deadly accurate.   You won't see him throw many INTs nor will he fumble the ball much.  Ryan has three premium WRs and a Pro Bowl TE to throw to.... another reason his stats looked so good last season despite all the sacks and hits.

Our D is different than what we finished the season with.  Our safeties were both out last year. Our MLB missed most the season, our D line was undermanned and underperformed somewhat.   All our injured guys are back and looking string.  Our FO found us some solid reinforcements for the D line.   We have two DL who are good against the run and pass.... the rest are good at one thing, capable in the other.   The real difference is going to be Dan Quinn as our Def Coord.   Our players just seem to play better when DQ is coaching them. Twice now when DQ took over, the Falcons started winning.  Last three games of last season, 3-0.....in 2016 we went 6-1, the Super Bowl being the loss.

The Falcons have undeniably gotten better from last season.  Our coaches are all vets who have seen some NFL success.  Our FO dedicated itself to getting bigger stronger and just plain nastier in the trenches.  I think they succeeded.

My take on the Vikings goes like this….your team is going over to outside ZBS out of two TE alignments.   The Falcons ran that same style rungame offense for the last four years.   Quinn decided to scrap it and go more smash mouth with bigger stronger O linemen.   So the Falcons know how to defend ZBS outside running already.  The Falcons have enough speed on defense to get outside.... plus I think our D line is more talented than the Vikes O line, which looks seriously undermanned to me.   The Vikes will have a harder time deaing with our D, than our offense will have dealing with the Vikes D.

The Vikes have some serious talent on D, but you are going to miss DT Richardson and your former starting SS.  Us Falcons fans saw what happened last season when the middle of our D was undermanned....it wasn't pretty.  

The outcome of this game is going to be decided on who can run the ball better.  The quality (or lack thereof) of your O line may be ok for running the ball somewhat, but the Falcons more physical run game matches up better against the Vikes' D.  If the Falcons get ahead in points.... and I think they will.... Cousins will eventually be forced to throw more.  With the Vikes O line that spells trouble for Cousins.

I think the Falcons win by two scores.

I been harping this point all week, but I will harp again, IMO the falcons dline will feast against the vikes oline, which consists of a rookie center, a new guy at rg, and meh at the other oline spots. They are just now learning the zone blocking scheme, and none of them are over 300 pounds.

I dont think they will be able to run the ball on us as penetration kills zone running plays, and judging from the preseason, the dline balled out. I dont think they can block us up.

•  

9 minutes ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

I been harping this point all week, but I will harp again, IMO the falcons dline will feast against the vikes oline, which consists of a rookie center, a new guy at rg, and meh at the other oline spots. They are just now learning the zone blocking scheme, and none of them are over 300 pounds.

I dont think they will be able to run the ball on us as penetration kills zone running plays, and judging from the preseason, the dline balled out. I dont think they can block us up.

•  

Plus ZBS style run blockers do not do as well in pass pro.

Strange isn't it.... the Vikes are headed towards using the same style run blocking that the Falcons are running away from....

PokerSteve and NCVIKE like this

Interesting a Vike fan in NC. Before Carolina had the Panties, many NC fans pulled for the birds!!! 

On another note, I live 50 miles from New Orleans (raised and grew up in Atlanta, spent most of my life in Atl) it’s hard being a Falcons fan here!!! I work in MS. A co worker is a diehard Vikings fan and not a Taints fan, which is refreshing. Yes, we have money on tomorrow’s game.

The Vikings are getting props as favorites, but I am not seeing it all. Everyone else has described our staff so need for me to add.

Vikings are going to take a whipping!

Otherwise, thanks being civil OP!! Saints fans usually aren’t! 

NCVIKE likes this

Just now, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

The key to this whole game is Vikings Defensive front vs. Atlanta's O-line. Whichever team wins this battle, wins the game!!

Can’t find fault In this whatsoever!

Rather than flood thread with individual replies, I'll offer up one big group "Thank you!". Good stuff from the fans who follow the team daily. I appreciate the info.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to rip on Ryan. I suppose that my opinion of him comes from a relatively small sample size, and the Falcons seem to lose more often than not when I see them. I appreciate everyone's insight.

I'm really looking forward to this one, not only because it's game one, but I think it's a good match up between 2 fairly evenly matched teams. If I were betting, I'd probably lean towards the home team, maybe a 24-21 final. 

Enjoy the game and I hope both teams come out with no major injuries.

Thanks again for the civil discourse. I'll check back in after the game regardless of the outcome. Good luck the rest of the season (after tomorrow, of course!), especially against those **** Saints......Lord I can't stand looking at Payton!

SKOL, y'all!