Depth Chart Observations

slider

5 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

For fantasy purposes, I have freeman but for some reason I feel like Brian Hill will be the better handcuff than Ito Smith...or is that just me?  Thoughts?

No way. Ito Smith is firmly #2 Hill is only a good handcuff if Ito Smith is not available. He will get some touches in the event Free goes down but not as many as Ito.

Edited by Dr Long Shot

I'm so excited about our roster this year and us hiring experienced Coaches. I applaud the FO for making moves and not just sitting on their hands. I think we learned something from last year with that "We're good as we are." nonsense and claiming "Next man up." When we really didn't have a next man. IF injuries don't slice through us we are going to surprise some NFL people. This is just MY personal opinion but I think TBJ and Shede could  really helped us in a brutal NFL 16 GAME season. But that just how I feel maybe not how the FO feels. We may still get both of them on our 53, strange things happen. But either way I think we are going to rise!

56 minutes ago, slider said:

Sambraillo listed as Jake's backup at LT.

Gono and McGary as 1A and 1B at RT. ( I suspect Gono gets game #1)

Barner listed as RB3.Hill at RB4 and Ollison RB5.

Defense as expected.

Look at the speed at LB. (1st team Jones/Campbell, 2nd team Grace/Oluokon with Riley as backup.)

This right here is a major mistake. Lawd help us if Jake has to come out of the game.  Happy to see Grace get his due, but I'd rather see him on the field with Debo than as his backup.

59 minutes ago, slider said:

Sambraillo listed as Jake's backup at LT.

Gono and McGary as 1A and 1B at RT. ( I suspect Gono gets game #1)

Barner listed as RB3.Hill at RB4 and Ollison RB5.

Defense as expected.

Look at the speed at LB. (1st team Jones/Campbell, 2nd team Grace/Oluokon with Riley as backup.)

I'm thinking Gono and McGary rotate during the game until McGary is ready for a full game and then it's all him...

3 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I'm so excited about our roster this year and us hiring experienced Coaches. I applaud the FO for making moves and not just sitting on their hands. I think we learned something from last year with that "We're good as we are." nonsense and claiming "Next man up." When we really didn't have a next man. IF injuries don't slice through us we are going to surprise some NFL people. This is just MY personal opinion but I think TBJ and Shede could  really helped us in a brutal NFL 16 GAME season. But that just how I feel maybe not how the FO feels. We may still get both of them on our 53, strange things happen. But either way I think we are going to rise!

1st quarter of the season will test the character of this team. I think we'll have an idea what we have after wk 4. Some of these guys may look a bit different to us around that time.

4 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Gono would probably go over there. 

I know it's popular to be on the Gono train but we still have to see how he deals with game action. There were a couple of times during preseason that I had a Lamar Holmes kind of chill come over me while watching Gono try to chase down a wide angle speed rushing DE. May be a bit slow footed for LT. I'm not praising Sambraillo here mind you but at least he has experience at not being able to catch wide angle speed rushers! :huh:

2 hours ago, capologist said:

I'm thinking Gono and McGary rotate during the game until McGary is ready for a full game and then it's all him...

If Gono can go; showed up limited (back) today, I think they rotate them by Quarter or try to go with Gono as long as possible and then bring in McGary for closing the game when we want to run our 4 minute run clock out drives for 2nd half. :tiphat:

4 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

This right here is a major mistake. Lawd help us if Jake has to come out of the game.  Happy to see Grace get his due, but I'd rather see him on the field with Debo than as his backup.

Im guessing we will see Grace and Jones on the field together in NASCAR packages.

30 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

You’d almost feel comfortable playing these guys in the nickel there’s just so much speed there.

If our defensive front balls our backend and LBers are going to feast.

Its not just speed...Grace's natural coverage instincts are through the roof. What most NFL LB's(And safeties for that matter) struggle with is not trusting coaching and technique, but trusting the wrong things which leads to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Route trees are designed to cause conflict in the heads of LB's and safeties, forcing them to make tough decisions in an instant. Good route trees make the poor decision seem like the right and easy one.

Grace has shown a natural instinct with his back turned in coverage that many LB's do not ever possess. My god that pick 6 vs the jags was ungodly, even though it was called back.

Jones covers well because of his speed. Grace is not as fast, but can react much quicker.

Duke Riley is fast, but was lost in coverage.

This kids is why players with 4.3 speed lose out to guys with 4.6 speed but great natural instincts.