Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
⚡Slumerican⚡

Cap relief just in time

203 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Geneaut said:

It's stuff like this that makes me say time and time again that the cap is 'pretend'. I realize in the strictest sense it isn't, but there are so many ways to make money appear from it.

This just makes the remainder of their contracts more expensive.  You’re stealing from Peter to feed Paul.  

This makes cutting either player more difficult.  Restructuring has real consequences. And I would have thought Matthews gets restructured next year, where we really need CAP help, not this year

Vandy likes this

3 minutes ago, AgapeElement said:

Are you stupid? Have you never negotiated a contract in your life? I would NEVER enter into a contract without a portion up front. No matter what that portion is.

We are talkin about redoing a contract after it's already been signed so no I am not stupid are you moron. They already got a portion upfront that would be like signing a contract loan for a home and saying you need 10,000  down payment and then coming back 6 months later saying now we need a $20,000 payment but just in Reverse that's all I'm saying. You can manipulate the cap anyway you want

Geneaut likes this

6 minutes ago, AgapeElement said:

Are you stupid? Have you never negotiated a contract in your life? I would NEVER enter into a contract without a portion up front. No matter what that portion is.

waiting to see the replies to this :munch:

jdawg4876, Vandy and EB2124 like this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Unless TD & Co do something different than most of their contracts, Julio's new deal will save cap space.

If they are creating CAP space, Julio’s number can’t be going down

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

This just makes the remainder of their contracts more expensive.  You’re stealing from Peter to feed Paul.  

This makes cutting either player more difficult.  Restructuring has real consequences. And I would have thought Matthews gets restructured next year, where we really need CAP help, not this year

Can still cut Rico next year with ease.

jdawg4876 likes this

1 minute ago, TD_Lover said:

Can still cut Rico next year with ease.

I think Rico might be gone Sanu most likely will be gone and we got players in the back end that are coming up going into the second and 3rd years that everyone loves

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

If they are creating CAP space, Julio’s number can’t be going down

Yes, it can. Gives them the flexibility to not get the deal done before the season starts.

58 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

That is like saying that debt is pretend because a person can get a high interest pay-day loan.  

All these restructures do is kick the debt down the road and at a cost premium.  

Yeah, the cap tends to go up every year, but teams have to be careful not to "double count" it - fans certainly do.

There is no cost premium to move some of this year's salary down the road to a year with more cap. Especially in small and precise chunks. There is no interest penalty.

Look, these guys are experts in this cap in ways Casual Joe Fan will never be. I'm sure some expert at Flowery Branch has a spreadsheet with every possible permutation the Falcons can use to maximize the cap to make signings as needed. Sure, there is a point that there are no 'tricks' left to use and you are left with what you have, but I'm pretty sure we aren't anywhere close to that.

jdawg4876 and kiwifalcon like this

Just now, falconidae said:

Yes, it can. Gives them the flexibility to not get the deal done before the season starts.

I guess they could roll it over which does have benefits

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

waiting to see the replies to this :munch:

Also I have signed many contracts where there was no money changed up front. I'm in the IT field a couple months ago I did contract work where I changed out the entire cabling in a building for a set amount. I didn't take any money up front. when the work was done I got paid and then I got a Bonus cuz I completed it a week ahead of time. To take it one step further i had a septic tank problem recently and a local plumber came out to help me with it and he said he would not take any money up front because he wouldn't know even what to charge me until he dug up the ground and it could be anywhere from $500 dollars to 5000 dollars to change out all the lines in the yard and the drain field. I signed a contract with him with no money exchanging hands. so no not every contract has money exchanging hands before the work is done.

ya_boi_j likes this

18 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That's why you pick and choose what players you do it with ( I'm pretty sure we aren't at risk of cutting Jake for instance ), and you do it for small chunks.  I'm not saying it isn't without risk, but people around here act like the Cap can't be manipulated at all. 

Edited by Geneaut

2 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

Also I have signed many contracts where there was no money changed up front. I'm in the IT field a couple months ago I did contract work where I changed out the entire cabling in a building for a set amount. I didn't take any money up front. when the work was done I got paid and then I got a Bonus cuz I completed it a week ahead of time. To take it one step further i had a septic tank problem recently and a local plumber came out to help me with it and he said he would not take any money up front because he wouldn't know even what to charge me until he dug up the ground and it could be anywhere from $500 dollars to 5000 dollars to change out all the lines in the yard and the drain field. I signed a contract with him with no money exchanging hands. so no not every contract has money exchanging hands before the work is done.

This does not equal pro sports at all.

People feel the need to compare their 9-5 to a pro athlete and it's a lazy trope. It's just not how it works.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I guess they could roll it over which does have benefits

Be  mildly surprised if Julio's contract doesn't lower his cap hits the next two years. It's one of the reasons for giving him an extension.

1 minute ago, Duff_Man said:

This does not equal pro sports at all.

People feel the need to compare their 9-5 to a pro athlete and it's a lazy trope. It's just not how it works.

I don't know if you missed half the conversation but the guy said he wouldn't do any contract work without getting money up front and while it's not Sports money that IT job I did was worth over 15 grand

I am just imaging how crazy all the "NFL Insiders" are going right now to try to scoop the Julio contract story. :lol: 

This, IMHO, will be Julio's last contract and will be a masterpiece by both TD and his agent.(as much as a contract can be a thing of beauty) 

As hard as they have been working on it and the length of time and no leaks about numbers or years. Only stories from who knows where about how much this is affecting the relationship between JJ11 and the Falcons.

By 4PM today there is an announcement(if it happens I will scream I told you so and if not you will never hear from me again) thats how it works right?

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Unless TD & Co do something different than most of their contracts, Julio's new deal will save cap space.

Agree, but I could see where we try and front load JJ's contract as much as possible to save money in '22.  I believe next year is uncapped if I remember correctly due to it being the last year of the current CBA.  No telling what the new CBA will bring, probably a higher cap with more games likely added (but also more players).  The caveat is that the current advertising agreements start to expire in '21 and the current agreement with Fox and CBS have a mandatory 7% increase every year.  Not sure that is going to be in the next advertising agreement and if not that might drive TV revenue's down, which in turn will affect the cap.

Ultimately, front loading contracts to max this years cap and taking advantage of the uncapped year make sense.  Who knows what the cap will look like in '21.

2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Looking like they have agreed on a number with Julio, just making room for the deal now.. Hopefully good news! 

Sounds good, lock him up.

2 hours ago, Geneaut said:

It's stuff like this that makes me say time and time again that the cap is 'pretend'. I realize in the strictest sense it isn't, but there are so many ways to make money appear from it.

The aints manipulate the cap more then anybody and somehow always have room to sign or be in the mix for quality players.  It’s all a numbers game.

Hold up stop.

You need some cap room in case of injury and that’s point 1.

We could push maybe up to $3M of Julio’s money forward on a new deal but the restructures aren’t just Julio related.

And, I’m not gonna worry about cap years we aren’t facing yet. The time to optimize the roster around core players being secured is now before the new CBA; which likely will have players getting paid more than they are today

1) Drafting well got us here AND will keep us here.

2) Signing veterans for roster turnover gaps helps

3) Aside from those, we haven’t made a big time FA move outside the building for 2 offseason straight.

4) Dead money and making cuts while piling it higher is the main concern to look out for. Thankfully, there are a couple cuts with manageable dead money lined up for 2020 in Ty and Sanu alone.

kiwifalcon likes this

49 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

That's why you pick and choose what players you do it with ( I'm pretty sure we aren't at risk of cutting Jake for instance ), and you do it for small chunks.  I'm not saying it isn't without risk, but people around here act like the Cap can't be manipulated at all. 

We were more countering your earlier assertion that the cap was "pretend".  

Money can be moved around, but that's just like any business that has a hard budget or credit line.

1 hour ago, blutarski said:

Correct.  the ability to accelerate salary to a signing bonus is directly related to cash on hand.  There are contractual adjustments that can be made for the signing bonus, (two traunches of payments for the bonus to be made on day of signing, and 2nd traunch in 90 days) but that is all negotiated as part of the agreement.  The $$ is still allocated by designation on the agreement as Salary or bonus, and that is how it applies to cap once the agreement is agreed to by the League.

That isn't correct.  Signing bonuses and salary both count against the cap equally - the difference is how the money can be prorated.  It has nothing to do with "coming out of Blank's pocket vs the cap".