Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
⚡Slumerican⚡

Cap relief just in time

203 posts in this topic

@MikeGarafolo: As a way of creating cap room, the #Falcons converted base salary to signing bonus on the contracts for Jake Matthews and Ricardo Allen, source says, adding they’re now “just barely into positive space.” Preparing for... https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1169232865575542784/photo/1

rounz, hotlanta, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

13 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

@MikeGarafolo: As a way of creating cap room, the #Falcons converted base salary to signing bonus on the contracts for Jake Matthews and Ricardo Allen, source says, adding they’re now “just barely into positive space.” Preparing for... https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1169232865575542784/photo/1

It's stuff like this that makes me say time and time again that the cap is 'pretend'. I realize in the strictest sense it isn't, but there are so many ways to make money appear from it.

Must say that this offseason will go down as a masterpiece of GM'ing if TD gets the Julio deal done (I suspect it will happen soon).   I did not think we could reform our entire line in a single offeseason.  Who knows if this works but I absolutely cannot say they did not do everything they could.  On paper this line is good and deeper than it has been since who knows when.  We got two of our most coveted defensive players signed and got dibs on Keanu.  Throw in that despite overpaying for Beasley we still got Bryant signed and got so much other talent for cheap, you have to tip your hat.  I will b and moan if we suck this season but hard for me to not see this offeseason as one of the best TD/DQ has ever executed and this feels like the deepest team we've had since I became a certified Falcons fan in 2001.

Edited by Monolith2001

13 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Must say that this offseason will go down as a masterpiece of GM'ing if TD gets the Julio deal done (I suspect it will happen soon).   I did not think we could reform our entire line in a single offeseason.  Who knows if this works but I absolutely cannot say they did not do everything they could.  On paper this line is good and deeper than it has been since who knows when.  We got two of our most coveted defensive players signed and got dibs on Keanu.  Throw in that despite overpaying for Beasley we still got Bryant signed and got so much other talent for cheap, you have to tip your hat.  I will b and moan if we suck this season but hard for me to not see this offeseason as one of the best TD/DQ has ever executed and this feels like the deepest team we've had since I became a certified Falcons fan in 2001.

29oice.jpg.904a52996e93bd14f7589325dc02ebc6.jpg

25 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Looking like they have agreed on a number with Julio, just making room for the deal now.. Hopefully good news! 

Unless TD & Co do something different than most of their contracts, Julio's new deal will save cap space.

15 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

It's stuff like this that makes me say time and time again that the cap is 'pretend'. I realize in the strictest sense it isn't, but there are so many ways to make money appear from it.

Folks have been predicting the demise of the Saints for years and years because of their "cap hel" and it has never happend.

Teams find ways to keep players that they want to keep. Teams so call "purge" players when they have no more use for them and then they replace them with younger cheaper players. 

53 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

This is why I don't care about the cap I don't know how that is legal how can you take a base salary and change it to a bonus to keep somebody. **** I want that at my job change my salary to a bonus and then pay me more. I don't see how that's legal I'm not mad but that's why I don't get into the talk about the cap cuz to me is not real

15 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Folks have been predicting the demise of the Saints for years and years because of their "cap hel" and it has never happend.

Teams find ways to keep players that they want to keep. Teams so call "purge" players when they have no more use for them and then they replace them with younger cheaper players. 

Saints went 7-9 for 3 straight years with one of the best QBs to ever play the game in his prime. They paid for their cap manipulations.

11 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Do the signing bonuses come directly out of blanks pocket vs using cap space? Is that how these restructures save money? 

No, they are prorated over the life of the contract, so that 3 mil in salary becomes 3 mil in bonus that gets spread out over 3 years.

So, if you started with 15 mil in salary and converted 3 mil to signing bonus, you end up with 12 mil in salary and 1 mil in bonus for this year, for a cap hit of 13 mil instead of 15 mil. The next two years, you have an additional 1 mil in cap hit.

40 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

It eventually can bite you in the *** though if you don’t know what you’re doing. 

TD and his bean counters obviously do....

10 hours ago, falconidae said:

Saints went 7-9 for 3 straight years with one of the best QBs to ever play the game in his prime. They paid for their cap manipulations.

That dont necessarily have anything to do with their cap - maybe they had bad drafts, injured players, chose to pay the wrong players (Byrd), bad coordinators (Ryan), etc. There is a myriad of reasons a team can go 7-9 that dont have anything to do with their cap. The cap hel everyone predicted for them has never come to fruition. 

4 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Lol..  Speaking of biting you in the ***

Did you see the deal Zeke just got...

Jerry said **** it and fired all his bean counters on that one....

RING OF HONOR likes this

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

This is why I don't care about the cap I don't know how that is legal how can you take a base salary and change it to a bonus to kePlayer isep somebody. **** I want that at my job change my salary to a bonus and then pay me more. I don't see how that's legal I'm not mad but that's why I don't get into the talk about the cap cuz to me is not real

Player isn't getting paid any more money, he's just getting a chunk of it all at once instead of a weekly paycheck.

⚡Slumerican⚡ and Geneaut like this

9 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

That dont necessarily has anything to do with their cap - maybe they had bad drafts, injured players, chose to pay the wrong players (Byrd), bad coordinators (Ryan), etc. There is a myriad of reasons a team can go 7-9 that doent have anything to do with their cap. The cap hel everyone predicted for them has never come to fruition. 

And, part of the reason they went 7-9 those years is all the dead money they had on the books from bad contracts.

ukfalc likes this

Just now, falconidae said:

Player isn't getting paid any more money, he's just getting a chunk of it all at once instead of a weekly paycheck.

Right I get that but that should be illegal cuz you're paying for work that has not been done yet if you make 60000 a year and your boss says I'll go ahead and give you forty thousand of it without you doing the work, than someone don't quite add up but that's okay that's why I don't get in discussions about the cap bc it's somewhat imaginary

13 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

That dont necessarily has anything to do with their cap - maybe they had bad drafts, injured players, chose to pay the wrong players (Byrd), bad coordinators (Ryan), etc. There is a myriad of reasons a team can go 7-9 that doent have anything to do with their cap. The cap hel everyone predicted for them has never come to fruition. 

This is exactly right I remember that year we're like they can't sign anybody and we were actually wanting byrd on the message board. then  he signed with the saints and everybody lost their mind, of course he sucked after that but he still signed there.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this