Enough of the BS Falcons - GET THE YOUNG GUYS BACK!

ryanadonis

Ok so I am already upset we let Tevin Coleman for what ever 49ers paid and replaced him with Brian Hill and Ollison.  Tony Brooks James showed speed and moves at the RB position that the team DOES NOT have.  

I am not here to say Hill and Ollison are bad players, they are good for their roles.  Lets be honest, how many touches per game Hill and Ollison going to have?  5 if they are lucky combined?  Freeman and Ito will be taking most of the snaps, leaving 2, 220 plus pound RB's on the bench until the short yardage plays.  If they have a chance.  

Lets talk defense

Larkin got a spot on the practice squad, well deserved, even though I think he should be on the active roster.

Falcons have 0 players behind Vic Beasley.  They are hoping Takk and Clayborn can take his spot if he ever goes down.  After those 2 players, who else can play for Beasley?  We have 8 DE/DT tweeners and 1 LEO backer?

In the preseason, you saw the YOUTH in MILES and BETHUNE.  2 guys who had great size for the LEO spot and got pretty good pass rush and athleticism.  Both guys showed more heart than Beasley did all of last year, and that's a fact.

I believe Beasley can be a great player this year, but what if he goes down?  Falcons need to look at guys like Miles and Bethune as youth to build up for the future.  So what they aren't ready to start today, build up young talent like that because they have huge upside. 

How about LB Delshawn Phillips?   

Phillips made more plays and had great tackles playing next Grace all preseason.  Grace got what he deserved, but Phillips deserved more than just getting cut.  Imagine, building your roster through youth like Phillips for the future. 

Yet, Falcons keep Duke Riley around because he was a 3rd round pick and HEAVEN FORBID if the Falcons ever admit to making a mistake in drafting someone. 

There is NO reason for the Falcons to keep 5 RB's and a FB.  NONE.  

Now lets look at the actual practice squad.  Falcons keep Blake, Larkin, Harlow, Cooper, Zimmer, the DT what ever his name is, and Etling from the training camp.  Falcons go out and get Meier, Powell and Carter.

Last 3 names didn't make it on teams for the past 3 years besides Meier who is a rookie this year.  

Larkin - should be on 53

Harlow - should never see the field again

Cooper - I guess?  He was not bad

Zimmer - Is fine on PS

DT - Fine i guess

Etling - Should probably be ahead of Schaub.  

I don't usually get upset over Practice squad or 3rd and 4th string guys, but I think the Falcons are making a big mistake by not keeping guys who have been here since day 1 of training camp.  

TBJ is with the Bucs now on their practice squad.

Miles, Bethune and Phillips are not signed yet.  

Falcons do the right thing and get those guys back.  Why not build the team with incredible athletes who all have the size and ability to grow into something special for the team?  

Why stay with guys who literally show either no heart or don't have the size to compete.

Beasley had no heart last year.  Duke Riley looked like a kid playing in a mans sport.  Thank goodness we got rid of that train wreck of an O-line last year.  I think this team needs to start giving guys like I mentioned above real shots over guys who have been here and have been garbage such as Harlow.  

You have guys like TBJ, Phillips, Miles, Bethune... Thats 4 spots right there are extremely needed for depth purposes. 

Tsk tsk tsk sir! Not the Falcon-way! We will let a million talented youth go as long as we can find ONE or TWO underrated little known prospects then we are SET! Who needs youth when you've got Matt Ryan & Julio Jones! Nah, I'm joking. Low key DQ is Mike Smith 2.0 and that's just what it is lol. Luckily, will always find ways to be competitive unfortunately we will never truly dominate. It's just the embedded culture here. Embrace it! :slick:

I'll play. 

Please cut the 4 guys you want rid of to get your 4 in? Even better, if they are so vital to our success, who do you cut from the 53?

The Vic thing. You're right, there is no direct replacement for him. Do we need to call Brooks Reed, or can we accept that our depth is awesome across the line? I have no gripes with our line depth. At all. Never been more stacked dude.

I agree with you on Larkin and Etling, I'd hate to see them get picked up, but that now looks v unlikely. The FO have more stones than me, and I'm glad they do.

32 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

No worries, when the 18 game season kicks in, i'm guessing the practice squad will be extinct and you will have your wish

If they ever go to 18 games I may just quit, especially if they do it with this ******** thing with players only being allowed to play in 16 of them that's been mentioned.

14 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If they ever go to 18 games I may just quit, especially if they do it with this ******** thing with players only being allowed to play in 16 of them that's been mentioned.

I wont quit watching but I wont love it. On the flip side you get to see who the best game planners actually are around the league

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I wont quit watching but I wont love it. On the flip side you get to see who the best game planners actually are around the league

I just don't understand what the problem is, the current format has been in place since 1978. I think it works pretty **** well except for fans having to pay full price for preseason games. That's a total ripoff but the owners aren't going to cut prices on preseason games and as long as people continue to buy tickets for preseason games, well there you go. Sorry season ticket holders are SOL. But anyway, it just doesn't make any sense.

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I just don't understand what the problem is, the current format has been in place since 1978. I think it works pretty **** well except for fans having to pay full price for preseason games. That's a total ripoff but the owners aren't going to cut prices on preseason games and as long as people continue to buy tickets for preseason games, well there you go. Sorry season ticket holders are SOL. But anyway, it just doesn't make any sense.

I agree but as you know greed runs the world. If they know they can make the money, they're going to keep doing it.

I agree that Duke historically has been a significant disappointment, and I would have had no qualms with him being cut.

I also agree that there is no need for redundancy on the RB roster...and I may be wrong on this, but the team may feel that Hill is a contributor, whether its on our team or another's and may want compensation for him. And Ollison is a new, relatively high draft pick the team doesnt want to attempt to stash on the PS because they know he will not clear waivers.

SMH...Both Ito and Free are quick enough.   There aren’t a lot of blazers at RB in the league anyway.

Backup RBs gotta be able to play STs.   If you are a light/fast RB and you aren’t the starting PR/KR or the starting RB - you are rather useless.

Both Ollison & Hill can play Special Teams so they bring more value than Brooks James in that way.   If you aren’t in the top 2 RBs, you gotta bring ST value - it’s that simple.

I get the argument you're trying to make, R, but this ain't it. TBJ was a nice little find, but if anything happens, we can poach him from the Bucs PS to the active roster. RBs are a dime a dozen. I'm not losing sleep over him. 

As for Miles and Bethune, I think you're overstating their abilities. If Vic goes down, they aren't stepping in to replace them in any capacity. And for the future, I'd rather churn that position than plant my hopes on either of those guys being more than fringe roster players. They'll be back in camp, just like Tuioti-Mariner was this year. If they improve, great. But until then, it's just some young athlete. 

Also, Phillips didn't outplay Duke. Yes, Duke's had a rough go to this point in his career, but he had two straight good games. Phillips had an uphill climb to even get over Bruce Carter. 

Face it, talented rosters can't keep everybody. Talented players will be cut. Look at Christian Blake at WR. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

I get the argument you're trying to make, R, but this ain't it. TBJ was a nice little find, but if anything happens, we can poach him from the Bucs PS to the active roster. RBs are a dime a dozen. I'm not losing sleep over him. 

As for Miles and Bethune, I think you're overstating their abilities. If Vic goes down, they aren't stepping in to replace them in any capacity. And for the future, I'd rather churn that position than plant my hopes on either of those guys being more than fringe roster players. They'll be back in camp, just like Tuioti-Mariner was this year. If they improve, great. But until then, it's just some young athlete. 

Also, Phillips didn't outplay Duke. Yes, Duke's had a rough go to this point in his career, but he had two straight good games. Phillips had an uphill climb to even get over Bruce Carter. 

Face it, talented rosters can't keep everybody. Talented players will be cut. Look at Christian Blake at WR. 

giphy.gif

When Jeremiah Johnson nods, this post is in focus.

:tiphat:

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

People should look at it as if they are paying more for the regular season tickets and getting the PS for free, it's just not printed up that way...