AB Expects Julio Extension This Week

I asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank if the team is prepared for the possibility that Julio Jones’ contract extension might not get done before Sunday’s opener at Minnesota, and the possibility of Jones maybe not being on the field without a new contract: ``I’m optimistic that we’ll get something done, so I’m not going to focus on something that I consider a remote possibility,’’ Blank said of Jones missing the game. “There’s no obstacle, per se. When you’re talking about a contract for that much money over that period of time for a premier, outstanding player, it’s just very complicated. It’s not cut and dry. We just need to be thoughtful about it from our standpoint, as he does from his standpoint. He’s at a critical time in his career, and we respect that. We’re just going through a pretty normal process to get to where we need to be.’’ Blank reiterated that Jones will be taken care of as the league’s highest-paid receiver. It’s unclear how much Jones’ agent, Jimmy Sexton, is seeking, but it has to be at least $20 million per year.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

The irony. Julio’s lifetime Falcon contract is required to get us under for 2019. :tiphat:

Not good. They're obviously apart on something. Probably guaranteed money and/or term length. Back loading that to free up 2019 cap space is not optimum considering what we're headed for. If they can't strike a deal by the time the clock strikes 12 Thursday night we might have to restructure someone else. Dimi should probably call Billy one more time for some advice.

Im sure Julio is expecting to have it done before his press conference Thursday.. Falcons may be in a sqeaky tight financial bind the next few years but we'll have Julio locked up.. Here's to we better win the big one this year.. We'll probably lose alot of key players the next few years.. Not to mention having a aging Julio 

20 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Not good. They're obviously apart on something. Probably guaranteed money and/or term length. Back loading that to free up 2019 cap space is not optimum considering what we're headed for. If they can't strike a deal by the time the clock strikes 12 Thursday night we might have to restructure someone else. Dimi should probably call Billy one more time for some advice.

EBjgToQWsAAW-IR?format=jpg&name=large

13 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Im sure Julio is expecting to have it done before his press conference Thursday.. Falcons may be in a sqeaky tight financial bind the next few years but we'll have Julio locked up.. Here's to we better win the big one this year.. We'll probably lose alot of key players the next few years.. Not to mention having a aging Julio 

We just locked up the major players and only have a handful coming due that are big time as of today. Define 'key' players?

If you draft well, you can let walk the Campbells of the world to UFA or possibly Vic and gain valuable compensatory picks because you aren't relying on an overpaid FA move.

We've built primarily through the draft. Top 25% of teams with homegrown talent and only guys like Hooper and Neal coming due from the 2016 season. 2017 as of today is only showing Takk as the important guy to keep, that's a blessing in disguise actually since it buys us a year. Kazee is the only other guy from that draft we'd keep after the rookie contract is up; and we have 2 more CBs we just picked up planning for the future. We got guys studying under Stocker for his 1-2 year gap vet role.

You guys look at a good roster and have kept the MOST important players...but don't believe you can continue to draft well and layer the contracts because 2020 looks so tight?

After that we still have room to mold the roster and stage cutting guys hitting age 30 or ones that are expendable by end of 2020 if the roster development keeps churning like Tru, Free, Carp, Brown, etc.

Right now you are in the best window possible while Julio is still in his prime and Matt is yet to decline. I don't mind being up against the cap given what we know. This is the prime time for our window but not the only viable widow or competitive roster.

It's the nature of building a competitive roster and having expensive pieces come due. Keep the core, replace the rest as needed. Rinse/repeat.

Draft, get comp picks, sometimes you can splash FA but seldom necessary.

I hear some poster in particular barking at our offseason not having that 1 splash and yet here we are with a really stacked roster...despite having 2 consecutive offseason of not relying on outside big time contract.

And we complain about the short-term cap space after all the major pieces are locked up?

lol

Edited by Ergo Proxy
1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We just locked up the major players and only have a handful coming due that are big time as of today. Define 'key' players?

If you draft well, you can let walk the Campbells of the world to UFA or possibly Vic and gain valuable compensatory picks because you aren't relying on an overpaid FA move.

We've built primarily through the draft. Top 25% of teams with homegrown talent and only guys like Hooper and Neal coming due from the 2016 season. 2017 as of today is only showing Takk as the important guy to keep, that's a blessing in disguise actually since it buys us a year. Kazee is the only other guy from that draft we'd keep after the rookie contract is up; and we have 2 more CBs we just picked up planning for the future. We got guys studying under Stocker for his 1-2 year gap vet role.

You guys look at a good roster and have kept the MOST important players...but don't believe you can continue to draft well and layer the contracts because 2020 looks so tight?

After that we still have room to mold the roster and stage cutting guys hitting age 30 or ones that are exdependable by end of 2020 if the roster development keeps churning like Tru, Free, Carp, Brown, etc.

Right now you are in the best window possible while Julio is still in his prime and Matt is yet to decline.

It's the nature of building a competitive roster and having expensive pieces come due. Keep the core, replace the rest as needed. Rinse/repeat.

Draft, get comp picks, sometimes you can splash FA but seldom necessary.

I hear some poster in particular barking at our offseason not having that 1 splash and yet here we are with a really stacked roster...despite having 2 consecutive offseason of not relying on outside big time contract.

And we complain about the short-term cap space after all the major pieces are locked up?

lol

No, I do understand we can have a good roster.. But we're heading into the lands of financial hel1 and probably have the most dominant roster this season we'll see for some time.. And thats fine by me.. Im going to enjoy this season but also be aware the next few years will be tight 

Just now, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

No, I do understand we can have a good roster.. But we're heading into the lands of financial hel1 and probably have the most dominant roster this season we'll see for some time.. And thats fine by me.. Im going to enjoy this season but also be aware the next few years will be tight 

Just because things are getting tight because we keep the core in tact, doesn't mean it's **** and the team won't be good.

That's what I hear being implied.

It's true, the roster might be at it's peak today.

But, that's presuming young players stop developing and replacing solid pieces that are expendable. It's presuming the worst. You know, you could hit it the next few years in the draft and not miss a beat either. Starting this year with a ONE OFFSEASON offensive line overhaul.

It may take a few games due to McGary being out, etc but this is the deepest OL we've had in years. Possibly the entire TD era. That's just one position group. DL is next for next offseason.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Just because things are getting tight because we keep the core in tact, doesn't mean it's **** and the team won't be good.

That's what I hear being implied.

It's true, the roster might be at it's peak today.

But, that's presuming young players stop developing and replacing solid pieces that are expendable. It's presuming the worst. You know, you could hit it the next few years in the draft and not miss a beat either. Starting this year with a ONE OFFSEASON offensive line overhaul.

It may take a few games due to McGary being out, etc but this is the deepest OL we've had in years. Possibly the entire TD era. That's just one position group. DL is next for next offseason.

Looking ahead, i dont want to lose Ridley.. Replacing Mack is going to be a huge task.. We need to start looking for a slot replacement for Sanu.. Definitely need to start looking for a dominant cb to replace Tru..several key positions will meed to be addressed the next few years and thats ok.. Im going to enjoy the heck out of this season assuming we perform at the level we should ;)

23 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Looking ahead, i dont want to lose Ridley.. Replacing Mack is going to be a huge task.. We need to start looking for a slot replacement for Sanu.. Definitely need to start looking for a dominant cb to replace Tru..several key positions will meed to be addressed the next few years and thats ok.. Im going to enjoy the heck out of this season assuming we perform at the level we should ;)

That's how I see it. We've built likely our best roster; especially along the LOS, in the last 3 years.

You don't just replace Mack, but if the rest of the OL is elite or PB caliber after 2 years? It won't be the OLs of the 2013 and 2014 teams just by Mack leaving; although there would be a noticeable drop off in run game/communication until new guy is up to speed with the other 4. It's even possible Mack's replacement is on roster as of today, but more likely we bring in a dedicated C from college to groom next draft to learn for a year.

Sanu is a tough one but it's been known to be coming by our FO. Hooper/CR keep progressing and Graham/Gage become something; it just might make 2 WR and 2 TE sets with 1 RB looks deadliest we've had since Tony G with Roddy/JJ.

This year look for Stocker in that sort of formation and being a joker TE moving to block for RB or on the line with Hooper split out, but Graham would possibly take it to another level if he can replace Stocker by next year or when Luke leaves after 2 years max.

Tru is a cut candidate sooner than we all may realize since he has the biggest contract. Falcons get a year or 2 max to decide to cut Tru or re-structure to keep him for 2021 season. By then, you know what you have in Oliver/Sheffield/Miller or any other boundary corner you get in the next 2 offseasons. Defense overall but primarily the DL should be our focus aside from the C future next couple drafts. Cominsky and Senat are huge keys to the future as it is. Got 4 key DL that are UFA next offseason.

There are young guys behind every guy you just mentioned. We don't have to worry about Calvin until after 2022. Address DL next offseason, develop the talent for the 2-3 cuts; maybe 1 starter in that mix before 2020...I don't see the purge people are fearing hitting us...at least not yet.

Yes, just enjoy this season now! :tiphat:

EDIT: I just realized I used the same 'key' term but I wanted to clarify my definition only means as a contributor not a cornerstone/core player; which we've locked most up and only 2-3 max are coming due in the next 2 years. REJOICE!!

28 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Just Keep drafting smart....