The matchup that will decide Week 1 is...

The matchup that will decide Week 1 is?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. The matchup that will decide Week 1 is?

• Our CBs vs Vikings WRs
    • Our O-Line vs Vikings D-Line
    • Our D-Line vs Dalvin Cook
    • Our Pass Rush vs Kirk Cousins
    • Matt Ryan vs Vikings Pass Rush

Rarely do teams lose for one reason only, but most times you can point to a major theme that caused a loss. 

This is never more true than when discussing 2 teams that are very evenly matched. The Vikings are just a 1 point favorite when accounting for location against our Falcons. I'm expecting a tough, hard fought game from the outset, but believe the Falcons can pull this one out. 

I think it will come down to our CBs vs what many consider the best Wide Receiver duo in the league in Adam Theilin and Stefan Diggs. I feel confident in Trufant to competently cover either guy. If I have my preference I'd rather Trufant cover Diggs. That would leave Oliver on Theilin. This is where I'm most concerned. Theilin is a top 8 WR and will test our young CB. Can he hold his own against one of the better receivers in the league or will Theilin win out more? 

My other big concern is stopping Cook. He can be a huge issue if we aren't able to stop him early and often. He's the key to their offensive consistency. And with this figuring to be a tough defense for us to move the ball against, it's imperative that we don't allow them to get into a rhythm on offense. When Cook gets going their offense is very difficult to stop, just like ours. However, unlike ours, if the game is put in Cousins hands the Vikings offense can be wildly inconsistent. I'd look to stuff the run early and make them 1 dimensional. Cousins is bound to make a mistake or two that can help us out.

Those are my biggest questions going into Week 1. 

What do you think?

Our OL vs their DL of course. RT is a question mark though Gono looks like a pretty decent replacement and Kaleb looks promising, LG is still a question mark with Carpenter and Brown battling it out. RG is still a question mark only because Lindstrom is a rookie but he looks dam good. I think the guys we have are up to the task but they have to prove it consistently. We have great depth but I think the real test will be when we face Philly.

8 hours ago, Statick said:

Our o-line vs their d-line

A brand new o-line with potentially three rookies starters (Lindstrom, Gary? Gono?)

Gono's second year, he was an UDFA in 2018, but I get your point. Our two first rounders might very well end up being solid starters, but it might be too much to ask for this quick. Brace yourself, Matty Ice. 

10 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Rarely do teams lose for one reason only, but most times you can point to a major theme that caused a loss. 

This is never more true than when discussing 2 teams that are very evenly matched. The Vikings are just a 1 point favorite when accounting for location against our Falcons. I'm expecting a tough, hard fought game from the outset, but believe the Falcons can pull this one out. 

I think it will come down to our CBs vs what many consider the best Wide Receiver duo in the league in Adam Theilin and Stefan Diggs. I feel confident in Trufant to competently cover either guy. If I have my preference I'd rather Trufant cover Diggs. That would leave Oliver on Theilin. This is where I'm most concerned. Theilin is a top 8 WR and will test our young CB. Can he hold his own against one of the better receivers in the league or will Theilin win out more? 

My other big concern is stopping Cook. He can be a huge issue if we aren't able to stop him early and often. He's the key to their offensive consistency. And with this figuring to be a tough defense for us to move the ball against, it's imperative that we don't allow them to get into a rhythm on offense. When Cook gets going their offense is very difficult to stop, just like ours. However, unlike ours, if the game is put in Cousins hands the Vikings offense can be wildly inconsistent. I'd look to stuff the run early and make them 1 dimensional. Cousins is bound to make a mistake or two that can help us out.

Those are my biggest questions going into Week 1. 

What do you think?

I agree CB's vs WR is the biggest threat in this game, so much so that I'd have to advocate Oliver receiving Safety help on a consistent basis, putting a TON of pressure on our base run D to make sure we don't have to bring that Safety up if ever...

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Oline v there Dline here to.

Trial by fire for them,they gotta grow up quick if we go with Lindstrom Gono or McGarry.

If they do we gotta run the football let our guys deliver blows less thinking involved and McGary especially likes doing that lol.

I agree. Put McGary in to set the tone. If he gets tired, you can always have Gono.

The obvious answer is our OL vs their DL. I’m going to go with something different though. All of those choices are good choices, but I’m going with our pass rush against Cousins.

To put it simply, the Vikings defense has handled us well for several times now, but I think that ends Sunday. We hang up at least 24 on them. Now the ball is in the hands of the Vikings offense to decide the outcome. Their WRs > our CBs. Dalvin Cook also shouldn’t be taken lightly. We’re going to put up at least 24, and as good as Cook is, they’re going to need assistance through the air to support the run. Even with their WRs being better than our CBs, that’s really not going to matter if our pass rush effectively disrupts Cousins as much as possible. 

30-20 Falcons win in Minnesota. 

6 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

I agree CB's vs WR is the biggest threat in this game, so much so that I'd have to advocate Oliver receiving Safety help on a consistent basis, putting a TON of pressure on our base run D to make sure we don't have to bring that Safety up if ever...

We’re a single high safety defense. We always have a safety in the box against run looks. Neal. We leave our corners on an island a lot. Allen is the single high safety so the deepest threat will be his responsibility. I don’t expect this game to be any different. That’s why I voted pass rush. They have to show up and keep pressure on Kirk.