vel

Rise Up...or Get Gone! Scouting the Opponent: The Minnesota Vikings

134 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

We already know who the X-factors are for the Falcons, who do you consider X-Factors for the Vikings on both sides of the ball @vel

Offense: Kirk Cousins. He's the lone one. I don't think Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, or Cook are going to falter. You know what they're going to do. But if Kirk gets rattled or is off, it won't matter what those four guys will do. Honorable mention: The interior OL. Elflein/Bradbury/Kline has the potential to be as inconsistent as Kirk. I'm a big Bradbury fan, but Elflein and Kline can be had. Repeatedly. They are like Schweitzer, on both sides. They can have a good game or they can get manhandled if they aren't sound in their technique. I think the outside zone will be new for them and have some kinks to work through. Send a steady dose of pressure looks at them to stress Bradbury and Cousins at as much as possible. They want to shrink the field, that should play into DQ's hands. 

Defense: Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Barr, Kendricks, Smith. We know their DL is good. But if the WRs/TEs/RBs can get loose a little bit in the passing game, they have a chance. Rhodes has always given Julio fits. But Ridley is a legit #1 WR in his own right and Sanu needs to be respected. That forces the Vikings to be spread out more than I think they want to be. Their LBs will have to be disciplined with Freeman back and healthy and Hooper being a full force now. It's arguably the most complete unit the Vikings will face all year with no film to go off of. It's going to stress the back 7 to be on all game. Having Harrison Smith helps, as cerebral safeties always give Matt fits. 

Schwarzwald, ya_boi_j and ZoneOne01 like this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Offense: Kirk Cousins. He's the lone one. I don't think Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, or Cook are going to falter. You know what they're going to do. But if Kirk gets rattled or is off, it won't matter what those four guys will do. Honorable mention: The interior OL. Elflein/Bradbury/Kline has the potential to be as inconsistent as Kirk. I'm a big Bradbury fan, but Elflein and Kline can be had. Repeatedly. They are like Schweitzer, on both sides. They can have a good game or they can get manhandled if they aren't sound in their technique. I think the outside zone will be new for them and have some kinks to work through. Send a steady dose of pressure looks at them to stress Bradbury and Cousins at as much as possible. They want to shrink the field, that should play into DQ's hands. 

Defense: Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Barr, Kendricks, Smith. We know their DL is good. But if the WRs/TEs/RBs can get loose a little bit in the passing game, they have a chance. Rhodes has always given Julio fits. But Ridley is a legit #1 WR in his own right and Sanu needs to be respected. That forces the Vikings to be spread out more than I think they want to be. Their LBs will have to be disciplined with Freeman back and healthy and Hooper being a full force now. It's arguably the most complete unit the Vikings will face all year with no film to go off of. It's going to stress the back 7 to be on all game. Having Harrison Smith helps, as cerebral safeties always give Matt fits. 

I completely forgot that they had Smith and Waynes. For some reason I thought Waynes switched teams but that was Eric Weddle. Either way...……...good feedback. I feel like Atlanta is going to have to beat them in the Air vs on the ground. If Freeman gets over 80 rushing yards i'd be surprised

vel likes this

19 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I completely forgot that they had Smith and Waynes. For some reason I thought Waynes switched teams but that was Eric Weddle. Either way...……...good feedback. I feel like Atlanta is going to have to beat them in the Air vs on the ground. If Freeman gets over 80 rushing yards i'd be surprised

Yea running will be ugly but even Arizona was able to get a few 4-5 yard gains. If we can clip those off consistently, I'll take it. Koetter can not abandon the run because it's not working early. This is a 60 minute chess match. Zimmer wants you to get anxious. I think Mularkey should help here. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Yea running will be ugly but even Arizona was able to get a few 4-5 yard gains. If we can clip those off consistently, I'll take it. Koetter can not abandon the run because it's not working early. This is a 60 minute chess match. Zimmer wants you to get anxious. I think Mularkey should help here. 

an 80+ yard day total on the ground along with 250+ in the air is a win to me. I think the D can rattle Cousins early. Just can't allow Adam and Stefon to win deep by any means. it's got the making to be a hard fought defensive game for both teams. Me likey

vel, Ovie_Lover and Schwarzwald like this

Truth. It won't be easy. So if we win both and go 2-0 to start the season it would really start to boost the confidence and energy of this team back to late-season 2016 levels.

With all the changes in coordinators, coaches and players, it would probably be more reasonable to look for a mid-season surge and strong play into the play-offs.

But if this team starts off hot and smacks two of the reputed elite NFC teams upside the head, who's to say they can't just toast the entire league ala the '72 Dolphins?

Yeah, I know, a trifle early to go out on that limb. Not scared of either team though. If we don't beat ourselves with stupid penalties or turnovers, we beat both.

ya_boi_j, vel, Schwarzwald and 1 other like this

Lindsey Young

ASSISTANT EDITOR & STAFF WRITER

Teams to Meet in Season Opener for 5th Time

Interesting note:  29.5 — Falcons outside linebacker Vic Beasley has 29.5 career sacks since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2015. Beasley and Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter were draft classmates; Hunter, whom Minnesota snagged with the 88th pick, has totaled 40 career sacks.

Minnesota is 4-0 in season openers against Atlanta, dating back to a 47-7 defeat of the Falcons at Metropolitan Stadium on Sept. 14, 1968.

The Vikings edged out a 24-23 victory at the Old Met on Sept. 7, 1980; won 17-14 at the Georgia Dome in 1999; and won 24-3 at the Metrodome on Sept. 9, 2007.

Last Atlanta win against Vikings - Nov 2011! 

I like to consider the head to head match ups:

ATL Offense vs. MN Defense

ATL O-line vs MN D-Line - the edge has to go to MN since our new o-line is unproven.  However, I think if we run right at them, it will be easier on our new o-line to make some hay.  Can we stay committed to the run even late in the game.  

ATL RB vs MN LBs -  Free and Ito can make anybody miss.  Edge to ATL

ATL QB/TE/WR vs MN DB's - Their DB's are good, but our guys are better across the board. Edge ATL

MN Offense Vs ATL Defense

MN O-Line vs ATL D-Line - Edge ATL.  Their O-Line is suspect and with a healthy Defense, I'm confident we can minimize the run game, but they will stay committed to the Run and they will get some yards.  

MN QB/TE/WR vs ATL DB's - I have to give the edge to MN.  They are also loaded at these positions and they will make some hay. I expect them to pick on Oliver all day.  

Special Teams - Edge has to to to ATL.  Bosher is kicking 60yd punts in preseason and field position will likely be critical in a defensive battle.  Matt Bryant is money.  I'm expecting our new STC to have discipline instilled in the ST's players so we don't get penalized to death on ST.  

Overall, this is gonna be a slobberknocker of two teams determined to run the ball throughout the game and play defense and field position.  I expect ATL to run right early and often to try to help out the rookies with some run blocking double teams at the point of attack with TE/FB help.  I expect to see MR2 go no huddle more than one series to minimize the defensive scheme changes and crowd noise.  

This game could easily come down to penalties and field position from those penalties.  

1 hour ago, roguebeaver said:

Lindsey Young

ASSISTANT EDITOR & STAFF WRITER

Teams to Meet in Season Opener for 5th Time

Interesting note:  29.5 — Falcons outside linebacker Vic Beasley has 29.5 career sacks since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2015. Beasley and Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter were draft classmates; Hunter, whom Minnesota snagged with the 88th pick, has totaled 40 career sacks.

Minnesota is 4-0 in season openers against Atlanta, dating back to a 47-7 defeat of the Falcons at Metropolitan Stadium on Sept. 14, 1968.

The Vikings edged out a 24-23 victory at the Old Met on Sept. 7, 1980; won 17-14 at the Georgia Dome in 1999; and won 24-3 at the Metrodome on Sept. 9, 2007.

Last Atlanta win against Vikings - Nov 2011! 

Ya, but the NFCCG in 1998 really left a mark on dem boys.  

duckhoa and roguebeaver like this

Prisco picks the Birds. My editing sux. Ya have to deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pete-priscos-week-1-picks-aaron-rodgers-and-packers-get-off-to-strong-start-on-road-jaguars-upset-chiefs/

love the dawn of an NFL season. 

All is new. There is excitement in the air. Most of the teams think they have a real Super Bowl chance. OK, so maybe not the Miami Dolphins.

But the best thing about the opening of the season: I still don't have a loss in my picks column.

There isn't a blemish.

That, of course, will change. That's the NFL way. Picking games is brutal now with so much parity and uncertainty. 

Even so, I like to pick games on the edge, taking chances. I will start with the first game of this season. I am picking the Green Bay Packers to beat the Chicago Bears Thursday night in Chicago. 

Let's get off to a fast start. I think this is the year I finally light it up with these picks.

Packers at Bears (-3)

This is a tough way to open the season for the Packers. The Bears are nasty on defense, but I think this one will come down to the two quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers will be better than Mitch Trubisky. The Packers take it on the road. 

Pick: Packers 23, Bears 17

Rams (-3) at Panthers 

This is a long trip to open the season for the Rams. They will be facing an improved Carolina team early West Coast time. That will matter. Cam Newton will find a way to pull this one out for the Panthers. 

Pick: Panthers 24, Rams 20

Titans at Browns (-5)

The Browns enter this season as a trendy team with plenty of talent. But they have to learn how to win, starting with this opener. The Titans will bring a tough, physical team into this game, and I think this game will play out that way. The Titans hang around, but the Browns win it.

Pick: Browns 23, Titans 20

Chiefs (-4) at Jaguars

The battle between the Chiefs offense and the Jaguars defense is one of the treats of the weekend. Can the Jaguars slow down Patrick Mahomes and company? They won't stop them, but I think they will slow them some. The Jacksonville offense is an unknown, as is the Chiefs defense. In the end, it's a close game that the Jaguars pull out in the Florida heat.

Pick: Jaguars 21, Chiefs 20 

Ravens (-5.5) at Dolphins 

The Ravens are the better team. Clearly. But opening on the road in the Florida heat won't be easy. Lamar Jackson has to show he's improved as a passer. It's Ryan Fitzpatrick for the Dolphins at quarterback. I think Miami will be feisty here and hang around before the Ravens win it. 

Pick: Ravens 17, Dolphins 16

So who wins Packers vs. Bears? And which side of the spread cashes in over 50 percent of simulations? Visit SportsLine now to see which side of the Packers vs. Bears spread to jump on Thursday, all from the advanced model that is up more than $7,000 on its top-rated NFL picks.

Falcons at Vikings (-4)

This one comes down to Matt Ryan against Kick Cousins for me. I think Ryan has a big edge. The Falcons will be better on defense this season, which will show up here. Falcons will win a tough road game. 

Pick: Falcons 23, Vikings 16

Bills at Jets (-3)

This is a game matching two teams that are moving in the right direction. Can one get to the postseason in 2019? It's possible and both will make it tough for the opposition all season. In this one, I think the Jets being at home will find a way to pull it out behind Sam Darnold

Pick: Jets 27, Bills 26

Redskins at Eagles (-8.5)

The Eagles are the class of the NFC East, while the Redskins head into the season with a bunch of questions. Look for Carson Wentz to get off a fast start in this one as the Eagles roll. 

Pick: Eagles 27, Redskins 17

Colts at Chargers (-7)

Jacoby Brissett takes over as the quarterback for the Colts following the retirement of Andrew Luck and immediately faces a tough road game. The Chargers will throw a ton of stuff at him. On the other side, I look for Philip Rivers to hit some big plays against the Colts secondary. The key will be his line holding up, which I think it does.

Pick: Chargers 30, Colts 21

Bengals at Seahawks (-9.5)

The Bengals have a first-year coach in Zac Taylor and a new-look offense. But their season will be decided by the defensive improvement. That unit was terrible last season. Russell Wilson should have success here, but I think the Bengals hang around. 

Pick: Seahawks 21, Bengals 14

Lions (-2.5) at Cardinals

This will be the first regular-season game for Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, who was the first pick in the April draft. He wasn't great in the preseason, but the Cardinals didn't show much. They will here. The Lions have owned the series, going 12-5 in the last 17. That changes with Murray here. Cardinals take it. 

Pick: Cardinals 23, Lions 17

Giants at Cowboys (-7)

The Cowboys will have Ezekiel Elliott back for this one, but does it matter? The Giants aren't a good team, while the Cowboys have legitimate playoff hopes. The Cowboys will get the best of the Giants.

Pick: Cowboys 30, Giants 16

49ers at Buccaneers (-0.5)

This is a long trip to open for the 49ers. The key thing to watch here will be 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo against a Tampa Bay defense that could struggle. I think we see a shootout with Jameis Winston having a big day to edge out the 49ers.

Pick: Bucs 27, 49ers 26

Steelers at Patriots (-6)

The Steelers are a new-look team with Antonio Brown gone and the Le'Veon Bell mess behind them. They will be a good team, but opening at New England is a problem. Tom Brady is 11-3 with 31 touchdown passes and five picks in his career against the Steelers. Make it 12-3. 

Pick: Patriots 30, Steelers 23

Texans at Saints (-7)

The Texans are better on the offensive line after trading for Laremy Tunsil, which will help Deshaun Watson. But this is a tough way to open the season against a good Saints team on the road. The Superdome will be rocking and the Saints will win it behind a big night from Drew Brees

Pick: Saints 30, Texans 23

Broncos at Raiders (-0.5)

This AFC West game is a nice way to open the season for two teams that think they are improved. The Raiders added some nice pieces this offseason, but the Broncos getting Joe Flacco will be the biggest addition of them all. I think the Denver defense will limit Derek Carr and the offense here as Denver will pull off an upset. 

Pick: Broncos 21, Raiders 17 

18 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Hunter, whom Minnesota snagged with the 88th pick, has totaled 40 career sacks.

How much OLB, or spy did he play?

10 hours ago, FalconFan1st said:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/3/20848402/the-falcons-are-eerily-similar-to-the-vikings

Decent write up by a Viking fan. They of course feel they have the edge mainly on Defense. They rightly point out that the key will be in keeping MR uncomfortable and off the field.

A paid writer:

The Falcons are eerily similar to the Vikings

The Vikings open the season at home Sunday against Atlanta. What should we expect?

By Ted Glover@purplebuckeye  Sep 3, 2019, 11:17pm CDT

Share this story

7 hours ago, vel said:

Interesting how little other fans know of other teams. Decent write up at best like you said. 

A paid writer:

The Vikings open the season at home Sunday against Atlanta. What should we expect?

Share this story

7 hours ago, FalconFan1st said:

I agree Vel. But with the Caveat that most Falcons fans could not do a well written and complete write up of a team they don't play very often. But you would think that since he or she took the time to write this up, they would have taken a moment to look at what last year was really about, especially on the defensive side of the ball... injuries.

A paid writer. No casual fan.

Share this story

2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

A paid writer. No casual fan.

Share this story

Tim your malfunctioning lol

Schwarzwald likes this