vel

Rise Up...or Get Gone! Scouting the Opponent: The Minnesota Vikings

134 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, duckhoa said:

My money (I have "invested" $15 on this)

I am a big spender too. I have a Hamilton on the Eagles game and another to beat them in the playoffs.

duckhoa likes this

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Everyone wanted kubiak. Now I hope we smack them and make his offense look bad.

Not to worry. The Falcons' stable of former head coaches and OCs have seen him and know him.

I think this defense of the Falcons' will be better than expected.

octoslash, Jesus, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Should be a great game. Both franchises are known for choking so it may just come down to who can not screw up 1st. 

Or who can manage not to screw up last! I look for a tight game, with Bryant giving us the W, 24-21.

Falcons_Frenzy likes this

5 hours ago, vel said:

Lol I just find it hard to verbally predict a loss in writing. The universe and such things. But I agree. It's going to be a very tough game for 60 minutes. I have my whiskey ready. 

I know, right?

Cousins can get rattled though. To me, that’s going to be the key in what I think will be a low scoring game.

6 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I agree. But, losing on the road to a team like the Vikings is MUCH easier to accept than a home loss to a bad Bucs team. Especially one that was coached by our former OC. I get the meltdown to an extent from that game. 

I hope we pull it out this weekend. But the Vikings and the Eagles are the 2 teams in the NFC that scare me. 

We've got to have at least one of those games, early playoff implications...

3 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

We've got to have at least one of those games, early playoff implications...

You’re right. We’ll see what happens. Not saying we can’t beat these guys. We can. But it won’t be easy

Falconcheff likes this

7 hours ago, vel said:

Agreed. This is where I think Bailey shows this board why he's here. 

Him, Davison, Grady, and Senat running a heavy rotation of Bear fronts against those shrunked formations. 

I have more confidence in our run Defense and just hope the pass rush finishes the job. It's tougher on the road for our offense than our defense; IMO. Our Offense has to face their better DL while our Defense gets to face their average OL.

We have new front alignments being deployed; sometimes as a week to week game plan.

Just need our D to buy time for the new OL to get going; considering Kaleb's delay and Gono exp/Ty injury...and Koetter to get the gameplan going and any necessary adjustments hashed out early.

I think in that scenario, we can win it.

Tim Mazetti and vel like this

PMF mentioned this earlier I can see a lot of A gap pressure from the Vikings and they’ll go after our inexperienced right side.

For me our counters are slants and going no huddle behind it.

Its an interesting matchup chess moves.There going to be tough to run on with there centre piece Joseph at the heart of it.Dangerous edge duo.There no joke.

I think for us to win our defense makes a big stop or play to win it.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Stop Dalvin from running wild and pressure Cousins, make him have to make the tough throws who covers Rudolph and their success is big also. Oliver and Trufant will be tested by a great WR tandem. Offensively if the Birds get the running game going watch out, against the Vikings defense it's unlikely. #2 is gonna need #11 #12 and #18 to come up huge and can definitely see #3 getting his kicks. 31-28 Falcons

vel likes this

15 hours ago, Osiruz said:

That's just one of those teams (Eagles, Patriots) we can never seem to beat. Their defense gives us fits every time we play and is stingier than ours. If we rely on the pass to set up the run we might escape with a win.

If we would have played them in 2016 Matt Ryan would have carved them up. 

2 hours ago, FalconFan1st said:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/9/3/20848402/the-falcons-are-eerily-similar-to-the-vikings

Decent write up by a Viking fan. They of course feel they have the edge mainly on Defense. They rightly point out that the key will be in keeping MR uncomfortable and off the field.

Interesting how little other fans know of other teams. Decent write up at best like you said. 

This line here for example:

The Falcons defense was consistently bad against both the run and pass last year...The Falcons defensive line is one that the Vikings o-line should have the advantage over, or at least be even with, and I don’t know that’s something we’ll be able to say a lot this season. I’m really expecting the offense to have a good game Sunday.

I guess ignore the injury battered Falcons defense that resulted in the bad defense last year. Ignore the DL additions to the Falcons. Even if you don't think they are good additions, not mentioning them as something to watch is a bit lazy. At the least he does mention the key battle will be their interior OL versus our interior DL. 

13 minutes ago, vel said:

Interesting how little other fans know of other teams. Decent write up at best like you said. 

This line here for example:

I guess ignore the injury battered Falcons defense that resulted in the bad defense last year. Ignore the DL additions to the Falcons. Even if you don't think they are good additions, not mentioning them as something to watch is a bit lazy. At the least he does mention the key battle will be their interior OL versus our interior DL. 

Davison and Bailey weren't big money FA, but their impact will be huge. Think that Vikings' fan is going to be amazed  by how hard it is to run on the Falcons.

vel, Tim Mazetti and Ergo Proxy like this

I agree Vel. But with the Caveat that most Falcons fans could not do a well written and complete write up of a team they don't play very often. But you would think that since he or she took the time to write this up, they would have taken a moment to look at what last year was really about, especially on the defensive side of the ball... injuries.

Ergo Proxy and vel like this

Finally starting to track down some Vikings Twitter vids. This one is Mike Tice breaking down the long 85 yard TD run from the preseason. Very good breakdown, per usual, from Tice. You'll see how important doing YOUR job correctly is in run defense. Chandler Jones gets lazy and abandons his responsibility hunting for a sack and is responsible for this big play. The secondary of course ultimately gives up the TD, but Chandler is responsible for it getting there. 

Here's a shot of the alignment:

Every gap accounted for. One man doesn't do their job, it's 6. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

14 minutes ago, FalconFan1st said:

I agree Vel. But with the Caveat that most Falcons fans could not do a well written and complete write up of a team they don't play very often. But you would think that since he or she took the time to write this up, they would have taken a moment to look at what last year was really about, especially on the defensive side of the ball... injuries.

Exactly. I think I did a better job digging into the Vikings in an hour's worth of work than a paid writer did on the Falcons. And I did it without any snark lol

More details on the Vikings expected offensive philosophy this year:

This spring, his embrace of analytics transitioned Cousins from a play-action enthusiast into a full-scale evangelist. And now he’s playing for two offensive minds who’ve felt that way for some time. Stefanski raised Cousins’s use of play-action to 28 percent of his passes during the final three weeks of the season. Kubiak declines to mention specifics for how much the team will use it this season, but he says there’s a number that the Vikings are aiming for. And if Stefanski’s attitude is any indication, that figure will be much higher than 28 percent. “In regard to play-action, ultimately, if it looks like a run, I don’t care how many times you [use] it. It’ll work,” Stefanski says.

Stefanski may see the benefits of that philosophy, but he’ll have to reconcile those views with the values of one of the most conservative head coaches in the league. Zimmer and Spielman have both stressed that the best teams in the NFL are typically ones that rely heavily on the running game. “Our philosophy is that we’re not going to spread it out and throw the ball 40, 50 times a game,” Spielman says. “We want to run the ball, do play-action stuff. We got a little bit away from that last year—a lot away from that. We lost what we thought Coach Zim wanted our identity to be on offense.” Current analytics—numbers supported by the Vikings’ starting quarterback—contend that play-action effectiveness isn’t tied into a team’s rushing attempts or rushing success. How those ideals mesh together may ultimately determine Stefanski’s future as Minnesota’s play-caller—and whether the Vikings can truly pry all they can from Cousins.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/2019/8/19/20811425/minnesota-vikings-kirk-cousins-kevin-stefanski-gary-kubiak-offensive-identity

Matches what that tweet above just illustrated. The Vikings are going to look to condense the field and play in tight quarters. 3 yards and a cloud of dust football with a ton of play action behind it. Having weapons like Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph, and now Doctson, I don't think this is the right approach. We'll see come Sunday. Glad to see we have the horses this year for this type of game. Hope these boys are practicing their run fits all week. 

FalconFan1st likes this