Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Since1990

Ollison Switching to #30 to Honor Slain Brother

28 posts in this topic

Falcons RB swaps number to honor slain brother
Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn gave rookie running back Qadree Ollison permission to switch numbers from No. 32 to No. 30 so Ollison could honor his late brother, who was slain in 2017.

Ollison's older brother, LeRowne Harris, wore No. 30 as a youth league standout in Niagara Falls, New York. Ollison switched from No. 37 to No. 30 at Pittsburgh last season in memory of Harris, who was shot three times -- twice in the back -- in a gas station parking lot. Harris was 35.

It was Quinn's idea to approach Ollison about the number change following Monday's practice. The number became available after the Falcons waived fullback Ricky Ortiz with an injury settlement.

Ollison said he appreciated his coach's kind gesture.

"They've got to call and ask the league, but [Quinn] said it shouldn't be a problem,'' Ollison told ESPN. "A number is a number, but this means a little bit more to me. It's going to be really nice to have that. It's going to be exciting for everybody, just wearing that number and what it represent to me and my family.''

"I definitely respect it, for him to represent his brother like that,'' Freeman said of Ollison. "Everything I do and when I perform, it's about my family, my auntie, and success for generations.''

The request through the league could take five to seven days, so there is no guarantee Ollison will have the new number by Sunday's season opener at Minnesota. He should, however, have the No. 30 for the Falcons' home opener against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 2.

The 6-foot-1, 232-pound Ollison, a fifth-round draft pick, is expected to be a contributor in his first season, particularly as a power back in short-yardage situations. Quinn also said Ollison "passed the test'' in an audition at fullback, although the Falcons signed veteran fullback Keith Smith on Monday after releasing Ortiz.

Ollison had two rushing touchdowns in the preseason and a long run of 16 yards. Quinn expects a run/balance this season with four capable running backs -- Freeman, Ito Smith, Ollison and Brian Hill -- and a revamped offensive line playing under new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

V-Town Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I like 30 better.  Nothing wrong with 32 but I truly love when the number means something to these guys.  Just feel like it adds something.  I played as #82 and hated it as it meant nothing to me.

32 is nice, but it hasn't had a kind history with Falcon RBs.

#30 seems fresh and It actually means something to Ollison. Plus, I was a huge fan of Terrell Davis(except during SB 33).

Monolith2001 and Cole World like this

35 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I like 30 better.  Nothing wrong with 32 but I truly love when the number means something to these guys.  Just feel like it adds something.  I played as #82 and hated it as it meant nothing to me.

Oliver got his #26 back as well this offseason.

atlbaby and Monolith2001 like this

1 hour ago, Since1990 said:

Falcons RB swaps number to honor slain brother
Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn gave rookie running back Qadree Ollison permission to switch numbers from No. 32 to No. 30 so Ollison could honor his late brother, who was slain in 2017.

Ollison's older brother, LeRowne Harris, wore No. 30 as a youth league standout in Niagara Falls, New York. Ollison switched from No. 37 to No. 30 at Pittsburgh last season in memory of Harris, who was shot three times -- twice in the back -- in a gas station parking lot. Harris was 35.

It was Quinn's idea to approach Ollison about the number change following Monday's practice. The number became available after the Falcons waived fullback Ricky Ortiz with an injury settlement.

Ollison said he appreciated his coach's kind gesture.

"They've got to call and ask the league, but [Quinn] said it shouldn't be a problem,'' Ollison told ESPN. "A number is a number, but this means a little bit more to me. It's going to be really nice to have that. It's going to be exciting for everybody, just wearing that number and what it represent to me and my family.''

"I definitely respect it, for him to represent his brother like that,'' Freeman said of Ollison. "Everything I do and when I perform, it's about my family, my auntie, and success for generations.''

The request through the league could take five to seven days, so there is no guarantee Ollison will have the new number by Sunday's season opener at Minnesota. He should, however, have the No. 30 for the Falcons' home opener against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 2.

The 6-foot-1, 232-pound Ollison, a fifth-round draft pick, is expected to be a contributor in his first season, particularly as a power back in short-yardage situations. Quinn also said Ollison "passed the test'' in an audition at fullback, although the Falcons signed veteran fullback Keith Smith on Monday after releasing Ortiz.

Ollison had two rushing touchdowns in the preseason and a long run of 16 yards. Quinn expects a run/balance this season with four capable running backs -- Freeman, Ito Smith, Ollison and Brian Hill -- and a revamped offensive line playing under new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

I still think he will end up being our future FB. Probably starting next year.

2 hours ago, Nereek said:

I still think he will end up being our future FB. Probably starting next year.

he is not a fulltime FB. It would be dumb to make hime one. That's something Mike Smith would do smh

8 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

he is not a fulltime FB. It would be dumb to make hime one. That's something Mike Smith would do smh

He would be a hybrid.

24 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

What type of back was Snelling?

3 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

32 is nice, but it hasn't had a kind history with Falcon RBs.

#30 seems fresh and It actually means something to Ollison. Plus, I was a huge fan of Terrell Davis(except during SB 33).

#32 was Jam's number :huh:

thamill likes this

5 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

#32 was Jam's number :huh:

Do you remember how his career got derailed and ended?

He is biggest victim of the #32 curse.

5 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Do you remember how his career got derailed and ended?

He is biggest victim of the #32 curse.

I mean, RBs bro. Most don't play into their 30s. If Ollison has even the half of the success Jam had (4 1000 yard seasons) with or without injuries I think he would take that every day of the week. 

10 hours ago, TD_Lover said:

This is why we cut Ortiz with an injury settlement. Quinn went for the knees.

Lmao.nah ortiz got blown up and the first play vs Miami

VTCrunkler likes this

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I mean, RBs bro. Most don't play into their 30s. If Ollison has even the half of the success Jam had (4 1000 yard seasons) with or without injuries I think he would take that every day of the week. 

Anderson tore his ACL and had his prime cut short and eventually his career as well.

I'm pretty sure JA had a hard time dealing with that over the years along with problems with drugs and arrests.