slewis1952

What in the world is the problem with Acuna???

19 posts in this topic

I am a Ronald Acuna fan. I enjoy the energy and enthusiasm. However has he gone blind? Do the Braves have a hitting coach? Can someone tell me why he is hit less in his last 15 at bats? Without being over dramatic, I have never seen someone so completely helpless at home place. Enough of watching him slowly walk back to the bench and sit there.I remember they got Donaldson out to hit against a pitching machine and it did help.Acuna has 160 strike outs so far. Hank Aaron's worst strike out season produced 97 SO. He never broke 100 in 23 years of playing in the majors.

What is wrong?

1 hour ago, slewis1952 said:

I am a Ronald Acuna fan. I enjoy the energy and enthusiasm. However has he gone blind? Do the Braves have a hitting coach? Can someone tell me why he is hit less in his last 15 at bats? Without being over dramatic, I have never seen someone so completely helpless at home place. Enough of watching him slowly walk back to the bench and sit there.I remember they got Donaldson out to hit against a pitching machine and it did help.Acuna has 160 strike outs so far. Hank Aaron's worst strike out season produced 97 SO. He never broke 100 in 23 years of playing in the majors.

What is wrong?

I think he is wore out. He isnt use to a full mlb season. Maybe he needs to see a conditioning coach to help him stay in better shape

Edited by LouDog

He'll get rolling again. Hes already well over his career high in ABs so theres some fatigue there. Snitker said he spoke with him and they're telling him just to simplify things. Told him to see ball hit ball, dont think. Let the natural talent guide you back.

g-dawg likes this

He is very noticeably tired.  Not sure how anyone isn't seeing how obvious that is.  It's written all over his face.

His swings are very clearly late and sluggish.  Bat drooping as if heavy, loading/hitch longer/slower, head pulled out, eyes not on the ball, face grimacing trying to exert effort....  All signs of physical AND mental fatigue.

Snit needs to give him a game or probably two off.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, Beef said:

He is very noticeably tired.  Not sure how anyone isn't seeing how obvious that is.  It's written all over his face.

His swings are very clearly late and sluggish.  Bat drooping as if heavy, loading/hitch longer/slower, head pulled out, eyes not on the ball, face grimacing trying to exert effort....  All signs of physical AND mental fatigue.

He gave him 1 day already. Acuna didnt play Saturday. 

Malachore likes this

26 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Probably pressing trying to get that 40/40 season. 

This too, Acuna is very aware of his personal stats and has a strong desire to achieve his personal goals. It's why there were accusations he was hitting long singles, to steal 2B and get to 30/30 or 40/40. There were at least of couple hits he could have easily made a double.

Acuna doesn't have that swagger, that fun mentality. Now it's all about what people will say if he makes a mistake. I know alot of people saying Snit made right decision by publicly humiliate him, but he need to talk to Acuna again because it's probably on his mind being a 21 year old.

Malachore likes this

Acuna doesnt have that swagger because hes slumping. If you watched yesterday they had video of him visibly frustrated in the dugout. It's not about what Snitker did. That's old news that only a few fans are talking about now. Acuna is just frustrated because hes never struggled like this, it's what every young player goes through. He'll adjust and his body will acclimate to the long season. A player with the talent of Acuna or Trout is use to easily destroying every level they've been. When the best players in the world put you in a slump for awhile for the first time it's a challenge mentally.

3 hours ago, vietlanta said:

Acuna doesn't have that swagger, that fun mentality. Now it's all about what people will say if he makes a mistake. I know alot of people saying Snit made right decision by publicly humiliate him, but he need to talk to Acuna again because it's probably on his mind being a 21 year old.

I would like to disagree with you. But you make a valid point in that he is 21. They do hold onto things longer. It could be that or it could be he is just tired. I'm sure Snit has talked to him again though. I'm around enough college football players and high school football recruits to know kids these days are a lot more sensitive 

Ronald Acuna's slump has nothing to do with being benched. His slump actually started BEFORE he was benched. He was benched on August 18th. Counting that game and the previous 4 before it, he had only 4 hits in 5 games including a 3 strikeout game. His slump started with the game on August 14th. But lets just throw Snitker under the bus and blame and say he's the reason Acuna sucks right now and that it has nothing to do with him being tired from playing a long season for the first time.

falconsd56 and TheTrue7 like this

16 hours ago, Beef said:

Sit him for a week straight.  HR derby seems foolish in hindsight.  He should have shown his all-field ability in Round 1 and faked an injury

He lacks the stamina of others due to being a kid still.  I remember how exhausted he was compared to others  in his final 10 swings in the HE derby

It’s already been beaten around the bushes well in the thread but 2019 baseball doesn’t consider the strikeout to be a folly anymore like it used to be even just 15 years ago (heck, maybe even 5 years ago it still was more than it is now).

That’s not to say Acuna hasn’t been slumping recently but the strikeout was a part of his game when he blew up the minor leagues in 2017, the strikeout was a part of his game even after he settled in during the 2nd half of last year, the strikeout has been a part of his game this year even when he was going well. He had more than 1 period this year where he was crushing the ball and striking out 30%+ of the time.

The end point is striking out will probably always be a part of his game. Can he get better? Absolutely but “better” for him is likely to still be around 20-22 and striking out 100+ times a year.

Albies is a guy that actually became known for high contact instead of athleticism and power and he already has 100 strikeouts. In today’s era, a guy good at contact can still often have what seems to be a fairly moderate K rate.

Edited by VoiceofReason95