Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Statistics don't tell full story of Tyeler Davison's value

43 posts in this topic

Why didn’t the Saints keep him? I saw where Cameron Jordan was bummed he left. His teammates have rave reviews of him. Seems odd that he was just sitting there on a shelf for us to pick up so cheap.

^They have a NT rotation going so it wasn't just Tyeler

Plus, for the money they decided to sign Malcom Brown from the Pats to be an upgrade to Tyeler. Their version of trying to get better while Davison was looking to get a raise in UFA. Pretty sure they were from the same draft and is considered generally a better player.

Didn't happen for Tyeler looking to get paid and so they replaced him with someone they felt more worth it to sign.

That's probably why he only agreed on a 1 year deal after the main wave on UFA was over and realized he needed another year before being able to get a better deal.

We probably have to rely on Senat progressing if he helps our defense improve a lot in Base vs the run. It'll be hard to keep him if he is determined to get paid, but he could come back if he had to settle again. :shrug:

pzummo, kiwifalcon and gazoo like this

Also have to ask if he’s a better fit here as a starter with our DL group.

We rotate heavily and will use him in our starting lineup (our bigs package) on running downs. I’m not sure how the Saints would have used him if he stayed.

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

Part of that approval is that hes no longer doing those things for the Saints. Between losing Davison and Unger, the middle of the Saints lines may be much softer than they have been.

Malcom Brown wants a word regarding their interior DL. Onyemata is really good already.

McCoy will be a downgrade from Unger but their DL Inside is stout even before Rankins comes back.

10 hours ago, Vandy said:

Me either Kiwi. But I knew we were gonna have a huge (pun intended) falloff replacing him with McClain.

Shocking saints let him get away that cheap. I would be interested in @SaintRay‘s take on why the heck they let him get away. 

The team viewed him as a 5th option at  DT/NG.

Rankins, Onyemata, Brown and Stallworth all ran ahead of him.

He’s a decent player, but he’ll see the field more with you guys.

1 hour ago, SaintRay said:

Brown? Y’all just signed him this offseason.

Ergo Proxy likes this

All I know is he has most definitely passed the eye test thus far.

And his departure maketh the Stains worse.

Win f***n Win

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

Brown? Y’all just signed him this offseason.

Yes we did, and then Davison was not extended an offer to return.

13 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

You know that how? That's the thing with FA, when they leave your team (not just the Saints, every fan base) it's "we didn't want him anyway". When the fact is we never know, maybe they just wanted to leave man.

3 hours ago, SaintRay said:

59 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

So out of the players y'all had on the D-line last year, Davison was y'all #1 NT and Stallworth was you'll #2 NT.

Rankins and Onyemata was you'll DT's in nickel package (Rankins played in base as well)

Snap count

Rankins: 642 reps

Onyemata: 616 reps

Davison: 421 reps

Stallworth: 318 reps 

3 hours ago, SaintRay said:

This was my thing. Every article says Davison is sooo great and unsung. But the team that knew him best (NO) wouldn't even pay him 895k which is only 100k over vet minimum. Not only does the media laud him, his teams mates do as well. How can the saints let him go and for so cheap.

Hope he turns out a steal for us. But something doesnt add up.

3 hours ago, runshoot said:

This was my thing. Every article says Davison is sooo great and unsung. But the team that knew him best (NO) wouldn't even pay him 895k which is only 100k over vet minimum. Not only does the media laud him, his teams mates do as well. How can the saints let him go and for so cheap.

I have to think they thought he reached his ceiling or is really close to it.  If they see his ceiling is as a serviceable NT while Stallworth has Pro Bowl upside, that is the only way it makes sense. 

4 hours ago, TD_Lover said:

You know that how? That's the thing with FA, when they leave your team (not just the Saints, every fan base) it's "we didn't want him anyway". When the fact is we never know, maybe they just wanted to leave man.

I probably doesn't hurt that a Saints defensive coach is my next door neighbor .... or that I have an extended family member inside the Saints organization.

And for the record, I didn't say I didn't want him, I simply stated the team went out and secured Malcolm Brown early in Free Agency and chose to not offer a contract to Davison. It was after these events Davison signed elsewhere. 

For what it's worth, the Saints beat writers are among the worst in the country. Most know little and few true footballers pay much attention to the fluff pieces they pen. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

I probably doesn't hurt that a Saints defensive coach is my next door neighbor .... or that I have an extended family member inside the Saints organization.

And for the record, I didn't say I didn't want him, I simply stated the team went out and secured Malcolm Brown early in Free Agency and chose to not offer a contract to Davison. It was after these events Davison signed elsewhere. 

I have a hard time believing an internet stranger on his connections my guy.

ya_boi_j likes this

People also doubted Kyle Van Noy and called him a bust until he went somewhere that used him at his strengths. 

This dude is a run stopper, that's how we will use him. They always get paid very little.

14 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

For what it's worth, the Saints beat writers are among the worst in the country. Most know little and few true footballers pay much attention to the fluff pieces they pen. 

We'll trade DLed, our beat writer, for any of yours, and come out  ahead. I'm not saying he's stupid mind you, although, in a stiff breeze, his forehead buckles.

17 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

I have a hard time believing an internet stranger on his connections my guy.

I'm good with that.

Mike Nolan lives next door.