Falcon Blitz

Falcons sign FB Keith Smith

115 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Took me a sec to realize you didn't mean at no cost...

awful timing for the old name-shorten.

I'll be bold and try and somehow play this off. errrm. Smith is going to have a much bigger impact on our team than the meagre financial outlay.

Free? No sir. Bargain? Absooohoolutely.

... you buying it?

1 minute ago, MattM12 said:

awful timing for the old name-shorten.

I'll be bold and try and somehow play this off. errrm. Smith is going to have a much bigger impact on our team than the meagre financial outlay.

Free? No sir. Bargain? Absooohoolutely.

... you buying it?

LOL, I was the one that was confused, not you.

3 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

A new name for the nasties? Although the Chris and Big County effect doesn't roll off the tongue, I kinda like it.

They have to prove it now.

What Dahl brought here was an intangible. It infected the other players on the OL. It wasn’t Dahls brimming talent that transformed our OL identity, it was his attitude that he wanted to destroy his opponent.

I submit that it was this intangible that we sorely missed when we migrated toward smaller more mobile OL.  I also submit TD and DQ finally got it this offseason, a teams identity starts on the offensive and defensive lines and we were somewhat lost in this regard.

Thus, we brought in all kinds of bigger, stronger linemen on both sides of the ball that were nasty, gritty, angry players with attitudes. Instead of folding on the critical downs under duress from the more physical teams we face, we now have the Dahl Effect on both sides of the lines. We’ve been watching Lindstrom and McGary violently knocking defenders on their azzes all preseason. We will now punch back, and hard. Everyone we signed had some level of this, including Stocker and now our new  FB, smash mouth football is back!

You combine the angry OL and DLs with the outstanding skill position pieces and  highly capable coaching staff I’m not sure there has ever been a season I’ve felt this good about our team.

egoprime II, vel and VTCrunkler like this

Never understood our answers at FB post DiMarco. Never liked Ortiz as a blocker. Either not big enough or not aggressive enough. Doesn’t really inspire the LB to shy away from him.  He will have a successful post NFL career with avocado farming. 

Good job by the FO to admit a mistake and make a solid move and carry on. 

6 hours ago, egoprime II said:

I'll give a worse one than Horne for the Saints:  Morten Anderson.

Imagine being a Saints fan watching Morton kicking the winning field goal over the Vikes in the NFCCG...

The thought puts a smile on my face.:D

Yes. This rivalry has a lot of story 

14 hours ago, Falcon Blitz said:

D.Led is the worst. I’m sorry that I used him as my source I apologize Falcons nation! 

You gave us entertainment, why should you be sorry? We should be thanking you!

11 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

This may be unfair to him.....but he could have the same impact that Ovie had on this team.

He has that same ill intent that Ovie had

i'm thinking the same thing.  Our run game has not been the same since he left.  Hopefully he can pickup the playbook fast.  

Does anyone know if he has been FB in the Zone scheme?  I remember when we first did this run scheme a coach being interviewed said the FB has to think like a RB and see the holes, but take out the first guy in the hole.  Ovie did that and Free knew exactly what he was doing/blocking and could cut right off of his hip into open space.  

HASHBROWN3 likes this

16 hours ago, gazoo said:

What Dahl brought here was an intangible. It infected the other players on the OL. It wasn’t Dahls brimming talent that transformed our OL identity, it was his attitude that he wanted to destroy his opponent.

I submit that it was this intangible that we sorely missed when we migrated toward smaller more mobile OL.  I also submit TD and DQ finally got it this offseason, a teams identity starts on the offensive and defensive lines and we were somewhat lost in this regard.

Thus, we brought in all kinds of bigger, stronger linemen on both sides of the ball that were nasty, gritty, angry players with attitudes. Instead of folding on the critical downs under duress from the more physical teams we face, we now have the Dahl Effect on both sides of the lines. We’ve been watching Lindstrom and McGary violently knocking defenders on their azzes all preseason. We will now punch back, and hard. Everyone we signed had some level of this, including Stocker and now our new  FB, smash mouth football is back!

You combine the angry OL and DLs with the outstanding skill position pieces and  highly capable coaching staff I’m not sure there has ever been a season I’ve felt this good about our team.

Every bit of what you said is true.... Every bit of it.... :munch:

gazoo likes this

3 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

i'm thinking the same thing.  Our run game has not been the same since he left.  Hopefully he can pickup the playbook fast.  

Does anyone know if he has been FB in the Zone scheme?  I remember when we first did this run scheme a coach being interviewed said the FB has to think like a RB and see the holes, but take out the first guy in the hole.  Ovie did that and Free knew exactly what he was doing/blocking and could cut right off of his hip into open space.  

Ovie and Free didn't play with each other.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

16 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Never understood our answers at FB post DiMarco. Never liked Ortiz as a blocker. Either not big enough or not aggressive enough. Doesn’t really inspire the LB to shy away from him.  He will have a successful post NFL career with avocado farming. 

That’s the way I see it.

Ortiz has been very uninspiring with his play imho.  

It was a position that we downgraded after losing DiMarco.  

Ortiz’s vision as a lead blocker was poor. 

Ovie_Lover and VTCrunkler like this

20 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Dallas runs a fair amount of zone concepts.

Free never ran behind Ovie....that was Dimarco.

Your point is still valid though

Ovie_Lover likes this

35 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

Do you thing that McGary will start right away? If he is physically healthy, I don't think he will learn anything siting on the bench..  Maybe start Gono for the first half, and let McGary see what is happening at RT ?

After seeing how fatigued McGary was playing a half (although he played a lot of snaps for a typical half) he may need just a little more time to get his conditioning down. (We don't want him get injured if he gets so tired his technique gets sloppy leading to injury)   

I think Gono could get the greenlight just until McGary gets his conditioning back. If at all possible it would be great to have McGary play second half again, especially if we have a good lead and aren't in too many obvious passing situations.

There is no doubt in my mind McGary will be starting by game 3 though. 

19 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Cutting Dimarco was a mistake, our OL sucked since. A blocking FB and TE were important for our OL and we cast them aside.

Hopefully this will fix these previous mistake.

We didn't cut DiMarco, he was a UFA and signed elsewhere for the money.

I still think Brady Ewing would have been really good if he didn't get hurt.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:01 AM, raysnill1 said:

excellent. I've never liked Ortiz

He told me he wasn’t crazy about you either.

His exact words were actually, “don’t let me catch yo @$$ out the streets”!

Keith is 240 with a mean streak.

I just want to see a guy who diagnoses quickly & commits rapidly so that Free can react & do his thing immediately.

Even if it’s not quite the correct read by the FB initially, he serves a very good purpose by initiating proactively to clear out some space.  Gives the RB a quick & clear read.

17 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Agree 100%

VTCrunkler likes this

28 minutes ago, Beef said:

We didn't cut DiMarco, he was a UFA and signed elsewhere for the money.

I still think Brady Ewing would have been really good if he didn't get hurt.

Ewing showed promise

Both as a blocker and as a receiver

On 9/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, Nereek said:

Wow, he went from silent bob to Football player.

That's Kevin. Some Canadian pride

On 9/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, FentayeJones said:
This is the FB the Falcon wanted to sign last season. He went to Oakland instead.

actually we tried to trade for him and DAL traded him to OAK instead. Team staff must be really happy.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Dallas runs a fair amount of zone concepts.

Free never ran behind Ovie....that was Dimarco.

Your point is still valid though

Ah... correct.  I got them confused.  Ya DiMarco was the man!  He would crush LB's.  

falconsd56 likes this