Falcon Blitz

Falcons sign FB Keith Smith

115 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

The Fullback Assist Stat Is Here

On Todays Pardon My Take, we interviewed fullbacks John Kuhn and Danny Vitale of the Green Bay Packers and formally anounced the creation of the new stat that is sure to take the NFL world by storm this season: The Fullback Assist (FBA)…………...

Ive been wanting to keep track of this stat for a couple years now and we finaly have some data behind it.  So without farther ado here are the leaders for fullback assists for the NFL league year 2018:

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 2.17.08 PMScreen Shot 2019-06-24 at 2.17.19 PM

So at the top of the podium is Roosevelt Nix from the Steelers- a man whose named after our president with the lowest pad level. Might not have the same wheels but he shares the notion that ties are so much like kissing your sister that youd marry your cousin to avoid them. He tallied up 7 FBAs last year leading the way for James Connor and making the most out of the fact that the Steelers finally had a RB who got north-south instead of waiting for the earths tectonic plates to shift while hes in the backfield dilly-dallyng waiting through no fault of his own for seismic activity to make a downhill for him.

Here are the preseason odds to lead the league in FBAs:

James Develin: 3-1

Roosevelt Nix: 5-1

Andy Janovich: 7-1

Juszczhzchyzkyck: 9-1

Alex Armah: 11-1

Bohanon/Vitale: 6-1

Keith Smith: 8-1

Field: 4-1

Roosevelt Nix used to be a Falcon.  Darn...…….

24 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

I think the O line is definitely improved, but as the old adage goes, they will need time to, "Gel".  So I won't get too  down on this team if they stumble a bit in the first couple of games .  I just hope that Ryan doesn't pay a price for it until the O line gets it together.

Gregg Williams might have done this OL a favor by bringing the heat in preseason. Gave them a little taste before the games count to get them prepared.

FalconsZone7, gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

2 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

except they don't suck. Dahl was not very good

I would put it this way, Lindstrom and McGary are considerably more talented, considerably more athletic, than Dahl and Clabo were.

Dahl was more blue collar lunch pale  gritty, nasty and his demeanor was infectious to those playing next to him. Clabo really upped his game when playing next to Dahl. 

Now, we have two guys with what I believe to be All Pro level athleticism and ability with that same mentality of destroying your opponent, wanting to knock them on their az every snap.  

35 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

I think the O line is definitely improved, but as the old adage goes, they will need time to, "Gel".  So I won't get too  down on this team if they stumble a bit in the first couple of games .  I just hope that Ryan doesn't pay a price for it until the O line gets it together.

I do anticipate growing pains the first few games. Not because of coaching or talent, but because of the situation.  We had so many changes this offseason in coaching and players, and this preseason we really didn’t see our starting 5 OL play many snaps together with our starting RB, TE and starting WRs, if any.  

The injury to Carpenter and Ty,  the procedure done to McGary and Gono shifting around, Freeman hardly playing any snaps, Julio not playing, coupled with the coaching changes and tweaks to offense is almost certainly going to result in some mistakes and miscues.  Timing is important to an offense and I think it’s going to take a few games, same with communication for the starting OL.

egoprime II likes this

46 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

This is where having Mack and Matthews greatly help, granted on the other side of the line, their experience should help the young bucks get on the same page as quickly as possible.  Mack alone at Center is going to be huge for these rooks.

Cole World and FalconsZone7 like this

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

Lindstrom and McGary bring the “Dahl effect” to the strong side,

A new name for the nasties? Although the Chris and Big County effect doesn't roll off the tongue, I kinda like it.

They have to prove it now.

Schwarzwald, Cole World and gazoo like this

Cutting Dimarco was a mistake, our OL sucked since. A blocking FB and TE were important for our OL and we cast them aside.

Hopefully this will fix these previous mistake.

mtldirtybird likes this

Haha, just picked him up in Madden. He’s doing a great job. He just had a 25 yards catch on a PA and has been excellent in blocking and that’s with a rating of 65. So I’m a definitely a fan of this move ;)

Schwarzwald likes this

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

This a low key awesone signing

As important as Bryant in a sense, if we keep drives going or concert RZ into TDs because of him enabling our short yardage game?

Yeah under the radar flying under Bryant no doubt.

5 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

Wow, the FO is not messing around this year!

I think both Quinn and TD know if they dont make the playoffs this year they are both gone. 

Last year we sat on our hands watching all those injuries pile up, I wish our team was this aggressive with filling roster holes each year.

7 hours ago, Falcster said:

Falcons never did recover after losing DiMarco!

Also took us a long time to recover from losing Ovie too. Good thing mularkey run game is back. One of the few coordinators that still value power blocking full backs and knows how to use them. It's up to Dirk to call the run plays. 

NWFALCON likes this

7 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Man, they are really getting the meat in there this year. This ain’t going to be your same ol’ finesse falcons running game. 

Xactly.   

Free, who can turn a 2yd loss into a 7 ya gain, now has an Oline and a FB.....gonna be interesting.   Glad I took Free in my FF draft.  

MattM12 likes this

15 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Xactly.   

Free, who can turn a 2yd loss into a 7 ya gain, now has an Oline and a FB.....gonna be interesting.   Glad I took Free in my FF draft.  

Preach! Just finished my draft and got him in the third round...  Insert happy dance.

RichardCNile likes this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

As important as Bryant in a sense, if we keep drives going or concert RZ into TDs because of him enabling our short yardage game?

Yeah under the radar flying under Bryant no doubt.

I have said on here many times that one of the things that has kept our running game from being a successful as it could be has been the general ineffectiveness of the tight end and fullback position when it comes to run blocking..   The play that I always point to as the perfect example of this is the 4th Down play in the Eagles game last year on the opening drive.... with even halfway competent blocking by either Hooper and/or Ortiz then Freeman walks into the endzone.

With this signing and the signing of Stocker...hopefully we have fixed those issues.

vel, VTCrunkler and MattM12 like this