Next season

Run 'n' Shoot

I will start off by saying I think this team has the talent and opportunity to make a run this season. However, I can't shake the feeling that next year is really going to be when they compete for a championship.

Something about the guys coming back from injury, the rookies on the OL and the change in coordinators make me thing they'll hit their groove in year two. We've seen players take a year to fully get back from a season ending injury. Also, while we've had DQ and Dirk calling the plays before it's still a transition that hasn't been 100% smooth in the past.

There are a few tough games early on that will tell us where we stand. If we beat MN and PHL early we're on our way. If not we're going to be facing that 8.5 Vegas win total and hoping 9 wins gets you in the playoffs. 

If everything goes well, perhaps everyone will be hitting on all cylinders into the playoffs. That's the ideas scenario but it's a long season.

Sorry, for the negative vibes but I'm a Falcons fan so I'm programmed to manage expectations. 

2 minutes ago, octoslash said:

For whatever reason, I'm not worried about Philly at all.

I live about half an hour northwest of Philly and have had to eat ish the last couple of years as we find ways to lose to these bums.

That being said, I think we are better than them. Still, that hasn't stopped us from losing to them. 

I hope we stomp them out at home and send a message to the league. 

There’s always a “wait” for the groove. Never happens that way. We should have won SB in 2016 before our “groove”.

We gotta pay even more guys soon and Mack will retire and Bryant and Julio will be older. And we may not keep Sanu. And Ryan will be older. And Free will have more tread on his tires. And unforseen injuries. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the most talent loaded and deepest roster we ever see as Falcons fans. 2020 is the year we win the ring - this Feb. 

We are more deep and stacked than 2016. 

This is it fam. 

Edited by NeonDeion

Obviously, this is the most talented team, maybe in the entire league. However, turning over most of your OL, CB, adding a lot of new faces on and off the field in general, typically takes a moment for things to gel. I think they'll come together by the end of the season but I'm worried about how they will start. 

Even being a wildcard is a tough position for a team that wants

to win a championship. We have to win this division and be one of the top two teams in conference to have a real shot. That means wall to wall dominance we usually don't get during season one of a new coordinator. Hopefully, that is mitigated by them also being old coordinators but it's something that is sticking with me.

I would love nothing more than to eat crow on everything I say. I'm not going to post about it anymore as I'm usually super positive and having doubts is bumming me out.

9 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I live about half an hour northwest of Philly and have had to eat ish the last couple of years as we find ways to lose to these bums.

That being said, I think we are better than them. Still, that hasn't stopped us from losing to them. 

I hope we stomp them out at home and send a message to the league. 

Where you at? I am from Reading and now live up near Williamsport. 

This team was built to compete for the NFC South crown and NFC title.  Anything short of a playoff run will be viewed as failure.  The window ia closing for this team and Dan Quinn is likely coaching for his job.  There is no looking toward next year with our aging roster at the skill positions.  There I said it.  

52 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

This team was built to compete for the NFC South crown and NFC title.  Anything short of a playoff run will be viewed as failure.  The window ia closing for this team and Dan Quinn is likely coaching for his job.  There is no looking toward next year with our aging roster at the skill positions.  There I said it.  

You mean Schaub and Stocker? Or Bryant?

We can always say that next season is our season and its when it will all come together, instead, why not focus on the now and not look into the future. I think it will all come together this year, I can feel it. Our SB window, however, is open for the next few years, we have to hit on one of those years, I hope we do.

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

You mean Schaub and Stocker? Or Bryant?

Ryan, Julio, Sanu, Devonta, Hooper are either in the last year of their contracts, will likely be in decline or off the roster next year.  We have been patient as fans but if this team is to hoist a Lombardi in the Ryan era it needs to happen before they blow this thing up again.

17 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I will start off by saying I think this team has the talent and opportunity to make a run this season. However, I can't shake the feeling that next year is really going to be when they compete for a championship.

Something about the guys coming back from injury, the rookies on the OL and the change in coordinators make me thing they'll hit their groove in year two. We've seen players take a year to fully get back from a season ending injury. Also, while we've had DQ and Dirk calling the plays before it's still a transition that hasn't been 100% smooth in the past.

There are a few tough games early on that will tell us where we stand. If we beat MN and PHL early we're on our way. If not we're going to be facing that 8.5 Vegas win total and hoping 9 wins gets you in the playoffs. 

If everything goes well, perhaps everyone will be hitting on all cylinders into the playoffs. That's the ideas scenario but it's a long season.

Sorry, for the negative vibes but I'm a Falcons fan so I'm programmed to manage expectations. 

I think we should go all in this year. I don't think we can count on the roster staying competitive next year. We are coming up on our first ever negative cap year at -$1.8M and have only 40 players under contract. That doesn't include Julio's new Lifetime contract numbers.

Beasley, Bosher, Bryant, Hoop, Campbell, Davison, KSmith, Clayborn, Crawford, Grace, BHill, Barner, Swipester, Hardy, Ish, Wreh-Wilson, Neasman, Means, Wilcox and Bennett will all be free agents. That's like seven starters and six second team depth players to replace.

Not to mention Mack, Free, Sanu, Rico, Bailey, Stocker, Schaub and Sombrero will be attractive cap casualties. We might have to cut four to six of em just to be able to add the draft class and enough low end free agents to get to a 53 man roster. This is the year to get rest.