September 2019 Recruiting Thread

336 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 95Dawg said:

SMH

is he ever going to learn that 5’3” DB don’t exist at this level or the next 

Pretty sure he listed at 5'8.

7 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

his listed height gives him a few inches then he really has.  there was a reason why we wanted him on offense.  explosive player, but has no business playing db. 

'

31 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

It’s called an exaggeration 

just like him being listed at 5’8”

when he was being recruited his height was constantly debated and criticized and thus most said he’d fair better on O than D because his height would be a major detriment and appearance has seemed that his height has been an issue. With his talent he’d be a great weapon on O and maybe a Hester type role for a team. 

14 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

It’s called an exaggeration 

just like him being listed at 5’8”

when he was being recruited his height was constantly debated and criticized and thus most said he’d fair better on O than D because his height would be a major detriment and appearance has seemed that his height has been an issue. With his talent he’d be a great weapon on O and maybe a Hester type role for a team. 

Idk why you had to be snarky about it. You said he was 5'3. Seemed like you were serious vs exaggerating. Gotta remember it's hard to pick up on that via internet words.

95Dawg likes this

14 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Idk why you had to be snarky about it. You said he was 5'3. Seemed like you were serious vs exaggerating. Gotta remember it's hard to pick up on that via internet words.

Not trying to be snarky. 

Just thought most everyone would remember how his ht was exaggerated as 5’3” all the time back when he was being recruited. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

1 minute ago, 95Dawg said:

Not trying to be snarky. 

Just thought most everyone would remember how his ht was exaggerated as 5’3” all the time back when he was being recruited. 

yeah that was the case.. that was usually the joke with him, but not everyone remembers that..  i won't forget it though..  i loved him as an offensive player and special teams, but usce told him they would have him as a db which was stupid. 

17 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Not trying to be snarky. 

Wasn't around then 

On 9/27/2019 at 10:06 AM, L.A.Falcon Fan said:

Any info on why Jamyest Williams left USC? I thought back in 2017 he was going to flip to UGA

Too small and won't play offense. We backed off recruiting him because of his size and you can see in his games it has limited him. He's a great athlete though. He'd most likely be more successful by switching to offense, but he is stubborn and wants to prove everyone wrong. Hope it all works out for him but that's what is going on there.

L.A.Falcon Fan likes this

13 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

you sure about that?  he refused to play offensive for south carolina which is a big reason he is leaving.  they wanted to move him and he said no. 

No, not sure but did see that somewhere.

Looks like UGA might be moving on from the Evans drama: 

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 6,705
12:03PM edited 12:07PM

Alright so y’all know transparency is the best policy and that I simply choose to update whenever there’s enough smoke to do so.

Regarding Evans, there has been smoke for a few weeks that something went on behind closed doors that led to his suspension. We have confidence that Evans cursed his coaches during halftime of week one, and told them following that game that their play calling was “trash”. There was smoke that the following day, Friday, during a private meeting between NSHS staff and Evans that things got out of hand. There has been smoke that the meeting got very heated, and an physical altercation was attempted by Evans against an assistant coach. Evans is said to have been the agitator. ***to be clear, this is all hearsay and unconfirmed* And why we have chose to sit on this for 3 weeks. TIFWIW but there’s tons of smoke with this, albeit unconfirmed.

After chatting with 3 people over the last two days to check in on Dell’s visit there, I now believe we have pulled out of the Evans sweepstakes. One of them is my primary source, two others I respect how close they are to this and I fully trust the feedback of one through and through. They have little confidence going forward Evans is allowed to choose UGA.

It is “believed” that Dell’s visit wasn’t necessarily to further recruit Evans, rather it was to capture feedback from those closer to the situation out there. So, it has not been confirmed that we are no longer pursuing Evans, but all indicators are pointing that way. I’m simply getting in front of it here, now that those details from that private meeting seem to be building momentum.

Moving forward, it’s too soon to determine what we will do with RB2. We all know the names: Chaney, Lloyd, Tank, the others. If you follow the recent visits, I think that’s a good indicator of Dell’s priorities. I acknowledge that from a talent level, these guys are a downgrade from Evans. I also remind everyone that our #1 target at RB for nearly two years has already been secured.

Getting in front of this again, I previously said 8 five stars was the floor. With confidence, I can only say 7 based on recent events assuming those current public commits don’t get their bump on composite.

Lastly, you know who you are...the guys who will say “I knew this would never happen anyway that’s why I said we should take (insert lesser talented player here).” You don’t have to believe what I post, but Evans was good to publicly commit to us twice in the last 4 weeks, with the second opportunity staff informing him to clean up things first. That opportunity was lost, by Evans himself. So ignore the tea leaves if you’d choose to, but it doesn’t make you right. Ebbs and flows of recruiting...no update tomorrow guys, I don’t have anything new.

Evans will be a stud player for someone, assuming he gets his head on straight.  Assuming all the above is accurate, I hope we go hard after Chaney Jr., or Gibbs.  Both seem a little different than what we have in Milton, Zeus and McIntosh.  I like Tank too, but I think I now prefer the other 2 more.

31 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Evans will be a stud player for someone, assuming he gets his head on straight.  Assuming all the above is accurate, I hope we go hard after Chaney Jr., or Gibbs.  Both seem a little different than what we have in Milton, Zeus and McIntosh.  I like Tank too, but I think I now prefer the other 2 more.

Yeah kinda crappy to see how this has unfolded with Evans. I would be good with any mentioned. I think Tank is going to be a really special player though and I would hate to see him at Auburn.

95Dawg likes this

21 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah kinda crappy to see how this has unfolded with Evans. I would be good with any mentioned. I think Tank is going to be a really special player though and I would hate to see him at Auburn.

There is so much rb talent in 2020.  I agree about Tank and I would hate to see any of those 3 at teams we play.

35 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I feel like SoFl Dawg thinks flipping Tank will be extremely difficult at this point.  

It's like going back to high school, trying to go back to a girl that liked you a lot but you ditched her for a more popular flirty girl.

I said previously that the Tank ship has sailed. I wouldn't put anything past this staff, but Tank was a sure thing and we basically told him no because Evans seemed very likely to commit soon. I have a hard time seeing us getting back over that hill, but we did it last year with Sanders after Emery decommitted. At least until Sanders was convinced the morning of signing day that he wouldn't get to play because Holyfield was coming back.

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

It's like going back to high school, trying to go back to a girl that liked you a lot but you ditched her for a more popular flirty girl.

I said previously that the Tank ship has sailed. I wouldn't put anything past this staff, but Tank was a sure thing and we basically told him no because Evans seemed very likely to commit soon. I have a hard time seeing us getting back over that hill, but we did it last year with Sanders after Emery decommitted. At least until Sanders was convinced the morning of signing day that he wouldn't get to play because Holyfield was coming back.

Agreed. I don’t think it’d be Tank, but they were able to get him to visit for the ND game...so who knows

39 minutes ago, Carter said:

Doesn’t help that AU looks great so far this year as well.

Yeah no one can blame Tank if he tells UGA to frick off.

44 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

I wouldn't sweat RB.

Zeus, Cook, McIntosh, Milton...

Not bad at all for next year.

Not worried about next year.  Need to build depth for 2021.  Not likely, but we could feasibly lose 2 of the 4 after next season.

3 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

We will make Tank tells us “no” after that I’m not real worried lol

I will say this.   At the end of the day, If Tank wanted to be a Bulldog and we were his dream school - and the window opens back up for him in Athens - why not walk through that door?  Once on campus, the number of stars don’t matter - it’s who can get it done.   Gurley was 4* but less heralded - If Tank comes in and balls out, the world is his oyester.

NFL Scouts definitely have an easier time scouting UGA RBs over AU RBs in that junk offense Gus runs.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I will say this.   At the end of the day, If Tank wanted to be a Bulldog and we were his dream school - and the window opens back up for him in Athens - why not walk through that door?  Once on campus, the number of stars don’t matter - it’s who can get it done.   Gurley was 4* but less heralded - If Tank comes in and balls out, the world is his oyester.

NFL Scouts definitely have an easier time scouting UGA RBs over AU RBs in that junk offense Gus runs.

Could ultimately be what happens. May just take a little time to smooth things over. These are high school kids after all, they don’t always understand business decisions.

Bdawg58 and g-dawg like this

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

Could ultimately be what happens. May just take a little time to smooth things over. These are high school kids after all, they don’t always understand business decisions.

Quick real life UGA analogy.

I am a friendly acquaintance of UGA great LB Brandon Tolbert from late 1990’s.   He was a standout for Villa Rica High School (Wildcats) and his dream was to be a Dawg.    UGA recruited him but didn’t have room for him in the end so he had verbally accepted a scholarship to the University of Hawaii.   At the last minute,  a scholarship came open and Tolbert slid in.   Went on to become a DGD and All-SEC performer.   Has a nice career with Dallas Cowboys as well.   Also played with Kirby and they are super tight best buddies.

It’s not how you got in, just what you do once you get here!