PFF- Where all 32 NFL teams need to improve in 2019

atljbo

LINK

Where all 32 NFL teams need to improve in 2019

Atlanta Falcons: Converting turnover opportunities on defense

Key Number: 26 fumbles not recovered + dropped interceptions on defense (most in the NFL)

Turnovers are often turning points in the game, and the Falcons were on the wrong end of turnover luck as a defense last season, missing out on those big plays. As a defense, they recovered only three of the 16 fumbles against them — that 18.8% recovery rate was the worst in the league — and they dropped 13 interceptions (t-2nd most in the NFL). In total, their 26 combined missed fumble opportunities and dropped interceptions led the NFL. Securing those interceptions and having a few more fumbles bounce their way in 2019 could be the difference between a 7-9 record and a few more wins/playoff berth.

This has to be an area we improve in..... With Neal back we will create more fumbles and Deion Jones create ints and fumbles.....But this is just a crazy stat man.....

2 minutes ago, atljbo said:

LINK

This has to be an area we improve in..... With Neal back we will create more fumbles and Deion Jones create ints and fumbles.....But this is just a crazy stat man.....

With the pressure I'm expecting it should work in our favor. Defense was lost last year.

4 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Seems that sheer luck has something to do with the fumble recovery numbers. Like just happening to be in the right spot.

But have to hold on to those potential INTs.

Barnwell has had articles in the past that point to large turnover numbers usually aren't sustainable, but defenses that create turnovers tend to more successful.

2016 was a good indication of what this defense can do with a lot of turnovers

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Seems that sheer luck has something to do with the fumble recovery numbers. Like just happening to be in the right spot.

But have to hold on to those potential INTs.

it's bout time for that luck pendulum to swing our way. when Edelman made that catch after the ball SOMEHOW didn't touch the ground in the SB, I knew the game was a wrap but I also knew that lightning don't strike twice. luck and the football gods have been cruel to us the past 2 seasons and it's time for them to settle up

What I took from that article was info from the graphics used for other teams' flaws. We had the 3rd most missed tackles & the 2nd worst team pressure rate on defense. Both of those areas are more concerning to me than converting TO opportunities. That will improve just by regression to the mean. Plus having DeBo & Keanu all season will provide more TO opps. Preseason does have me feeling like they'll improve in the other 2 categories as well. I really like the way the D has looked with Quinn at DC. The energy is diff.