Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gazoo

Interview with TD

31 posts in this topic

Thomas Dimitroff talks about building the 53-man roster

Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff speaks about the 53-man roster, some surprising standouts, and the work that was put in this offseason in finalizing who made the cut.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/thomas-dimitroff-talks-about-building-the-53-man-roster

I say this every year. Yes, yes you do. So do I. 

I'm excited every year too. I worry about the changes on offense. Are we trying to be all things? DK has referred this as the Shananhan offense, but is putting in bigger backs and bigger OL. Not getting away from outside zone, but trying to add more inside diversity to the running game. At what point do you lose your identity? Where is that anchor they need when the sledding gets tough and its time to reset. Are they "all gas, no brakes, fast and athletic," or are they 3 yards and a cloud of dust followed by deep PA throws?

My point is that if you put all the sound bites together, the offense is trying to be a lot of things. I can see it ending up as the perfect puzzle of speed and power. I can also see it ending up as a boat without a rudder. In a perfect world they install a game plan and redefine their identity every week. If you think about it, that is the Patriot way on offense. Roll out the pieces and plays each week that are a difficult fit for you opponent. 

I'm not predicting disaster. I'm just being real about my thoughts. I can see a path to less than desirable results. I can also see a path that matches TD's excitement in that video. 

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

I'm excited every year too. I worry about the changes on offense. Are we trying to be all things? DK has referred this as the Shananhan offense, but is putting in bigger backs and bigger OL. Not getting away from outside zone, but trying to add more inside diversity to the running game. At what point do you lose your identity? Where is that anchor they need when the sledding gets tough and its time to reset. Are they "all gas, no brakes, fast and athletic," or are they 3 yards and a cloud of dust followed by deep PA throws?

My point is that if you put all the sound bites together, the offense is trying to be a lot of things. I can see it ending up as the perfect puzzle of speed and power. I can also see it ending up as a boat without a rudder. In a perfect world they install a game plan and redefine their identity every week. If you think about it, that is the Patriot way on offense. Roll out the pieces and plays each week that are a difficult fit for you opponent. 

I'm not predicting disaster. I'm just being real about my thoughts. I can see a path to less than desirable results. I can also see a path that matches TD's excitement in that video. 

Understand your thoughts there.

For me all off season I’m on these coaches to get these guys to execute.

To me there’s enough talent on this team to match it with anyone.

The biggest move we’ve made this year isn’t personnel it’s the experienced coaches we’ve bought in to get guys to work on there strengths.DQ running the defense is a perfect example of that.

Offensively having Mularlkey Knapp and Koetter there I’m sure there will be a connected vision there Offensively.

If we fall over this year it won’t be the players it’ll be on the coaches for sure.

14 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I like TD, he couldn’t fire me up if he was really trying, I’m very much awake and alive.

TD needs to get off his bike this morning and go ahead and announce the Julio extension for him to fire me up.  And like you, I really like TD

4 hours ago, falcndave said:

I get the concern. The thing is, you have three OCs with massive amounts of experience in different forms. Koetter is undeniably one of the better pass attack creators in the league. Getting 5000 combined passing yards out of Fitz and Jameis is no small feat and we saw what he did while he was here. Only issue with Koetter was his lack of running the ball....

...where Mularkey is the opposite. Mularkey would rather a 60/40 or even a 70/30 run split on Sundays and he'll work to devise some creative run looks to get it. Exotic smash mouth. Getting Turner going like he did was no accident. Teams knew we'd lean on the running game with a rookie/young QB and they still couldn't stop it. He'll help maintain the balance and we've already seen the inside runs coming in preseason to a degree. Which takes a level of experience with the existing infrastructure....

....which is where Knapp comes in. We saw the improvement in the offense last year when they added Knapp. It was still jumbled, but there was some sense of rhyme and reason at times. Knapp may not have been the best OC on his own, but he's the only one of the three familiar with the current scheme and as QB Coach, he's worked with the biggest piece in this equation....

Matt Ryan. A lot of this wouldn't work if you didn't have an MVP caliber QB. The uncertainty would be very real. But when all three of these guys have already worked with Matt, knowing what he likes and dislikes, the marriage won't take long to recreate. At the very least, the passing attack will remain viable because of him. With him, the weapons, and the revamped OL, it should work. 

Should.

20 minutes ago, vel said:

I get the concern. The thing is, you have three OCs with massive amounts of experience in different forms. Koetter is undeniably one of the better pass attack creators in the league. Getting 5000 combined passing yards out of Fitz and Jameis is no small feat and we saw what he did while he was here. Only issue with Koetter was his lack of running the ball....

...where Mularkey is the opposite. Mularkey would rather a 60/40 or even a 70/30 run split on Sundays and he'll work to devise some creative run looks to get it. Exotic smash mouth. Getting Turner going like he did was no accident. Teams knew we'd lean on the running game with a rookie/young QB and they still couldn't stop it. He'll help maintain the balance and we've already seen the inside runs coming in preseason to a degree. Which takes a level of experience with the existing infrastructure....

....which is where Knapp comes in. We saw the improvement in the offense last year when they added Knapp. It was still jumbled, but there was some sense of rhyme and reason at times. Knapp may not have been the best OC on his own, but he's the only one of the three familiar with the current scheme and as QB Coach, he's worked with the biggest piece in this equation....

Matt Ryan. A lot of this wouldn't work if you didn't have an MVP caliber QB. The uncertainty would be very real. But when all three of these guys have already worked with Matt, knowing what he likes and dislikes, the marriage won't take long to recreate. At the very least, the passing attack will remain viable because of him. With him, the weapons, and the revamped OL, it should work. 

Should.

Here's hoping!  I just want to see them on the field.  Welcome to the slowest week of the year :)

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Folks may have not even clicked your thread due to calling it “Troffed” w/ #bikerhair. 

Gotta catch their attention. People like Toffed!

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

TD needs to get off his bike this morning and go ahead and announce the Julio extension for him to fire me up.  And like you, I really like TD

He's been busy, especially after the resigning of money Matt.

I'm not worried one bit. It's not like we are making wholesale changes to the offense, they just added a physical component upgrading the size and physicality of the oline as it translates to the run game. This has been the one area lacking on this offense for a minute against front sevens like philly's. Really short yardage/goal line has been an issue in almost every game, now it aint.

The falcons basically added a small component to their existing philosophy versus retooling the whole thing.

gazoo likes this

I don't think any teams going to put out a video saying hey we're going to stink this year but come to the games anyways.

4 hours ago, vel said:

Should.

I think Morris is the voice behind the curtains that nobody talks about but they should.  Since he has been our pass game coordinator/WR Coach, Ryan has been elite of the elite.  And our receivers have been dominant as well.  He knows the Shanny/Falcons playbook as well as anyone and should be a voice of reason when the gameplan is being devised

vel likes this

9 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Good interview from TD didn’t necessarily fire me up but I love how he perceives the team this year

You know what fired me up? The improvements that I felt strongly we needed, such as across the offensive line and the bigger guys making a marked difference in preseason and coaching staff changes,  DQ taking back over defense.....everything he mentioned I’ve seen actually happening. 

So it’s not just what he said, it’s what he said aligning perfectly with what I thought we needed after end of last season, and what I’ve witnessed happen on the field. 

The offseason plan showed up on the field splendidly. I anticipate a strong season, a playoff run and potentially a Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Fired up I’ll raise Gazoos initial interview with this.

Great podcast!

they talked a lot about the nastiness of the linemen and how they really made an effort to bring that in this offseason.

I have been complaining about our lines getting abused in critical game situations  for years which is why I noticed this before the draft .

Ergo Proxy and kiwifalcon like this

On 9/1/2019 at 3:14 AM, falcndave said:

I was going to make a new thread about my feelings after week 1. Upon further review, they haven't changed. This quote pretty much sums them up. I'm not sure the sky is falling, but...

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I was going to make a new thread about my feelings after week 1. Upon further review, they haven't changed. This quote pretty much sums them up. I'm not sure the sky is falling, but...

Disappointed at how under done we looked.Being exploited on the ground against a run game our dline has seen all off season has my head spinning.

On 9/1/2019 at 2:12 AM, gazoo said:

Thomas Dimitroff talks about building the 53-man roster

Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff speaks about the 53-man roster, some surprising standouts, and the work that was put in this offseason in finalizing who made the cut.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/thomas-dimitroff-talks-about-building-the-53-man-roster

How's that fire now?