Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Regardless of the 53 chosen, there's only 2 positions in question on the whole team imo. Both of them I'm moderately concerned about.

#1 concern is CB, specifically Oliver. Please don't get me wrong in thinking that I'm down on him. I just don't have any trust yet. I can't say he dispelled those concerns in preseason nor can I say he enhanced them. The good thing is our pass rush has dispelled concerns and that ultimately will help him. Btw not concerned about Tru. This is also why I believe we can't get rid of Wreh-Wilson. Our only veteran backup CB.

#2 concern is RT, specifically early on. I think overtime we can get McGary up to speed conditionally and he will do fine. Early on I think Koetter will have to do some work to take care of whomever starts there even if it's McGary. It has to change at some point because over time defenses will key in on what is being left open by that scheme adjustment.

Every other position I am completely comfortable with. Of course injuries play a huge part in that dynamic changing. 

I'm curious if AFMB feels the same, better, or worse and why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I am not worried about RT with game planning.

I think it’s the DL which will make or break the defense. Run Defense is gonna be key.  

This. Thankfully Davison, Cominsky at DE, Bailey at DT or DE, and Grady can all stop the run pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I am not worried about RT with game planning.

I think it’s the DL which will make or break the defense. Run Defense is gonna be key.  

All year long or just early on?

I think early on for sure game planning will help out RT tremendously, but can we expect to keep progressing with game planning all season long?

I say no personally and am cautiously optimistic that Mcgary will be up to speed by midseason so we don't have to gameplan in that fashion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

This. Thankfully Davison, Cominsky at DE, Bailey at DT or DE, and Grady can all stop the run pretty well.

I appreciate the name change but isn't pretty great that we don't have so many concerns on our team roster this year?

I feel like we had that last year but obviously we are a lot more prepared with depth in certain spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

All year long or just early on?

I think early on for sure game planning will help out RT tremendously, but can we expect to keep progressing with game planning all season long?

I say no personally and am cautiously optimistic that Mcgary will be up to speed by midseason so we don't have to gameplan in that fashion.

I am comfortable with Ty and even Gono with game planning. It will be far better than the garbage play we got from RT last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that Oliver hasn't shown me enough to feel 100% about him being a NFL starter, but I also believe he will get a lot of help from the rest of the defense, because it's about as stacked talent-wise as any Falcons D ever has been.  

Now let's just hope they execute and stay healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Not worried about CB at all. Oliver will ball. 

McGary or Gono will hold down RT. May take a few weeks before the line gels.

So it sounds like you're all systems go for every position unless there's another position of concern for you. That's rare and I want to be there with you brother. I could be by week 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

So it sounds like you're all systems go for every position unless there's another position of concern for you. That's rare and I want to be there with you brother. I could be by week 6.

Only concern for me is how fast RT gets up to speed. If this O-line becomes cohesive quickly.......this will be an awesome year. My only other concern is keeping the injury bug away. Can't lose 4 starters again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Only concern for me is how fast RT gets up to speed. If this O-line becomes cohesive quickly.......this will be an awesome year. My only other concern is keeping the injury bug away. Can't lose 4 starters again.

For sure man and even then depending on the position I think we're better prepared.

If it's on the DL or WR (not 4 of course), then I feel good.

If it's in the secondary, then that's scarier.

If it's OL, then that's moderately scary.

I do feel really good about this season which is really why I created the thread. How many times can we say we have concerns about at most 2 positions. It may not have come across that way though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

For sure man and even then depending on the position I think we're better prepared.

If it's on the DL or WR (not 4 of course), then I feel good.

If it's in the secondary, then that's scarier.

If it's OL, then that's moderately scary.

I do feel really good about this season which is really why I created the thread. How many times can we say we have concerns about at most 2 positions. It may not have come across that way though.

Ya...I thought last years roster was the best. But this front office took it to another level this year. This is the best roster in the Falcons history, depth and talent wise. If they can form that chemistry like the previous Super Bowl teams, then we are in line for a Lombardi.

Defensive line has been great, which I didn't exactly see coming. If Beasley can live up to his hype, the defense will be unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Yeah, hopefully Oliver will do good for us but he has been struggling in limited time in preseason 

I haven't heard a thing about Oliver struggling??? In fact, there was thread made about how no one has been mentioning Oliver at all, which is a good thing. Means he's doing his job well. 

Edited by OilFuturesTrader19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You people worry to much Oliver is no worries if highly doubt if he wasnt ready that Quinn would have he as a starter. I trust Quinn and i think yall need to start trusting him more too. I havent seen nothing to have concerns about him in preseason he got beat twice on a back shoulder throw which is a impossible play to stop and a throw that was right on the money he had perfect position. When we drafted him people were so excited now he his obvious proven to Quinn that he can start and now yall scared smh it's crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not worried about RT. Cornerback could be an issue, but I'm not expecting our CB's or any other team's to never give up a reception or a TD. Our pass rush will help take some of the heat off our CB's.

My concern is ST's. Not the FG unit obviously now with Money Matt back, but kick-off and punt-return teams. Didn't see much in preseason to be encouraged about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we've added depth and made personnel changes up front on both sides to feel pretty comfortable. Defensive backfield and depth at corner is the most concerning. Oliver is a question mark but Robert Alford will probably have two interference calls for Arizona this week even on Injured Reserve.

My biggest concern is Bob Sutton's role as Senior Assistant and in-game manager. It makes sense to me what Quinn is doing. He was coaching the defense when Kyle Shanahan was passing the ball on consecutive downs during our infamous Super Bowl gaffe. Hiring Sutton makes Quinn available as defensive coordinator. Sutton's responsibilities are not different from the other 31 head coaches come game day.

Who knows, maybe Quinn even starts a trend in the NFL with head coaches responsibilities come game day. Anyone know of any other team taking this approach and having a coach that is responsible for clock management, time outs, in game strategy and replays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Not worried about CB at all. Oliver will ball. 

McGary or Gono will hold down RT. May take a few weeks before the line gels.

I too believe and have seen a big change in our Defense already with just vanilla schemes in the preseason.. Imo Quinn is good as advertised running a Defense, im confident itll run as well as anyone could imagine. Passrush, lb'ers, secondary will be stout as a whole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I too believe and have seen a big change in our Defense already with just vanilla schemes in the preseason.. Imo Quinn is good as advertised running a Defense, im confident itll run as well as anyone could imagine. Passrush, lb'ers, secondary will be stout as a whole

Exactly. DL will help the back end much more this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BirdGangATL said:

Yeah, hopefully Oliver will do good for us but he has been struggling in limited time in preseason 

Struggling how? I only recall one pass being caught on him and that was a back shoulder. The hardest pass to defend. He had a PI. Besides that he didn’t give up a TD. The starting defense was in the 20 percentile on 3rd downs and gave up no TD’s. Where was the struggle? Seems like if he was struggling he would’ve kept getting attacked. I saw no such thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...