70 posts in this topic

Man I can't wait till he gets all the way up to speed. I figured he would be back in time for the season but the time missed and the cardio were my concerns. If it wasn't for the cardio part, I'd say trot him out there week one. 

4 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

He looked pretty good. Hope he gets reps against better talent.... that will tell the story. But he was actually my favorite pick this year.

Agree, but his technique is flawless. That is a polished kid. I love the arm extension, he’s agile and great field awareness.

@Vandy @Knight of God and @FalconsIn2020

7 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Agree, but his technique is flawless. That is a polished kid. I love the arm extension, he’s agile and great field awareness.

I'm not as adept at breaking down line play as I am other units, never played on either line except some nose guard in the early pop warner days. But I agree and feel the same about Lindstrom too. In my limited view of oline play they both seem very solid in technique and fundamentals.

Do you agree and see Lindstrom in the same way?

MSalmon likes this

29 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Speed rushers will be his test when they set him up for outside chop & cross face him and see how he holds his balance.

What we saw is guys trying to go down town on him in the Baldinger review no chance once he’s anchored and got at least one arm inside he’s got you.

I want to see when speed rushers half man him and attack his outside arm.

Hopefully getting a look at VB 44 all off season has given him a good clue how the mentioned will attack him.

5 minutes ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

I'm not as adept at breaking down line play as I am other units, never played on either line except some nose guard in the early pop warner days. But I agree and feel the same about Lindstrom too. In my limited view of oline play they both seem very solid in technique and fundamentals.

Do you agree and see Lindstrom in the same way?

I do. I see Lindstrom in the same vein. He’s incredibly polished. I really like the way he pulls. Great feet. I see all pro potential in both Lindstrom and McGary tbh. 

@kiwifalconis an OL expert. I’ll let him elaborate 

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Speed rushers will be his test when they set him up for outside cop cross face and see how he holds his balance.

What we saw is guys trying to go down town on him in the Ballinger review.

I want to see when speed rushers half man him and attack his outside arm.

Hopefully getting a look at VB 44 all off season has given him a good clue how the mentioned will attack him.

True, but most RTs and many LTs struggle against speed rushers. Yiu have to chip them with an extra back. No doubt that he could struggle, but watching him use his length and the sheer agility he has is pretty remarkable and shows great promise

kiwifalcon and Tim Mazetti like this

7 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

True, but most RTs and many LTs struggle against speed rushers. Yiu have to chip them with an extra back. No doubt that he could struggle, but watching him use his length and the sheer agility he has is pretty remarkable and shows great promise

We’ll see I’m just hoping with a guy like Beasley and Takk going against him in TC he gets a look at the best of both worlds speed and power as we have variation on the edge.

Don’t get me wrong here I’m loving what i see from both our draft picks and throw in Gono Fark me good times for the Falcons.

2 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

but watching him use his length and the sheer agility he has is pretty remarkable and shows great promise

Just what this team needed.......and it seems they got two.

Well worth a third rounder to move up to get him so far. Absolutely had to have him.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

We’ll see I’m just hoping with a guy like Beasley and Takk going against him in TC he gets a look at the best of both worlds speed and power as we have variation on the edge.

Don’t get me wrong here I’m loving what i see from both our draft picks and throw in Gono Fark me good times for the Falcons.

You’re spot on btw. I do think the actual commitment to run (if regular season mimics preseason) will help. Ollison is probably my favorite addition because he’s punishing. And just ramming that ball down speedrushers is the way to go

10 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I do. I see Lindstrom in the same vein. He’s incredibly polished. I really like the way he pulls. Great feet. I see all pro potential in both Lindstrom and McGary tbh. 

No expert here.

For me when I watch olineman I have a look at 2 basic things hands to the inside and if they give up ground on the initial hit from the opposing d-lineman and how he sits that power down basically dropping his hips and anchoring.Hands to the inside for control.

Thats basically what I watch most obviously there’s the coordination of hands and feet but I try not to over complicate it though I’m sure there’s a **** of a lot more too it.

MSalmon and Tim Mazetti like this

26 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

The line has been upgraded on both sides. I got nothing to say except, the secondary is still meh

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Just what this team needed.......and it seems they got two.

Well worth a third rounder to move up to get him so far. Absolutely had to have him.

Agree. I’d like to see us draft a G who can play C next year

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

The line has been upgraded on both sides. I got nothing to say except, the secondary is still meh

Yeah, I’m not sold on secondary. I still think Sheffield is a a FS

6 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

You’re spot on btw. I do think the actual commitment to run (if regular season mimics preseason) will help. Ollison is probably my favorite addition because he’s punishing. And just ramming that ball down speedrushers is the way to go

Running the football is exactly what you want to do especially outside zone behind a McGary or pulling him across the formation,he doesn’t need an excuse to want to hit people now your going to run behind me,licks lips I can see him now whose eating it this play and it allows him to finish guys off dropping 320 on them he’ll lap that **** up every play if he could.

6 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Cool, thanks. I see the same things you do about both the kids, just wanted to confirm. Plus, both play with the right kind of nastiness and edge, within the boundries of the game. Many NFL o linemen get beat in the head by an opponent that pokes and prods a little here and there until they piss the guy off, and he loses it. Both seem to have that aspect of the mental game in hand.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Me too. Gono included. Heck, I've been impressed with the play of the oline as a unit down to the lowest string scrub. I cant remember ever in my falcon fan life seeing a non starting falcon oline play this well in the preseason. Usually it's a trainwreck after the starters leave, not this season.

IMO Mularkey coming in is a factor, along with the level  of talent infused by two FA's and two 1st rounders, but along with the dline the oline depth is getting stronger due to the work put in to Quinn's plan "D". 

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

That's my only concern now too is we are one injury away at cb from having little to no experience back there. Which the way the pass rush is looking has me feeling a little better about it, but still, unlike 2016 if Tru goes down there is no Alford to help offset that loss.

Barring injury though I am good with the secondary as is.

56 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

He looked pretty good. Hope he gets reps against better talent.... that will tell the story. But he was actually my favorite pick this year.

My fav pick as well. He’s a brawler with good technique as well. As you know, very rare skills for a college kid these days.

29 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

No expert here.

For me when I watch olineman I have a look at 2 basic things hands to the inside and if they give up ground on the initial hit from the opposing d-lineman and how he sits that power down basically dropping his hips and anchoring.Hands to the inside for control.

Thats basically what I watch most obviously there’s the coordination of hands and feet but I try not to over complicate it though I’m sure there’s a **** of a lot more too it.

It is nice to be able to learn more about the game.:tiphat:

ATLskinjob and kiwifalcon like this