Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdz4i

Watch: Former Oregon Duck Tony Brooks-James runs wild for the Atlanta Falcons

11 posts in this topic

Today 10:00 AM
Tony Brooks-James

AP

Atlanta Falcons running back and former Oregon Ducks' star Tony Brooks-James ran for 137 yards and two touchdowns during the Falcons' win over the Jacksonville Jaguars in a preseason game Thursday night. (AP Photo/Stephen B. Morton)

Tony Brooks-James is likely on the roster bubble for the Atlanta Falcons, but the running back and former Oregon Ducks’ star gave the coaching staff something to think about as roster cutdown day approaches.

Brooks-James posted a huge game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Thursday night, running for 137 yards and two touchdowns in the Falcons’ 31-12 win in the final preseason game.

Brooks, who signed with the Falcons as an undrafted free agent in May following an impressive performance at their rookie minicamp, provided the highlight of the night with a 52-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter. Watch

Brooks-James also accounted for 35 yards during the Falcons’ 10-play, 79-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Brooks-James ran five times for 35 yards, including going up the middle for the final 15 yards and a touchdown to give the Falcons a 14-0 lead. Watch

The performance was Brooks-James’ best of the preseason and his production couldn’t have come at a better time. Brooks-James ran the football 15 times in the game, more than he had in the first three preseason games combined. Clearly, the Falcons coaches wanted to get a good look at James and he didn’t disappoint.

“The speed. Sometimes you’re looking for traits out of a position,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn told reporters after the game. “It was good to see him go in this moment.”

The reports out of Atlanta indicate that it’s likely Brooks-James will be cut when initial 53-man rosters must be finalized by the deadline on Saturday at 1 p.m. PT, there’s a strong chance he could be signed to the Falcons’ practice squad.

-- Geoffrey C. Arnold | @geoffreyCarnold

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/08/watch-former-oregon-duck-tony-brooks-james-runs-wild-for-the-atlanta-falcons.html

FalconsZone7 likes this

The biggest standout in the game for me. A really impressive young man that was very exciting to watch. Quick and fast with excellent vision. Good luck to you young man!

FalconsZone7 likes this

1 hour ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Man I wanna keep him over Hill . When it really should be Free, Smith , Ollison & Him . 

We may be trying to trade Hill.  Don’t rule it out just yet.  Not sure we didn’t use TBJ on punt/kick returns more.

FalconsZone7 likes this

I'd like to keep TBJ. Barner is short-term...

I don't see Hill & Ollison on this team together for many years.

Just gotta wait on the cuts tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

Why would you cut TBJ???

He's young and fast and obviously has talent to play in the league. Devonta Freeman is getting up there in age and has injuries, good with Ollison, good with Ito, but Barner is getting older too and Hill is not running better or is faster than TBJ.

Why risk losing someone with higher upside by cutting him to keep guys with more downside/lower ceiling????

If you put him on PS, that's risky too.....as happened with Hill, who did not flash in the preseason like TBJ has, and was still poached.

I just don't get it. Need to think for the future. Sometimes everything isn't always about today. I don't think the risk of his inexperience trumps the reward of his potential development. Keep him!!

Edited by OilFuturesTrader19
Jen likes this

8 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Man I wanna keep him over Hill . When it really should be Free, Smith , Ollison & Him . 

Agreed. I really dont get the Hill love at all.

6 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Agreed. I really dont get the Hill love at all.

He's shown some improvement over his first two seasons but I agree, I don't get it either.  In my opinion Ollison showed us much more than Hill.  

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

He's shown some improvement over his first two seasons but I agree, I don't get it either.  In my opinion Ollison showed us much more than Hill.  

Exactly. Hes improved  from rubbish to average. He does nothing better than Ollison, who is just a rookie.