Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
birdz4i

Falcons mulling right tackle decision after seeing Kaleb McGary play Thursday

15 hours ago, falcons007 said:

McGary said he wasn’t sure he could have played the whole game after spending much of the summer off the field. That will be one of the considerations that goes into whether he, Ty Sambrailo or Matt Gono gets the nod against the Vikings.

He did look tired towards the end. Something which could give the start to Ty.

*Gono

15 hours ago, gazoo said:

That’s what I was saying last night after the game, you have to work McGary in. There is no substitution for game reps, he needs to be on the field and work his way back to full conditioning. Even if he just plays second half or 4th quarter game 1.

I think that’s the most prudent way to go about it.

We shouldn’t be in any rush to get him in there.I have zero doubt that down track he’ll be the full time starter.

My prediction:  Gono will start against the Vikings.  But he will quickly get beat a couple times, stalling out our offense.  When it is clear that Gono is geating beat anyways, we'll bring in McGary to see what he can do.  He won't be any worse than Gono.

The problem is we don't have anyone who will play RT at a high level in week 1.  So as soon as Gono (or god forbid Sombrero) has a bad game it makes since to put McGary in there so he can start getting experience.

22 hours ago, Osiruz said:

I am afraid he wont start right away as he played in the dreaded game 5. I think the starter is most likely either Sombrero or Gono, with Caleb coming in later in the season. Similarly I think they got Hill favored over Q Ollison even though to me Ollison is a much better player. Ollison will get snatched up right away on PS.  

He probably won't start but it's not because he played in the last game of the preseason.

He played in the last game of the preseason because he hadn't had game action due to the cardiac ablation.

I'm 100% certain that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

'Start v. Play' does not mean he won't or can't, or shouldn't, play a significant amount of snaps in game 1 and beyond.  Let the coaches decide if, and when, he is ready to start a game; regardless, I bet he'll play as many snaps as they feel he has earned and is able to handle every week

9 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

My prediction:  Gono will start against the Vikings.  But he will quickly get beat a couple times, stalling out our offense.  When it is clear that Gono is geating beat anyways, we'll bring in McGary to see what he can do.  He won't be any worse than Gono.

The problem is we don't have anyone who will play RT at a high level in week 1.  So as soon as Gono (or god forbid Sombrero) has a bad game it makes since to put McGary in there so he can start getting experience.

Gono looked good against some real competition vs WAS. Not sure why you think he will get beat so bad.

i do agree KM will take the job at some point, and rightfully so if he can continue THUR style of play.

12 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Gono looked good against some real competition vs WAS. Not sure why you think he will get beat so bad.

i do agree KM will take the job at some point, and rightfully so if he can continue THUR style of play.

I agree. I think many just want McGary to start. Gono is solid enough.  Cant be any worse than Schreader or sambrillo. 

Gano might not be the run blocker mcgary is but all around hes decent. 

11 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think that’s the most prudent way to go about it.

We shouldn’t be in any rush to get him in there.I have zero doubt that down track he’ll be the full time starter.

Everything's going to be just fine. All our opinions don't matter in the end. Quinn and the coaches will give him as many reps as he's able to play at a high level until he's fully fit. He'll be in there for the whole game within a few weeks at most.

He'll gain his stamina back on the practice field.  He'll gain experience from playing in actual games but I don't think he's ready for elite NFL level play just yet.  If anything, just bring him on the field on heavy Oline sets.