With So Many Young Guys, Clayborn Expendable

14 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Why do we always want to cut productive vets over younger unproven guys? I can see if they weren't producing anymore, but the "They old and he's younger" crowd has become annoying.

This is a theme all across every sport across the country....people are more interested in what "could be" than going with what they already have a good idea about. Thats why people gamble right?

I doubt myself the Falcons go UDFA over Clayborn in a roster spot myself

He costs us less than Schweitzer...just under 2 mil on the cap.  He is a MAJOR piece of our rotation, and having him come off the edge, and work inside on special packages on a pass rush is extremely beneficial, and Quinn will create those opportunities for him.  No way this is even considered.

IMHO We want to get to the SB. We must have a win-now attitude! I like the young but we can't take a few outstanding performances in preseason and get too giddy about that. We are in a very tough division, we are not rebuilding  We need it NOW. We know Clay can rush the passer. Why mess with our assets. We are finally building some quality depth but some want to chop away at that in an injury plagued NFL SMH.

7 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Clayborn is 31 years old.  At DE, Bailey is the better run stopper.  At DT, we have several better run stoppers plus Crawford is a better pass rusher when it comes to sacks.

First 7 season

Clayborn 30 sacks

Crawford 15.5 sacks with 6 of those being last year and his absolute best year ever. 

41 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

First 7 season

Clayborn 30 sacks

Crawford 15.5 sacks with 6 of those being last year and his absolute best year ever. 

In their last 58 games:

Crawford: .27 sacks per game

Clayborn:  .32 sacks per game

They are both solid pass rushers.  Slight edge to Clay, but Crawford is still trending up.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

On their last 58 games:

Crawford: .27 sacks per game

Clayborn:  .32 sacks per game

They are both solid pass rushers.  Slight edge to Clay, but Crawford is still trending up.

Mahomes last 16 games have been amazing, should we continue to expect that?

He had one good outlier year and yall wanna crown him. Just like yall wanna crown Hill.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Cause 16 games and 58 are same/similar?

I thought I'd pick a ridiculous stat too since you went back and looked at Crawfords first year with a sack and used that as the cut off.

So I used Mahomes first good year as the cut off. Is that not fair? :munch:

2 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Why do we always want to cut productive vets over younger unproven guys? I can see if they weren't producing anymore, but the "They old and he's younger" crowd has become annoying.

It’s called the recency effect by psychologists. It goes like this: I hardly saw Clayborn play this pre-season, but this Larkin guy, who played against backups and backups to the backups, looked good on a few plays in a few games, so now I like him more than Clayborn.

Thank goodness actual football people are making the decisions. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

I love when fans complain about other teams adding pass rushers when they already have some and we want to hang our hats on Cominsky and Larkin? Lol

"Teams X, Y, Z stay adding pass rushers and we just sit on our hands"

"Hey we should cut the pass rushing FA we signed this offseason because one dude had a career year last year for us so he must be doing it from now on and we also got that one guy who balled against backups, he's solid now too"

3 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

"Teams X, Y, Z stay adding pass rushers and we just sit on our hands"

"Hey we should cut the pass rushing FA we signed this offseason because one dude had a career year last year for us so he must be doing it from now on and we also got that one guy who balled against backups, he's solid now too"

They cried like babies that we didn't have a fifth round pick to get 32 year old Michael Bennett but want to cut Clayborn because he's 31? Yea. Stupid. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

They cried like babies that we didn't have a fifth round pick to get 32 year old Michael Bennett but want to cut Clayborn because he's 31? Yea. Stupid. 

Exactly. I love the deep line Quinn is building. He's definitely trying to have a bunch of guys with 450-550 snaps like in Seattle. Keeps our line from being tired at the end of games.

Just now, TD_Lover said:

Exactly. I love the deep line Quinn is building. He's definitely trying to have a bunch of guys with 450-550 snaps like in Seattle. Keeps our line from being tired at the end of games.

Exactly. For the first time, we are actually two full rotations deep of NFL players and they want to change that lol. For Austin Larkin. Imagine going into the playoffs hoping for a big game from Larkin. Like come on. I'm all for player development, but that's going WAY out on a limb. 

Just now, vel said:

Exactly. For the first time, we are actually two full rotations deep of NFL players and they want to change that lol. For Austin Larkin. Imagine going into the playoffs hoping for a big game from Larkin. Like come on. I'm all for player development, but that's going WAY out on a limb. 

Exactly. I want to keep Larkin don't get me wrong but **** not at the expense of Clay.