Jump to content

With So Many Young Guys, Clayborn Expendable


Recommended Posts

After losing Stephen Means to injury, the Falcons' DE lineup appeared thin.   So Bailey was signed.

Now that preseason is over, the Falcons appear to have a new problem.... too many DEs with only so many spots available.   Which is why I think DQ should release Adrian Clayborn.

Clayborn is 31 years old.  At DE, Bailey is the better run stopper.  At DT, we have several better run stoppers plus Crawford is a better pass rusher when it comes to sacks.

I don't dispute Clayborn can still play.  I do think we have other options now, plus several young guys with intriguing potential who I don't want us to lose.  With only five D linemen signed thru 2020, and several new options, I think Clayborn is expendable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, red falcon said:

We got constant pressure throughout the preseason.  I wouldnt be upset if they let him go. They have to keep Larkin.

Every preseason projection of our 53 man roster that I see, lists AC as a keeper.  Whether its here or the Falcoholic…..whatever.

I like AC and what he brings to the team.  At this point, there are only so many snaps to be had.   Bailey, Crawford, Beasley, Davison....they are going to get thiers.  How much would AC play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, egoprime II said:

Every preseason projection of our 53 man roster that I see, lists AC as a keeper.  Whether its here or the Falcoholic…..whatever.

I like AC and what he brings to the team.  At this point, there are only so many snaps to be had.   Bailey, Crawford, Beasley, Davison....they are going to get thiers.  How much would AC play?

I'm not sure bro but hes no spring chicken I'm not sure of his salary either. Whatever option will help us win it this season is what I want. AC did get some good pressure. Larkin as well though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Every preseason projection of our 53 man roster that I see, lists AC as a keeper.  Whether its here or the Falcoholic…..whatever.

I like AC and what he brings to the team.  At this point, there are only so many snaps to be had.   Bailey, Crawford, Beasley, Davison....they are going to get thiers.  How much would AC play?

I'm not sure bro but hes no spring chicken I'm not sure of his salary either. Whatever option will help us win it this season is what I want. AC did get some good pressure. Larkin as well though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Every preseason projection of our 53 man roster that I see, lists AC as a keeper.  Whether its here or the Falcoholic…..whatever.

I like AC and what he brings to the team.  At this point, there are only so many snaps to be had.   Bailey, Crawford, Beasley, Davison....they are going to get thiers.  How much would AC play?

A lot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

After losing Stephen Means to injury, the Falcons' DE lineup appeared thin.   So Bailey was signed.

Now that preseason is over, the Falcons appear to have a new problem.... too many DEs with only so many spots available.   Which is why I think DQ should release Adrian Clayborn.

Clayborn is 31 years old.  At DE, Bailey is the better run stopper.  At DT, we have several better run stoppers plus Crawford is a better pass rusher when it comes to sacks.

I don't dispute Clayborn can still play.  I do think we have other options now, plus several young guys with intriguing potential who I don't want us to lose.  With only five D linemen signed thru 2020, and several new options, I think Clayborn is expendable.

Clay is a good run stopper too. But the thing y’all not factoring is the different packages. Davidson is a run stopper 1st and foremost. Clayborn next to takk in nickel is deadly. They’re not gonna let clay go and Larkin will still make the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Every preseason projection of our 53 man roster that I see, lists AC as a keeper.  Whether its here or the Falcoholic…..whatever.

I like AC and what he brings to the team.  At this point, there are only so many snaps to be had.   Bailey, Crawford, Beasley, Davison....they are going to get thiers.  How much would AC play?

As much as any of them. I'm sure that DQ wants to do with the DLine what he did as a DC in Seattle when Seattle won a Lombardi. That year, he had 8 DLinemen, they all played between 450-550 snaps, one played a few more. DQ wants to do that here. Have a solid rotation, keep everybody fresh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Clay is a good run stopper too. But the thing y’all not factoring is the different packages. Davidson is a run stopper 1st and foremost. Clayborn next to takk in nickel is deadly. They’re not gonna let clay go and Larkin will still make the team. 

Yup. Clay ain’t going anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Clay is a good run stopper too. But the thing y’all not factoring is the different packages. Davidson is a run stopper 1st and foremost. Clayborn next to takk in nickel is deadly. They’re not gonna let clay go and Larkin will still make the team. 

This is the one thing people often forget.  Scheme, packages, and Q has said this since he's been here, "I want our guys to stay fresh". Good post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Clay is a good run stopper too. But the thing y’all not factoring is the different packages. Davidson is a run stopper 1st and foremost. Clayborn next to takk in nickel is deadly. They’re not gonna let clay go and Larkin will still make the team. 

Larkin isn’t gonna replace Clay. I love Bailey and toughness he brings but he is more run stopper than Pass rusher. The NASCAR package with Vic, Grady, Clay and Takk should be good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get it. We finally look like we might generate a good amount of pressure and you suggest we get rid of one of the better pass rushers we have? 

How about we keep our stable of D Line guys and find out what combinations give us the best chance to stop the run and rush the passer? Because I guarantee you Clayborn will be in the mix for one if not both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Injuries happens and he’s a solid vet who gives everything.

cut from another position. Gimme 15 DL for all I care. I want our DL to finally be dominant 

Absolutely.  You have a successful defensive line when you can rotate fresh legs late in the game.  

With all the talent we've piled up at Flowery Branch, this is not the time to assume you can just let good vets go.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is stupid. Yall complain about a pass rush then think we should let a good pass rusher go because we have depth now? I don't care if Clayborn is the 10th DL they keep, keep him. Larkin nor Cominsky are better than Clayborn so if you think keeping them in place of Clayborn is smart.... Smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, vel said:

This is stupid. Yall complain about a pass rush then think we should let a good pass rusher go because we have depth now? I don't care if Clayborn is the 10th DL they keep, keep him. Larkin nor Cominsky are better than Clayborn so if you think keeping them in place of Clayborn is smart.... Smh

Welcome to TAFT. Abandon all logic all ye who enter here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...