Does Etling's Performance Allow Us To Cut Schaub?

No. He doesn’t know the system yet and schaub helps Matt prepare for games. There’s a whole lot more to schaub and the backup qb position than just the backup qb. He actually tells Matt what he sees or saw when Matt comes off the field. Etling is nowhere near ready for that. But he’s a keeper. He can learn the system from schaub and THEN part ways with him after the season and let him be Matt’s understudy until he hangs it up. 

No. Love his scramble ability and short range throws, looks really comfortable with slants and west coast concepts, but his deep ball and a lot of mid range throws are not close to ready

He has got more than enough upside for me to want to see him make it for us. Ideal would be PS, would be ok with him making the 53.

1 hour ago, MattM12 said:

No. Love his scramble ability and short range throws, looks really comfortable with slants and west coast concepts, but his deep ball and a lot of mid range throws are not close to ready

He has got more than enough upside for me to want to see him make it for us. Ideal would be PS, would be ok with him making the 53.

Agree he needs work on the deep & mid range passes, but he looks to have the arm strength to make them. He's also only been here for a couple of weeks. i think that a year in the system and he'll look really good.

No. HeIl. No. I don't get the appeal still. Several poor throws. Mechanics are bad. I mean the kid almost overthrew a wide open screen pass. I'm not enamored by the running. Make your throws. Show some anticipation. He did make a couple solid throws, but he's a QB so I expect that. I just am not impressed. Hope they don't tie any long term hopes to him. 

3 hours ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, not this year, but next. Next year should be an interesting battle between Benkert and Etling for the back up job.

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

This is not the year to cut Shaub...  This is our year, we need him,, to be a dependable backup.. we couldn't get someone as good as him,, SO NO!!

Agreed.  But I will say, that Etling (aka The Real White Vick) has a set of wheels on him.  He was dancing all over the field last night and it was fun to watch.