Coaching Changes on Offense and Defense

gazoo

As preseason winds down and I see the offense and defense tightening up, its clear to me both sides of the ball have better coaching from last year.

i knew it was going to take the offense some time with all the changes, and tonight they were all in sync like a well oiled machine. The blocking schemes in running and passing game, including the TEs, RBs and WRs, were fantastic across the board. Great movement, pulling, blitz pickups, sound blocking fundamentals, precise timing on routes and ball delivery .......make no mistake about it, Keotter, Mularkey and Knapp have got the offense on the same page.

The defense looks totally different from last year. It got better and better at gap discipline, better and better at plugging up the LOS in running game, and we look really good in pressuring the QB and blowing up the OLs in passing situations. Our DL is deeper than it’s been in a really long time. Our LBs are studs and secondary is tight.

Coaching makes a difference and I really like what I see right now compared to last year. I still expect some hiccups the first few games, but I also expect they will get cleaned up quickly and not linger into later games.

7 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I was praising the coaching results on the DL especially

Fast and well coached. DQ..

Looks like completely different defense from last year. Aggressive, mean and tenacious. Our DL is blowing up other teams OLs in game situations it used to fold in past years. 3rd and long our DL used to disappear, now it’s a pack of junkyard dogs attacking so ferociously the offense has no chance.

Just now, gazoo said:

Looks like completely different defense from last year. Aggressive, mean and tenacious. Our DL is blowing up other teams OLs in game situations it used to fold in past years. 3rd and long our DL used to disappear, now it’s a pack of junkyard dogs attacking so ferociously the offense has no chance.

Big change. The Jags were overwhelmed.

Five preseason games? No.

An expertly run TC.

Well OK. I think that coaching definitely made a difference on defense. They're more up tempo, aggressive etc.

But on Offense I still think it's the beef that we have on the line that is the main difference. The pulling plays are really nothing new. They just looked better when you have bigger men who can run and carve out some open space for the RBs.

ROFL. This is beyond laughable. 10 points against the Jets, 10 Against the Broncos. 7 against the Skins. Somehow a few people on this thread are ready to deem this offense ready. Lets have a parade and "in your face Sark people"!!!

And before you say "it's preseason you can't count those poor scores", then you also can't count the good ones either because...."preseason". Can't wait to hear your excuses about how the Oline let Matt down when he played agsint Wash and NYJ. Oh you mean like last season under Sark where the Oline was a dumpster fire?? 

6 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Sark defenders lol. Coaching makes a world of difference and this team may actually be better than 2016. Just gotta stay healthy 

Yeah, blame it all on Sark. Obviously, his hands were tied some with the dumpster fire OL he was given. Really like Koetter, BSU Guy by the way, but he has a lot more options because the OL was addressed big time this off season.  

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

ROFL. This is beyond laughable. 10 points against the Jets, 10 Against the Broncos. 7 against the Skins. Somehow a few people on this thread are ready to deem this offense ready. Lets have a parade and "in your face Sark people"!!!

And before you say "it's preseason you can't count those poor scores", then you also can't count the good ones either because...."preseason". Can't wait to hear your excuses about how the Oline let Matt down when he played agsint Wash and NYJ. Oh you mean like last season under Sark where the Oline was a dumpster fire?? 

There is no analysis in your post, it’s just whining and pointing to the score.

The main point of the thread is about the coaching. I’m talking about seeing the team gelling, seeing everything tightening up as preseason went on.

Of course the OL struggled at times, I completely expected that with the injuries, new coaches and 3 new OL starters and several new backups.

As far as the OL, what I wanted to see was progress, and for the OL what excites me most is McGary looked fantastic last night and RT was our weakest area this preseason. Lindstrom looks fantastic. Did he make some mistakes, especially when Mack was out Jets were throwing the kitchen sink at an OL that hadn’t prepared for that. Of course.  Greg Williams was being a real prick but that was great experience for the young guys.

They know they need to communicate better. Making mistakes as you gel  is completely different than getting beat physically. Matthews and Mack were rusty too, but if you want to think they are going to play that way all year and ignore the situation so you can cry like a little baby than carry on without me.

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The Quinn effect on the defense is glaringly positive. 

I can't wait to see the starting defense play an entire game (and season).  

Me too. I had assumed a 2-2 start based on the teams we face and all the new pieces and changes on offensive side of ball, but this defense is looking so good I’m changing my prediction to a 3-1 start. 

Our offensive line is going to have some bumps, make a few mistakes the first few games, but the talent is clearly there. Lindstrom and McGary have me fired up. During the continued gelling process (which includes a few anticipated mental mistakes by the newbies, and timing in running game since Free hardly played any snaps and we played so many different OL this preseason) 

But while OL gels, this defense looks like it might be able to pick up the slack and make up for the growing curve on offense I expect.

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Me too. I had assumed a 2-2 start based on the teams we face and all the new pieces and changes on offensive side of ball, but this defense is looking so good I’m changing my prediction to a 3-1 start. 

Our offensive line is going to have some bumps, make a few mistakes the first few games, but the talent is clearly there. Lindstrom and McGary have me fired up. During the continued gelling process (which includes a few anticipated mental mistakes by the newbies, and timing in running game since Free hardly played any snaps and we played so many different OL this preseason) 

But while OL gels, this defense looks like it might be able to pick up the slack and make up for the growing curve on offense I expect.

We haven't had a "road grader" since when? Clabo? 

1 minute ago, Flying Falcon said:

We haven't had a "road grader" since when? Clabo? 

Yep, Clabo and Dahl were the last nasties we had. We usually had “technicians” on the line that got bullied by the bad boys.

cant wait to see every run to the right, knowing these two rookies will be out to punish the guys in front of them!

23 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, Clabo and Dahl were the last nasties we had. We usually had “technicians” on the line that got bullied by the bad boys.

cant wait to see every run to the right, knowing these two rookies will be out to punish the guys in front of them!

there won't be any uncontested cheap shots on Matt down in stinky town again with this line, you can BANK that