For the preseason, Falcons held opponents to 21% on 3rd and 4th down

falconidae

20 hours ago, falconidae said:

For the preseason, Falcons held opponents to  13 of 63 on 3rd down, and 2 of 7 on 4th down, for 21% for the preseason.

This falcons defense may be really good this year. How good they've been has been obscured by some turnovers that gave the opponents short fields.

Lost in the shuffle of Bryant and Mcgary threads is this. The falcons defense has been straight balling the last two games. The dline has been borderline dominant. Two of the skins td's came against the second team after two muffed punts deep in their own territory. There was that goal line stand Riley made two stuffs on, and had the second teamers facing the skins starters.

I'm excited about the upcoming season that barring catastrophic injury luck, should be a good one.

20 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

The difference is there with the way they been coached.Alot more attacking.Begs to question why MM didn’t have the same mindset.

IN fairness to MM, he was thrown into a bad situation with injuries. And, MM is a good coach but he aint Quinn when it comes to coaching defense. And, it's easier for Quinn as head coach to run the defense as compared to MM, who had to coach defense within the guidelines Quinn wanted it coached.

33 minutes ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

Lost in the shuffle of Bryant and Mcgary threads is this. The falcons defense has been straight balling the last two games. The dline has been borderline dominant. Two of the skins td's came against the second team after two muffed punts deep in their own territory. There was that goal line stand Riley made two stuffs on, and had the second teamers facing the skins starters.

I'm excited about the upcoming season that barring catastrophic injury luck, should be a good one.

IN fairness to MM, he was thrown into a bad situation with injuries. And, MM is a good coach but he aint Quinn when it comes to coaching defense. And, it's easier for Quinn as head coach to run the defense as compared to MM, who had to coach defense within the guidelines Quinn wanted it coached.

True injuries didn’t help him but I’d live and die by the sword.I’d rather get burned attacking than sit back and get carved.Death by a 1000 cuts.The latter was my issue with MM.Position coach yes DC juries still out on that one.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

True injuries didn’t help him but I’d live and die by the sword.I’d rather get burned attacking than sit back and get carved.Death by a 1000 cuts.The latter was my issue with MM.Position coach yes DC juries still out on that one.

I agree. I'd rather attack an offense, force them to react to me versus the opposite. While that strategy might get you beat deep, sitting back and playing zone down after down will get you beat by the good qb's time after time.

Plus, if you lead a group of men, they will generally do what is asked of them, what is required of them.

An attacking defense requires a higher level of play than sitting back in zone, and it shows confidence by the coach in his team. Most importantly, deep down every player on that defense wants to attack versus sitting back in zone.

5 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Tackling seems to be much better.

Hopefully Rico gets more full speed reps. He missed a couple that were very uncharacteristic for him. Most of the mistackles that I saw from the team as a whole, involved the defender diving due to being out of position or not in a place to form tackle. 

I hadn't paid attention to the tackling cuz been busy geeking at all the other shiny new toys, but yeah, y'all right.

One thing life has taught me, is a group of men perform better when they believe in the guy leading them. No one is at their best when lodged deep behind some idiot who is boss because of *** kissing acumen instead of being good at the job.

It's no different on the football field.

Edit: My post contains mention of an idiot. Said idiot is a generic idiot and is not a specific indictment of MM or anyone else.

Edited by Fiddlin John's Ghost

7 minutes ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

I hadn't paid attention to the tackling cuz been busy geeking at all the other shiny new toys, but yeah, y'all right.

One thing life has taught me, is a group of men perform better when they believe in the guy leading them. No one is at their best when lodged deep behind some idiot who is boss because of *** kissing acumen instead of being good at the job.

It's no different on the football field.

A little harsh perhaps, but I see a drastic improvement in fundamentals, design and attitude. Since DQ as DC..

On both lines. Including LBs on the D.

24 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

A little harsh perhaps, but I see a drastic improvement in fundamentals, design and attitude. Since DQ as DC..

On both lines. Including LBs on the D.

Oh wait, I wasnt throwing shade on  MM in any way with that post, I just meant in general.

Lemme rephrase, when a group of men see an improvement in their leader, they will perform better. LIke we have both times Quinn has taken over coaching the defense. And this aint an indictment of MM or anyone else, Quinn is a good teacher of defense, along with being good at scheme. He is amongst the best according to those who played and coached for him and with him. That is a testament to how good Quinn is, not how bad MM or anyone else is.

I am not one to just bash anyone that plays at the NFL level. Or the high school level for that matter. Just to sniff the field as a practice squad player, or to be an assistant at that level, requires a level of talent, hard work, sacrifice, etc most of us dream to achieve, especially me.

I apologize if it came out that way. I apologize to MM, Sark, Duke Riley and anyone else I've ever critiqued harshly. I will edit my post.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

And the falcons did what you're supposed to do against bad teams- shut them down. There were 1 or 2 sustained drives against the Falcons, most of the opponents scores came from short fields off of turnovers.

Other than losing the games..but whatever. It's preseason. The stats dont matter.

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

To be fair...the Jags, Dolphins, and Redskins are really bad teams.

They are all nfl teams. On any given Sunday a 1-7 team can beat a 7-1 team. And the jags are not a bad team. They had a bad qb. But let’s play you’re game. We’re also a bad team because our record was 7-9 last season right?