Atlfalcons08

Matt Bryant Trying Out For Falcons Tomorrow

381 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SoldMySoul said:

Hey, I saw the kicks he was making on Twitter. He looked solid!! But we all get brittle with age. Devil’s advocate: if Matt is still up to the task and they get two more good years from him and kick the can down the road, what’s not to like? But it is possible injury rears it’s ugly head again. 

Good luck to Matt!!! I have always been a fan.

How can you not be a fan of Matt Bryant? 

He has literally made almost every kick over his Falcons’ careers.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

How can you not be a fan of Matt Bryant? 

He has literally made almost every kick over his Falcons’ careers.

As far as consistency, you can’t argue. 

I became in fan in 2008 when Matt Ryan was drafted. So besides those two first years, Money Matt has been apart of my Falcons fandom. I was at the dome when he made that kick in 2012 against the Seahawks and countless other game winning kicks. Dude has been a stud and is literally second TO ME in the impact I've seen on this team apart from Ryan himself.

That being said, he is old. I truly don't have a ton of faith in him. I will readily admit it's completely possible I am wrong. I'm also way more confident in him than I am in Gio. But fact stands, whether this year or next year, we need to find another long term kicker. Teams don't win without one. It's a big deal

4 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

As far as consistency, you can’t argue. 

What else is there? He is consistent and he makes long kicks also.

Do you wish he had more hair?

rounz likes this

Sign him! I don't give a **** if Matt gets hurt in week 2 or 3, still worth it.  We can scratch up something ,as good as we already have now, anytime. If Bryant gets signed by another team , then there is no going back. We need to find a good young kicker, if we want to go younger next year.

2 hours ago, vel said:

My stance on this still doesn't change. Betting on a 44 year old kicker isn't smart long term. Signing Bryant after week one allows them to sign him to a non-guaranteed deal. Basically week to week. That tells me they see he is older and injury prone at this point. He's money and I love him. But if he strains a hammy kicking a 45 yarder, what good is he the rest of that game? Next week? Etc. 

At some point, we have to move on. If they don't think Tavecchio is the answer, then cool. But we can't keep pinning our hopes to an older guy much longer. 

Best comment in this thread.

Its basically kicking the future Kicker issue down the line and risks our future by delaying development/losing a K at min. Worst case is hurting your preference in event of a Bryant injury this year if you lose GT.

I truly wonder if Walsh scared them more and we don’t POTENTIALLY go with 2 Kickers on 53 man to start the year...but if we do that and Hageman becomes eligible from Exempt list...it’s only a 2 week buy of time.

I think the goal would be to protect Giorgio from teams that could snatch him off our PS goals.

Who would take Tavecchio from our PS in week 3 that had a Kicker or needed one first 2 weeks of year?

vel likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

Who would you rather have going into the season though was the question?  Who gives us our best chance at the position to succeed?

A )  Matt Bryant

B ) Gio

C ) Blair Walsh

D ) Other

Anyone can get injured.  It's the nature of sport.

Older players tend to get get injured more, just the nature of things. if the Falcons sign Bryant, I hope he's healthy all year long. 

Schwarzwald likes this

29 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Older players tend to get get injured more, just the nature of things. if the Falcons sign Bryant, I hope he's healthy all year long. 

I mean, he is a kicker.  They can be effective at 50 if they are healthy and work out regularly.  Tom Brady is doing fine at a far more demanding position

athell likes this

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I mean, he is a kicker.  They can be effective at 50 if they are healthy and work out regularly.  Tom Brady is doing fine at a far more demanding position

What kickers did well at 50

Schwarzwald and vel like this

11 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

What kickers did well at 50

Carney, Morten Anderson, Gary Anderson, Vinatieri & Blanda were all late 40’s.  Blanda may have been 50

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Carney, Morten Anderson, Gary Anderson, Vinatieri & Blanda were all late 40’s.  Blanda may have been 50

So no one made it to 50 neither did Blanda and he was at 60% on field goals made when he was late 40's. **** his entire career his % sucked.

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Blanda was 48, and no, they weren't   late 40's, they were early 40s.

You've got exactly 3 kickers in NFL history-Blanda, Vinatieri,  & Andersen- that have been effective after age 45, only 2- Vinatieri,  & Andersen are over 85%.

Defining effective as someone who makes 25+ FGs, At age 35 , you have 50 effective kickers. At age 38 you have 32. At age 40, you have 18 kickers. At age 44 , you have 5, at age 46, you have 3. At age 47 0 There's a real steep decline after age 40. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You've got exactly 3 kickers in NFL history-Blanda, Vinatieri,  & Andersen- that have been effective after age 45, only 2- Vinatieri,  & Andersen are over 85%.

Defining effective as someone who makes 25+ FGs, At age 35 , you have 50 effective kickers. At age 38 you have 32. At age 40, you have 18 kickers. At age 44 , you have 5, at age 46, you have 3. At age 47 0 There's a real steep decline after age 40. 

This guy. 

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Gary was 47, Morten 46 and AV is 47 I think

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

He got injured kicked a 58 yard field goal and nailed it for us.. How many kickers in the nfl world even be on the field to kick a 58 yarder? Give the man some respect please 

Jen, athell and FalconsIn2012 like this

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

He got injured kicked a 58 yard field goal and nailed it for us.. How many kickers in the nfl world even be on the field to kick a 58 yarder? Give the man some respect please 

There is s first for everything.  But honestly, what about kicking would prevent it?  Limited flexibility I guess

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

There is s first for everything.  But honestly, what about kicking would prevent it?  Limited flexibility I guess

Id be willing to bet, most 20 year old kickers would bust a hammie trying to kick a 60 fg.. Much less nailing it between the uprights 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Gary was 47, Morten 46 and AV is 47 I think

Anderson was 45 his last year,  AV is 47 this year, if he's effective, he'll be the first, Blanda was at 60% his last two years.

Morten was 47 last year, he didn't try a 50 yarder and was 4 of 7 from 40-49.

So actually, there's been 1 effective kicker at 47, Morten, who didn't try a 50 yarder and was 4-7 from 40+}

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

How many 60 yard field goals are made each year? Ill be sitting here waiting for the answer.. Bryant didnt hesitate to walk out of the field and kick that for us

FalconsIn2012 likes this