Atlfalcons08

Matt Bryant Trying Out For Falcons Tomorrow

381 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, athell said:

I just want to congratulate TATF.  Our collective paranoia into the universe really brought this one home.  I'm really proud of us.

Sheeesh. We gotta cut that shlt out. lol  :(

falcons007 likes this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

People who are emotional are the ones who can’t see the problem at Kicker. I don’t care it’s Bryant or Morten Anderson, just kick the **** FG. Putting down Bryant isn’t gonna make the kicker better.

I'm not putting down Bryant. I'm putting down the fan base that are CELEBRATING Giogio's struggles just so the Falcons would bring back Matt Bryant because they don't know how to move on. We're fixing to start season 3 since Super Bowl 51 and we've got clowns here who are still emotionally invested in the outcome of that game and can't let it go because their fragile little ego's can't handle that the Falcons lost a football game. You mark my words, the first time Bryant misses a field goal this year there will be 5 immediate threads pop up calling for Bryant's head. That's the way this fan base is.

vel and kiwifalcon like this

5 minutes ago, athell said:

lol this got you all kinds of ways vel :)

Lol no the ones who act like Bryant is automatic and forget how rocky of a marriage it was initially annoy me. I'm all for moving on one year early vs one year too late. They tried and it's not looking like it may pan out. Even the Pats let Gostkowski hang out in FA for a month before bringing him back. You can make a mistake, just don't double down on it. That's what they are trying to avoid here. 

Just now, vel said:

Lol no the ones who act like Bryant is automatic and forget how rocky of a marriage it was initially annoy me. I'm all for moving on one year early vs one year too late. They tried and it's not looking like it may pan out. Even the Pats let Gostkowski hang out in FA for a month before bringing him back. You can make a mistake, just don't double down on it. That's what they are trying to avoid here. 

They tried, I give them that.  If Gio was hitting more in preseason this would be a non story :(

I can respect them trying to get younger and cheaper at the position...something that will still need to happen next season.

vel, PokerSteve, Schwarzwald and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, athell said:

They tried, I give them that.  If Gio was hitting more in preseason this would be a non story :(

I can respect them trying to get younger and cheaper at the position...something that will still need to happen next season.

Exactly. This is my entire stance in a nutshell. They literally did what fans want to do when it comes to roster building. They even kept a guy they had firsthand experience with instead of finding some random. For some reason, the Italian going 100% last year isn't carrying over to this year. 

I bet you this. If they had let Bryant and Tavecchio walk and brought in Walsh, people would be banging the table for Tavecchio back because he was perfect in 2018. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Exactly!! Vel gets it!

I've said it many times on here, one of the greatest football minds ever, Bill Walsh, operated by the "it's better to get rid of a guy a year too soon rather than a year too late" way of business. It caused some hurt feelings along the way when guys got cut or traded and wanted to go back and rub it in his face, but it worked for him and got the Niners 4 Super Bowl titles in the 80s. He said in his later years after football that he regretted doing business like that, but it was nothing personal, just business.

vel, athell and Schwarzwald like this

The best case scenario to me, would be to sign "Money" Bryant, and keep Tavecchio, too, just in case.  I believe we have the cap space to do that, since Vecc is only due $600,000 +.  That way if Bryant tweaks a hamstring or quad, Tavecchio will still be in the loop and can take over for him --- 

Schwarzwald likes this

Just now, vel said:

Exactly. This is my entire stance in a nutshell. They literally did what fans want to do when it comes to roster building. They even kept a guy they had firsthand experience with instead of finding some random. For some reason, the Italian going 100% last year isn't carrying over to this year. 

Yup.  Which, tbh, they brought in Walsh...they recognized it was a problem and they addressed it.  Walsh was Walsh so they were able to swallow their pride and call Matt.  At the end of the day, they tried Plan B and Plan B didn't work out like they thought.  Adapt and overcome.

It makes me sad to see kickers in their own heads though.  It's depressing.

vel, Schwarzwald and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

I really wish the Falcons would have jumped on Daniel Carlson after the Vikings ill-fated decision to dump him based on the outcome of 1 game last year. Raiders snagged him and he nailed 16/17 kicks for them and looked just like the stud he was at Auburn that got him drafted in the 5th round to begin with.

vel likes this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

The Falcons didn't expect to be in this situation. They tried patience, they tried bringing in some one else who had some experience and a decent make percentage, but he's not showing any real promise of being better.

I'm sure the Falcons scoured the countryside looking for some other kicker who might could do the job before giving up and calling Bryant. In the end, they really had no alternative. That's why ~ for this year only ~ Bryant is going to be the kicker. The FO knows they can't count on him long-term.

Schwarzwald and vel like this

1 minute ago, FalconJim said:

The best case scenario to me, would be to sign "Money" Bryant, and keep Tavecchio, too, just in case.  I believe we have the cap space to do that, since Vecc is only due $600,000 +.  That way if Bryant tweaks a hamstring or quad, Tavecchio will still be in the loop and can take over for him ---

Can't waste a roster spot carrying 2 kickers.

vel likes this

My question is this - if Bryant goes 5 for 9 on Friday, will the local press and fan board here rip him apart like they did with Walsh for his Tuesday "practice" or will they proclaim it no big deal?

In both cases, I would consider it too small of a sample and would really want all 3 three of them to work out at the same time, same conditions, same lengths, etc.  I would want their legs to get tired to find out who really does have the most energy for 4 quarters.

vel and Falconsfan567 like this

1 minute ago, jlrfalcon said:

My question is this - if Bryant goes 5 for 9 on Friday, will the local press and fan board here rip him apart like they did with Walsh for his Tuesday "practice" or will they proclaim it no big deal?

In both cases, I would consider it too small of a sample and would really want all 3 three of them to work out at the same time, same conditions, same lengths, etc.  I would want their legs to get tired to find out who really does have the most energy for 4 quarters.

You didn't cover this scenario in your own thread?  lol

Walsh needs to go.  If they want to have an open comp between Matt and Gio, let's go.

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

There's also no guarantee he doesn't.  You guys dooming him to injury already...have you thought about maybe, just maybe, that strained hamstring (that he returned from btw) was just an acute injury and won't crop back up?  Not like he tore it...

Nobody kicked Julio off the team when he pulled a hammie :shrug:

athell likes this

Just now, FalconJim said:

Didn't we do that part of last year?  Honestly, I don't remember. 

Yes they did, but with all the injuries and guys on IR they were able to. Can't do that this year with how loaded the Falcons are on the defensive side of the ball. Falcons are in a position for the first time in my entire lifetime where they are going to be forced to cut some really good football players on the defensive side of the ball because they don't have room to keep them all. We can't justify carrying 2 kickers in this situation.

FalconJim likes this

Didn't we do that part of last year?  Honestly, I don't remember. 

Sure did. Signed Tavvechio to a multi year deal. If It happens then I’m guessing we carry 3 RB or one less Wr

Schwarzwald likes this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes they did, but with all the injuries and guys on IR they were able to. Can't do that this year with how loaded the Falcons are on the defensive side of the ball. Falcons are in a position for the first time in my entire lifetime where they are going to be forced to cut some really good football players on the defensive side of the ball because they don't have room to keep them all. We can't justify carrying 2 kickers in this situation.

Well, maybe if they do decide to sign Bryant tomorrow, they'll have time to have an intense competition between Bryant and Vecc and see which one they want to keep before having to get down to the 53 on Saturday afternoon... 

3 hours ago, ryantlanta said:

I made a thread during the Jets preseason game about Tachecchio not being the answer and I got flamed. Oh how the tables have turned...

Cookie - You get a cookie - Threadbombing

Well, maybe if they do decide to sign Bryant tomorrow, they'll have time to have an intense competition between Bryant and Vecc and see which one they want to keep before having to get down to the 53 on Saturday afternoon...

If the Falcons sign Matt Bryant then the job is his. They're not going to embarrass him by signing him and then making him "earn" the job in camp at risk of cutting him again. That wouldn't be a good look for either side.

I didn’t really like how Money Matt’s wife was in the mix. I get it, but it would have been better for her to remain mum on the subject. Like her trying to sell a product. We know Matt is money. Can’t remain on top forever. If we bring a ring home and Matt helps do that, this was the best of moves. Anything else looks like some bad crow that was eaten at a higher price. I wasn’t overly happy with the initial cut. But I thought Gio was going to get it done. 

Edited by SoldMySoul