Atlfalcons08

Matt Bryant Trying Out For Falcons Tomorrow

381 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, athell said:

They aren't bringing Matt in to not sign.  Feel like it's a formality at this point...

Bryant isn't the long term answer, no.  This team has a window now though, and Matt gives them their best chance now.  Anything past this season, no clue.

There is no such thing as a window. The Falcons will be in a window next year too. As long as Matt is here, they are in a window. Matt Bryant will not be the Falcons kicker when Matt retires. Eventually, you will have to move on during this "window". Again, if they don't think they have a secured answer this year, bring him back. I'm fine with that. But they'll have to move on. 

Schwarzwald, Ovie_Lover and athell like this

Just now, athell said:

There's also no guarantee he doesn't.  You guys dooming him to injury already...have you thought about maybe, just maybe, that strained hamstring (that he returned from btw) was just an acute injury and won't crop back up?  Not like he tore it...

It wasn't just a hammy though. He had a back issue all year and back issues rarely just go away especially at his age man.

We'll see how he does, I hope he doesn't get hurt again but I'm gonna cringe everytime he kicks it from over 40.

athell and falconidae like this

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don't know. Like I said I haven't watched a single preseason game and if I'm honest I don't look at who's holding

Buuuuuuuttttttt being the holder for 5+ years doesn't mean you wont lose your touch. Just food for thought.

Not only that, but the holder has had to move from placing the ball with his dominant rt hand to his non dominant lt hand. Maybe we should focus on finding a lt handed holder.

There's also no guarantee he doesn't.  You guys dooming him to injury already...have you thought about maybe, just maybe, that strained hamstring (that he returned from btw) was just an acute injury and won't crop back up?  Not like he tore it...

This^^^^^!!!

athell likes this

Just now, vel said:

There is no such thing as a window. The Falcons will be in a window next year too. As long as Matt is here, they are in a window. Matt Bryant will not be the Falcons kicker when Matt retires. Eventually, you will have to move on during this "window". Again, if they don't think they have a secured answer this year, bring him back. I'm fine with that. But they'll have to move on. 

Fans clamor for us to be the Pat's but when we get rid of an aging player they get mad. They say "I'd rather get rid of him a year too early than a year too late" like BB but now we do it and they're pissed.

vel likes this

Just now, vel said:

Sure there is.  The window is Matt and Julio.  That is our window.

Just now, TD_Lover said:

It wasn't just a hammy though. He had a back issue all year and back issues rarely just go away especially at his age man.

We'll see how he does, I hope he doesn't get hurt again but I'm gonna cringe everytime he kicks it from over 40.

I get it, I have back issues, have for years...I take care of it and I can go out and play any sport I want, lift, etc.  It's all self care.  I just don't buy the "because he got hurt last year he is going to get hurt this year" thing.  Could he?  Sure.  Could he stay healthy?  Sure.

Ovie_Lover, rounz and PokerSteve like this

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Possible issues in the future for Bryant are concerning, but not as concerning as right now we don't have a FG kicker who can kick FG's. :ninja:

Agreed.  Right now the right choice is to roll the dice with Matt.  Not one bit worried about his ability, just worried about his ability to stay healthy.  Go with him, and burn the other bridge when the time comes.

PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

Just now, TD_Lover said:

Fans clamor for us to be the Pat's but when we get rid of an aging player they get mad. They say "I'd rather get rid of him a year too early than a year too late" like BB but now we do it and they're pissed.

I wasn't even that upset that they let Matt go.  I get it.  However, I want the best possible and viable option at every position.

So let me ask you, who would you rather have this year?  Matt Bryant or Gio/Walsh?

PokerSteve likes this

2 minutes ago, TD_Lover said:

Exact.....ly.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I get it, I have back issues, have for years...I take care of it and I can go out and play any sport I want, lift, etc.  It's all self care.  I just don't buy the "because he got hurt last year he is going to get hurt this year" thing.  Could he?  Sure.  Could he stay healthy?  Sure.

He could stay healthy but his chances are smaller. I'd rather get rid of him now than have him get hurt and we are out a kicker during the game.

athell likes this

52 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Looks like Blank put his foot down and told the front office to stop jerking around with our kicking and at least try him out.

I do hope we do find a younger long term solution to our kicking spot but I'd be ok with another year of Bryant.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Arthur said, "I've seen enough!"

PokerSteve likes this

TD and Quinn sure did do a terrible job with this one. I’m sure Blank brought them into his office over this. Should have just asked Bryant to take a pay cut from the beginning 

I wasn't even that upset that they let Matt go.  I get it.  However, I want the best possible and viable option at every position.

So let me ask you, who would you rather have this year?  Matt Bryant or Gio/Walsh?

Honestly I think no matter who we sign fans on Twitter and social media are gonna rip him to shreds from day 1 Nd he's going to get in his own head.

That's why I think Gio fell apart. He was 5/5 and fans still **** on the poor guy.

athell likes this

Just now, TD_Lover said:

He could stay healthy but his chances are smaller. I'd rather get rid of him now than have him get hurt and we are out a kicker during the game.

Who would you rather have going into the season though was the question?  Who gives us our best chance at the position to succeed?

A )  Matt Bryant

B ) Gio

C ) Blair Walsh

D ) Other

Anyone can get injured.  It's the nature of sport.

PokerSteve and ButSkiuup like this

Just now, TD_Lover said:

Honestly I think no matter who we sign fans on Twitter and social media are gonna rip him to shreds from day 1 Nd he's going to get in his own head.

That's why I think Gio fell apart. He was 5/5 and fans still **** on the poor guy.

If Gio fell apart because fans and media are ripping him, he ain't the guy we need...

PokerSteve, mqg96 and duckhoa like this

So I guess we lose Matt and Julio after this year? No. This whole window crap is nonsense. Matt has another 4-5 years. Does Bryant? No. So using the whole "we need him because we're in a window" crap is pointless. 

Yes, he could stay healthy. But a 44 year old kicker who's already suffered multiple non contact injuries over the span of 16 games isn't suddenly going to improve in that area. That's my point. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

So I guess we lose Matt and Julio after this year? No. This whole window crap is nonsense. Matt has another 4-5 years. Does Bryant? No. So using the whole "we need him because we're in a window" crap is pointless. 

Yes, he could stay healthy. But a 44 year old kicker who's already suffered multiple non contact injuries over the span of 16 games isn't suddenly going to improve in that area. That's my point. 

I get your point, and you are correct, eventually we will have to move on.  But answer the question I asked YO...err...TD lol just now.  Who gives us our best chance at the position this year?

You guys are dooming him to more injuries, he could very well kick the entire year next year and be just fine.  That's my point.  He pulled a hammy and had a sore back ffs

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

I mean yeah I agree. He's getting older and more injury prone, but even in that condition he still gives us a better chance than Gio or Walsh, or most kickers in the league. Every kicker misses, he's just the best option, and a better option than most.

I get your point, and you are correct, eventually we will have to move on.  But answer the question I asked YO...err...TD lol just now.  Who gives us our best chance at the position this year?

You guys are dooming him to more injuries, he could very well kick the entire year next year and be just fine.  That's my point.  He pulled a hammy and had a sore back ffs

Basically what I just said.

5 minutes ago, athell said:

If Gio fell apart because fans and media are ripping him, he ain't the guy we need...

You say that but kickers almost always improve after a fresh start man. Clear the head, have homer fans hype you up and build your confidence and boom.

7 minutes ago, athell said:

Who would you rather have going into the season though was the question?  Who gives us our best chance at the position to succeed?

A )  Matt Bryant

B ) Gio

C ) Blair Walsh

D ) Other

Anyone can get injured.  It's the nature of sport.

Kai Forbath would be my choice