Atlfalcons08

Matt Bryant Trying Out For Falcons Tomorrow

381 posts in this topic

Looks like Blank put his foot down and told the front office to stop jerking around with our kicking and at least try him out.

I do hope we do find a younger long term solution to our kicking spot but I'd be ok with another year of Bryant.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

ill be honest... im shocked .... the guy looked good last year.... that 56 yarder vs the giants was huge

Well he was not THE kicker, maybe he had less pressure on him knowing he was a backup trying to impress as opposed to you are THE kicker and your job is now always on the line.

rounz likes this

Just now, Statick said:

This one is better.

Both work.

I just like "Money, money, money, money, money". Over "Here comes the money".

I don't think the issue with Matt was every anything more than cap dollars he want vs. cap dollars the Falcons want to pay. Perhaps that matters less as opening day approaches. Interesting that no one else made him a better offer prior to this point. 

I'm a fan, but I'm always leery of aging players coming off injuries. We shall see. 

My stance on this still doesn't change. Betting on a 44 year old kicker isn't smart long term. Signing Bryant after week one allows them to sign him to a non-guaranteed deal. Basically week to week. That tells me they see he is older and injury prone at this point. He's money and I love him. But if he strains a hammy kicking a 45 yarder, what good is he the rest of that game? Next week? Etc. 

At some point, we have to move on. If they don't think Tavecchio is the answer, then cool. But we can't keep pinning our hopes to an older guy much longer. 

I just want what's best for this team. If Tavecchio cant handle the pressure of "being the man" so be it. 

I hope Bryant, if he is signed is healthy and put everyone right down the middle like he has done for us for so long

***on a side note coming in to any thread no matter what the topic or website, and bragging that you were right and trying to rub people's faces in it to make yourself look better is the measure of a small man

1 minute ago, vel said:

My stance on this still doesn't change. Betting on a 44 year old kicker isn't smart long term. Signing Bryant after week one allows them to sign him to a non-guaranteed deal. Basically week to week. That tells me they see he is older and injury prone at this point. He's money and I love him. But if he strains a hammy kicking a 45 yarder, what good is he the rest of that game? Next week? Etc. 

At some point, we have to move on. If they don't think Tavecchio is the answer, then cool. But we can't keep pinning our hopes to an older guy much longer. 

Would suck to lose a game because he hurt himself on a field goal in the 1st and now we don't have a kicker.

Big waste of everyone's time. Should have just kept him. I'll take an aging Matt Bryant over anyone in the league honestly...

Just hope he's been working out on his own all this time and won't have any rust.

Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The question is: do we hope Italian Ice misses in the game to ensure Bryant is signed

They aren't bringing Matt in to not sign.  Feel like it's a formality at this point...

1 minute ago, vel said:

Bryant isn't the long term answer, no.  This team has a window now though, and Matt gives them their best chance now.  Anything past this season, no clue.

I wonder how different people feel about Bryant has Carrol not called a timeout before his field goal in the playoffs. People seem to ignore he missed.

Geneaut likes this

Just now, athell said:

They aren't bringing Matt in to not sign.  Feel like it's a formality at this point...

Bryant isn't the long term answer, no.  This team has a window now though, and Matt gives them their best chance now.  Anything past this season, no clue.

Even then there's no guarantee he makes it through this season. 

vel likes this

Just now, TD_Lover said:

Would suck to lose a game because he hurt himself on a field goal in the 1st and now we don't have a kicker.

That's part of my point. Fans are so emotional. "Gimme old Bryant over any one!" is all they feel. But if what you said happens, they'd just be like "I don't care!". Back injury and ham injury at a non-contact position. Doesn't just get better. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

1 minute ago, BloodBurgerOne said:

Big waste of everyone's time. Should have just kept him. I'll take an aging Matt Bryant over anyone in the league honestly...

Just hope he's been working out on his own all this time and won't have any rust.

He has been, he's posted videos on Twitter of his workouts...

PokerSteve and mikeg272 like this

Just now, TD_Lover said:

Even then there's no guarantee he makes it through this season. 

There's also no guarantee he doesn't.  You guys dooming him to injury already...have you thought about maybe, just maybe, that strained hamstring (that he returned from btw) was just an acute injury and won't crop back up?  Not like he tore it...