E. T.

Whitesox vs Braves

257 posts in this topic

Anthopolous interview with DOB

On injured players..

Dansby is the only one who’s come back. The other guys (besides Riley) are still a ways off. They haven’t even started rehab yet. B-Mac, we don’t think it’ll be a long stay, so we’ll see when we get back. Ender and Nick, that’ll be sometime in mid- to late-September, depending on how things go. We’re still in August. I mean, that’s not even on the radar right now. So this is what we’ve got.

On Markakis..

Just knowing him, his recovery, his rehab work — I think he heals well — I expect him to be back. I just don’t know when. We want to make sure he’s strong.

On the slump..

You go through a stretch one way or the other. We’ve pitched well, we’ve won some close games (during the team hitting slump). You’re just trying to win as many games as you can. It’s going to be cyclical in a lot of ways. So you’re always looking at everything — your rotation, your bullpen, your offense. Right now, we’re just a little cold.

On the lack of promised off days for some key guys..

The one thing you learn in baseball: You can’t be rigid. And you can plan all you want, but you have to be able to adjust for your plans accordingly. And you have to bank your wins. In a perfect world, guys get rest and so on, of course. In a perfect world, would our rotation have had (Mike Foltynewitz) for the whole way and (Kevin) Gausman the whole way and (Sean) Newcomb the whole way? And Ender and everybody playing? Things change, and you need to adjust. Over the course of the season, you have to adjust to all kinds of things, and one of those things has been guys have been playing.

Obviously, Snit (manager Brian Snitker) is the one who makes up the lineup at this point. Part of it as well was (Johan) Camargo was going to get more at-bats, but when he did play, he wasn’t a productive hitter. And I’m not trying to disparage him; I’m just stating the facts. And that’s why he’s down (at Triple A) getting at-bats.

So there’s a combination of things. We could have continued to force the issue and just given guys days for the sake of giving days. But part of the thought was that our bench was strong, we’d get guys more days (off). And our bench is strong. But at the end of the day, I can’t argue with the results.

That’s the thing: Yes, in theory, the plan was that. But right now, the results on the field have been good. So, Snit’s done a good job getting wins. And at the end of the day, sure, there’s all kinds of things — you’d like to line up your relievers a certain way and watch innings and all this kind of stuff. But I said this to (then-Blue Jays manager) John Gibbons during the playoffs in 2015: Whether he used David Price out of the bullpen or not, his job is to win the game. And he won the game. So at the end of the day, you’ve just got to adjust.

On extending Donaldson..

If we were going to engage in anybody or were in current discussions, I wouldn’t tell you or anybody else; I wouldn’t tell anybody that. By design. Because then it becomes J.D. wants it, Nick Markakis wants it, Dallas Keuchel wants it … and then there’s another narrative. It just becomes a distraction — same way with trades. So, I don’t have a general rule or philosophy on in-season, out of season, things like that. In a perfect world, you let the season play out. You’d rather not negotiate contracts in-season, just because of the distraction. You’re focused on winning games; you don’t want to take any chance that you could take away from that. So I’d say that would be a generally preferred route. I don’t want to say it’s set in stone because there might be a scenario, whether it’s the current year or two or three from now, where we do (in-season) deals with players.

On having Waters and Pache join Acuna next year..

It’s the same argument with Riley, but Riley spent more time in Triple A than they did; they just spent the last month there. What you hope is that players, with their performance, force their way up here. Then you just make adjustments. Things change. Guys get hurt, guys can change positions, guys can move around. We love those guys (Waters and Pache); we think they’re going to be really good players. We just have no idea when. And you can’t go into a season counting on those guys in the same way that, in our minds, we think Austin is going to be a fantastic player, but I don’t think it would have made sense for us to go into the season counting on him. What if there’s an injury? What if the performance isn’t there?

You can’t rewind and go back to the offseason once the season starts. So you’re better off … I never understood the issue of having too many good players. It takes care of itself. And you want to be in a position where if not, we have too many players, we don’t have enough innings, we don’t have enough at-bats. That’s the outcome we’d love to have. That means you’re in great shape. Because ultimately things happen. It could be the first month; it could be the fifth month — look what’s going on now.

You know, from our standpoint, hopefully, those two guys emerge and force our hand. You can make trades, you can do all kinds of things. If guys are ready and playing that well, you find a way to get them up here. Just like with Riley.

On September additions...

We’ve talked about it a little. I don’t know what we’re going to do. The thought is ideally you bring up guys that have a chance to contribute and play. So we may just — our No. 1 priority is here (major-league team), but if we know guys are going to be up and rarely if ever pitch, or they’re just going to pitch in blowout scenarios or not get at-bats, (Triple-A) Gwinnett has a chance to be in the playoffs. So why not let them continue to have those guys, win and get development time and so on? With guys we think are going to be used and could contribute right away, I would expect those guys to be up early, and then we may just stagger it as needs come along.

So for the sake of argument, I don’t think you’ll see us call up a ton of arms on (Sept.) 1. When you call up a bunch of arms, in how many scenarios are they all going to pitch? So maybe it’s one or two (pitchers) or something like that. Maybe it’s a position player or two. But we haven’t made any determinations there yet. And we’ve got guys coming off the IL that’ll count.

On Julios option..

I’ll tell you this, as a general philosophy, when it comes to any guys with options, we will normally take every day that we have to make the determination. There’s no reason not to. It’s like five days after the World Series. Hopefully, you’re the last team standing. But you have more time to get a sense of everything in the offseason. There’s so much that goes into those things. But just as a general rule, as a general manager, the last day that we have to do it is the last day that we have to do it. You look at, years ago, Aaron Boone got hurt in the offseason. You just don’t know. Anything can happen. There’s just no reason to make decisions sooner than you have to.

On the postseason rotation..

You have to get through September and see who’s throwing the ball well.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Matchups for the series..

Friday, 7:20, Ivan Nova vs Fried

Saturday,  7:20, Reynaldo Lopez vs Keuchel 

Sunday, 5:10, Lucas Giolito vs Julio

You read that right, a rare 5:10 start on Sunday.

25 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

That's a great time to fire up the grill and watch some B-ball.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

My brother is gonna be so pissed. He's missing Giolito by 1 day and he was the one he really wanted to see pitch. We were both hoping for a Fried vs. Giolito matchup since they were high school teammates and it would have been a cool story.

Nats and Phillies both had tonight off as well. Mets played and are down 4-1 in the 9th. They'll drop to 13 back, 5 back of the Cubs for the #2 WC. Also would make the Mets 0-6 in the big stretch against the Braves and Cubs. 

Posted (edited)

Also in September the Braves have 4 days off and the Nats have 2 days off. Plus they have a double header the last week of the season against Philly. 

Remaining schedules

Nats schedule is 10 games ( MIA, NYM, ATL) then day off. 9 games ( MIN, ATL , STL)then last day off. Finish up with 11 games ( MIA, PHI with a DH,  CLE)in 10 days. 

Braves 5 games ( CHW , TOR) then off. 11 games ( Nats, PHI, Nats) then day off. 6 games ( PHI, SF)then off. 2 games ( KC) then off. Finish with 3 games against Mets. 

Edited by brdu4

15 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Nats and Phillies both had tonight off as well. Mets played and are down 4-1 in the 9th. They'll drop to 13 back, 5 back of the Cubs for the #2 WC. Also would make the Mets 0-6 in the big stretch against the Braves and Cubs. 

I hope the Nats and Phils take a dump in Sept. I'd much rather see the Cubs, Mil, or Dbacks get in as WC.

McCann, Riley and maybe a couple of others will join the team Sunday. Anthopolous plans to let the key guys remain in Gwinnett and participate in the playoffs. Cervelli will not need the IL. 

My god Flowers is right back in there again tonight.

Why does this sack of **** get chance after chance to prove his still a sack of ****?

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Why does this sack of **** get chance after chance to prove his still a sack of ****?

Probably to give cervelli a chance to fully recover

TheTrue7 likes this

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I heard if you say his name 3 times he'll appear.

I’m gonna laugh if he comes back as a flame throwing, shut down pen arm.  Like he’s been in reserve and reconstruction for a year. 

51 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Only catcher right now. Cervelli wont need IL but they're hoping to let him take another night off. DOB said he thinks Cervelli will play tomorrow but is likely emergency only tonight.

40 minutes ago, Born Again Georgian said:

I’m gonna laugh if he comes back as a flame throwing, shut down pen arm.  Like he’s been in reserve and reconstruction for a year. 

Don't think he ever threw hard.

Good stat from the broadcast. Opponents hit .413 against Fried when he falls  behind. They hit .198 when hes ahead.